Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 8:34 pm
Original Member

Double Tree in TS is suites - I have not been there in a few years to comment on breakfast - but something to consider also.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Worth a visit.

We did a one nighter at the WA, with great view of the Chrysler building.

Even if you don't stay, its worth a wander around the lobby + peacock alley bar
Old May 23, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
We did a one nighter at the WA, with great view of the Chrysler building.

Even if you don't stay, its worth a wander around the lobby + peacock alley bar
Yes I saw the lobby when waiting 45 mins to check in. Also stood in the bar as there were no seats.

One of the most over rated hotels out there, will never stay here again.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by stevie
One of the most over rated hotels out there...
A Towers Suite might make you re-consider, but I would agree with you if paying $300+/night for a standard room.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Time of year?

Yes I saw the lobby when waiting 45 mins to check in. Also stood in the bar as there were no seats.

I guess it depends when you go and how you pay,
We were there in early Sept 2013 during the Tennis, not that busy, upgraded room as Gold HH, we used a free night certificate from a credit card deal, great occasion.

Also stayed at MidTown & Millennium during same trip, both good service + upgraded, great long wknd for first time in NYC.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Well as usual, FT input saves me again!

I'd booked a few nights a Waldorf at way over $US300 a night, blindly assuming as a Diamond I'd get some status recognition, and upgraded to something fairly decent, and very foolishly ASSUMED we'd get breakfast of some kind somewhere there.

Did not even bother checking other Manhattan Hiltons when I booked.

The posts above were a wake-up call, and it seems The Grand Dame has gotten very frayed around the edges under the Chinese ownership, for the general rooms, and I cannot comprehend WHY a Diamond (or Gold) Member would ever dream of staying there - no lounge, and no breakfast, and seemingly near zero chance of any kind of decent upgrade.

Any Kettle on a pre-paid package tour, booked into there will end up with much the same room and the same “benefits” it seems clear to me – for HALF the income to the hotel. Makes no sense, and their bottom line will be starting to reflect that I am sure.

Out of curiosity I just went and checked Waldorf Astoria New York on Trip Advisor, and out of near 10,000 reviews – a huge cross section of input, Waldorf Astoria ranks only 282 out of 471 Hotels in New York.

Tone of reviews as can be readily seen, generally is - worn out, way overpriced for rooms, drinks and food, long waits at reception, typical rooms on the small size and not up to 2016 amenity standards.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel..._New_York.html

Many would have imagined the Waldorf Astoria New York would be in the top 20 or 50 at worse. And not too many years back, it WAS.

My last stays some years back were fine. Upgraded to Suites each time, and am surprised it has slipped into apparent mediocrity so quickly, and shows clear and total disinterest in appealing to HH Elites. Dangerous ploy. Tons of top end competition in NYC

My $US1,000 today went to another NYC Hilton, and I bet there are many in the exact same boat. I've been Diamond for 5 years and spend MY money where I get some kind of meaningful benefit for that hard won Status.

1000 of us a year is a lost Million in base revenue. 10,000 of us, just 200 lost nights a week, is $10 million lost a year etc. Chinese owners take note. @:-)@:-)

Old May 24, 2016, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
They frankly don't care. They make their money by selling their history and their iconic image to people who have never heard of HiltonHHonors.

The owners do spend to keep up The Waldorf Towers, the adjacent hotel within a hotel. The Towers is the home hotel of the USA's permanent delegation to the United Nations, and has elaborate security which makes it suitable for the US president and other heads of state.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ozstamps
The Grand Dame has gotten very frayed around the edges under the Chinese ownership,
I don't know why people keep blaming the condition of this property on the Chinese (have my suspicions though).

This property was crap twenty years ago when it was owned by Hilton. Anbang bought it less than two years ago.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
and I cannot comprehend WHY a Diamond (or Gold) Member would ever dream of staying there[/B] - no lounge, and no breakfast, and seemingly near zero chance of any kind of decent upgrade.
Maybe because not every Diamond or Gold member is interested solely in a lounge or free breakfast?

This hotel has one of the highest number of elite HHonors members staying per night among HHonors properties worldwide. This surely says a lot about people's preferences and likes.

There is nothing wrong with people loving this property for what it is, and for others not to like it because it does not provide anything for free...
Old May 24, 2016, 2:33 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't know why people keep blaming the condition of this property on the Chinese (have my suspicions though).

This property was crap twenty years ago when it was owned by Hilton. Anbang bought it less than two years ago.
Exactly. The lobby looks great, though.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:53 am

Well as usual, FT input saves me again!
You're a bit late to the party by acting as if you've discovered some revelation about this property or the general condition of hhonors benefits at WA properties. And it is a bit strange to act as if checking TripAdvisor is some sort of secret expert move.

Most people who stay at the WA NY don't care about free benefits. Expense it to the room, please. It will be billed to the client.

As previously noted, absolutely nothing about this property has changed or arisen due to the new ownership.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Maybe because not every Diamond or Gold member is interested solely in a lounge or free breakfast?

This hotel has one of the highest number of elite HHonors members staying per night among HHonors properties worldwide. This surely says a lot about people's preferences and likes.

There is nothing wrong with people loving this property for what it is, and for others not to like it because it does not provide anything for free...
I bought into the idea of the history and reputation of the hotel, and decided to stay there with my wife. Within an hour I regretted it having stayed in may other better hotels in NYC. Maybe they should count how many members return to stay....I won't be back.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko

This hotel has one of the highest number of elite HHonors members staying per night among HHonors properties worldwide.

You work for HHonors it seems. Ukraine Division. OR are simply making it up, yet posting it as "fact". A FT tradition.

Source?

Or it depends how you define "one of".

Waldorf is "one of" the top 282 highest rated Hotels in New York. It is number 282 in that list

Last edited by ozstamps; May 24, 2016 at 6:18 am
Old May 24, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I bought into the idea of the history and reputation of the hotel, and decided to stay there with my wife. Within an hour I regretted it having stayed in may other better hotels in NYC. Maybe they should count how many members return to stay....I won't be back.
To each their own I guess. We've been coming back for the past 10 years. Thankfully, there is a diverse portfolio of HHonors hotel in NYC that will tailor to any taste. We stayed in 5 or 6, and still prefer the WA.

You work for HHonors it seems. Ukraine Division. [/B]are simply making it up, yet posting it as "fact". A FT tradition.

Source?

Or it depends how you define "one of".

Waldorf is one of the top 282 highest rated Hotels in New York. It is number 282 in that list
So, just because someone likes a property you assume that they work for HHonors? Just because I like one particular property which many other members tend to dislike for their own reasons?
About 200 Diamond members average at this property per night. Nobody hides this information. When you check-in at the Diamond reception ask them to show you the long printout of the expected Diamond guests. Or read this thread - it is a well-known fact that the Waldorf is frequented by elites.
You seem to be shocked that this hotel provides almost no benefits for HHonors elites. Fine. You obviously value the perks the most. Some of us don't, and just because you'd rather stay at a hotel with lounge and free breakfast it won't take the shine away from the Waldorf for some of us. No one is trying to persuade you to stay at the Waldorf if it is not what you're looking for.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:49 am

Why do you return to the WA year after year? I am not arguing with you, I have never stayed there, but I am curious what you find at the WA that you do not get at the RC or IC, for example. I really like historic hotels, however, generally go to New York with my family of 6, so 3 rooms starts to become uneconomical. I have generally ended up at the DT Times Square where I may only need one room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.