Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Old May 31, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by MorganB
I would check in when the Diamond Desk is open but generally the NOR1 upgrade goes through the day before. You can tell when your reservation room type changes. I know the diamond desk is closed in the evenings.... I think they close around 6 but not sure. The diamond office is very good about giving you all of your "perks" like the free drinks and starbucks vouchers.
I cannot argue with your experience at the Diamond Desk/Office, but it certainly wasn't mine. I had to go back down to the office in order to get the "breakfast" coupon at Starbucks after overhearing folks on the elevator mentioning it. Maybe the lady in the office was having a bad day, but I was not offered the breakfast coupon on my first visit and I was never offered the waters or the breakfast upgrade. Only thing I got on my initial visit were the drink coupons, nothing else.
Old May 31, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by JerseySlime
I cannot argue with your experience at the Diamond Desk/Office, but it certainly wasn't mine. I had to go back down to the office in order to get the "breakfast" coupon at Starbucks after overhearing folks on the elevator mentioning it. Maybe the lady in the office was having a bad day, but I was not offered the breakfast coupon on my first visit and I was never offered the waters or the breakfast upgrade. Only thing I got on my initial visit were the drink coupons, nothing else.
Wow I certainly hope your experience isn't the new norm!

I've stayed about 5 times at the W=A as a Diamond and have always been offered all perks without asking , excluding room upgrades which I have always done via NOR 1 because I like getting suites and am willing to pay. Maybe it was an off day for the Diamond Desk when you went. They've always been very welcoming and helpful to me. I hope the service isn't sliding because I think that is one of the best things about this hotel. The rooms generally are a bit on the shabby worn side but always very clean and for those that enjoy historical buildings of architectural interest the W=A fits the bill but I do agree that it is not what I would consider a premier property.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:14 am

Does anyone feel your chance for a Diamond upgrade at the Waldor Astoria property is greater if it is a paid stay versus an award?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by MorganB
I've stayed about 5 times at the W=A as a Diamond and have always been offered all perks without asking , excluding room upgrades which I have always done via NOR 1 because I like getting suites and am willing to pay. Maybe it was an off day for the Diamond Desk when you went. They've always been very welcoming and helpful to me.
That jibes with my experiences as a Diamond at the W=A although my sample size is only two stays. I'm also 2/2 on suite upgrades (at check-in, not paid via NOR1). On my second trip the printers in the Diamond check-in room were down so they couldn't print out all the drink, breakfast, etc. vouchers right away but they were delivered to my room later once the printers came up without me having to call down and ask.

Originally Posted by Centurion
Does anyone feel your chance for a Diamond upgrade at the Waldor Astoria property is greater if it is a paid stay versus an award?
I don't. My two stays (one paid, one Q3FN award) both resulted in very nice suite upgrades. Was staying with my mom on the second trip and the Diamond check-in lady went out of her way to find us a suite with two beds. First trip was a biz trip and I think it might have been a career-limiting move when my non-status boss saw the size of my suite!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Originally Posted by Sohan
I was just looked at the W=A rates for reward bookings, and it had high season rate of 37,500 a night but I just looked again today and it's back to 50k/night.

Was it a glitch or a promo?
Just booked the W=A for 30,000 (!!!) points for July 16th. This closest I could come to this, was a Hampton Inn in Secaucus (had to debate between the two for a while). All other Manhattan hotels were at least 40,000 points.
Does this sound like a glitch to anyone? I don't even remember rates this low before the devaluation. The reward was listed as a low season reward, with 1 King, 1 Queen, or 1 Double available for this rate. After the reservation was made, the HHonors activity page says: "Expanded Rewards PS - Waldorf -30,000."
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bigsaabowski
Just booked the W=A for 30,000 (!!!) points for July 16th. This closest I could come to this, was a Hampton Inn in Secaucus (had to debate between the two for a while). All other Manhattan hotels were at least 40,000 points.
Does this sound like a glitch to anyone? I don't even remember rates this low before the devaluation. The reward was listed as a low season reward, with 1 King, 1 Queen, or 1 Double available for this rate. After the reservation was made, the HHonors activity page says: "Expanded Rewards PS - Waldorf -30,000."
its not a glitch....i booked this low season award rate for a couple of nights last summer....
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
That's a point-stretcher rate, which seems accurate.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by bigsaabowski
Thanks for the info bigsaabowski!

I had 2 weekends booked for August at the Doubletree Suites TS and I changed the 2nd one for 2 rooms at the WA. It means an extra 20.000 points but it is worth it for me.

A new feature of the Hilton web is that you can book awards for more than 1 room at the same time. ^
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Silver, BMI Diamond Club Silver.
Waldorf Astoria New York In March Help Required Please

Hi,
First post on here and just after some advice. I'm HHonors Gold & booked in W=A NYC in March 2012 as a surprise for my wife's 40th B/day. Managed to get a Good Advance Purchase deal and have booked an Astor Suite.
Last Week HH contacted me to say I can upgrade at a discounted rate to a better room and I don't know what to do as was hoping I might get Comp Upgrade when we arrive as I've always done well with upgrades. Spoke with Reservations at W=A to tell them this is a surprise gift for my wife and they said there's nothing on my record to indicate this and as its Advance Purchase they can't add details, which I found odd. Any suggestions please. Is it worth paying extra now or should I hold out in case I might get an upgrade ?

Thanks Simon
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LeedsSimon
Hi,
First post on here and just after some advice. I'm HHonors Gold & booked in W=A NYC in March 2012 as a surprise for my wife's 40th B/day. Managed to get a Good Advance Purchase deal and have booked an Astor Suite.
Last Week HH contacted me to say I can upgrade at a discounted rate to a better room and I don't know what to do as was hoping I might get Comp Upgrade when we arrive as I've always done well with upgrades. Spoke with Reservations at W=A to tell them this is a surprise gift for my wife and they said there's nothing on my record to indicate this and as its Advance Purchase they can't add details, which I found odd. Any suggestions please. Is it worth paying extra now or should I hold out in case I might get an upgrade ?

Thanks Simon
In the past I have been told by the Diamond desk people there at the hotel that is not at all uncommon for then to have 150-200 Diamond members staying there on any given night. So chance of an upgrade for a Gold member would be scarce, IMO. If the upgrade is that important for the occasion I would pay for it.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Silver, BMI Diamond Club Silver.
Thanks for the advice NoteNut, Im 5 stays away from Diamond Status so unlikely i'll get there as well in the short time this year. I was happy with the room I booked and only got me thinking once they offered me the upgrade opportunity, I've been lucky enough to stay at W=A twice before and got upgrades on both occaisons, so hotel probably wasn't that busy when i went. We won't be checking in until late as well, so that may also be a factor.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'd say plan on not getting the complimentary upgrade upon check-in and be in for a pleasant surprise if it does happen. Which means that if you think the upgrade from what already sounds like a very nice suite is worth what the WA is charging, then spring for it.

Like you, I find the WA Reservations agent comment that they can't enter additional info in your record odd...actually, almost unbelievable for any hotel, not mention one of the WA's supposed stature. I'd call Hilton and perhaps call back the WA, as they should be able to enter info about this special occasion in your record (and, while they're at it, enter into the record a polite request for an upgrade if possible--it can't hurt to ask). That in turn might translate into some kind of a pleasant little perk for you and your wife, albeit probably not an upgrade.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:25 pm

Cheers Thunderroad, I took your advice and rang Hilton WorldWide reservations and they said they can't add any additional comments or update my reservation as i've already paid for it. I had mentioned it was for a special occasion when i first made the booking, but turns out that the original Hilton booking agent forgot to add comments on. Next stop is to try W=A in house reservations again with what you suggested.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:29 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Don't take this the wrong way, but if it's a special occasion as you mention (wife's 40th), why wouldn't you just pay the upgrade offer now to confirm it and be done? You didn't mention if it's a weekend stay or weeknight stay. The concentration of Golds/Diamonds is slightly less on the weekends, but a lot of tourists will pay the going rate for confirmed suites as well so the upgrade inventory is still limited and even moreso for you as a Gold.

The Astor suites are nice, but on the small side. They are 2 rooms, separated by a pair of french doors, but both the living room and bedroom are rather small.

If they are offering an upgrade, you want to get at least a mini-suite or 1 Bedroom suite on floor 25 or 27 (26 is the Astoria level that has those suites too, but probably a higher upgrade charge).
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:36 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I would put your chances of an upgrade as a gold to be about zero. Even as a diamond, who has not stayed there before, about zero.

Or less.

It's a very diamond heavy property, and they treat repeat visitors with better perks than first time visitors.

I would buy the upgrade if you want it , and not hope for them to offer you one from the suite you currently have.

I've also been told they can't add anything to a prepaid reservation, so that's not unusual.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.