Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 17, 07, 6:18 pm   #736

I agree, this post should be made into a sticky. Had to do a search to find it again! I hunted it down to see anything was stated about the 400 sq ft Astoria Suites.

S/F
-John
JohnnyUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 07, 7:51 pm   #737

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold MM, Amtrak Select Exec, Hyatt Dia, HH Dia, SPG & Marriott Gold, IHG Amb/Plat
Great, thanks. We've had 22Y by special request on an award stay a couple of times. The first time we got it by turning down the first two (inside) rooms offered. Even the 22nd floor is great, as it's above the stepback where the hotel narrows, and there's an excellent eastern skyline view with little street noise.

Slightly negative features: need more furniture in the living room; it looks bare. Also the maids were singing loudly in the corridor in the morning. Are there no staff behavior rules, or do people stay on this floor so rarely that they can get away with it?

MY QUESTION IS: has any Diamond scored higher than the 22nd floor on a REWARD stay? I ask this because I will not pay NYC hotel prices, except perhaps to experience the Waldorf TOWERS once. I know that the W=A concierge level rooms (floors 25-27?) are off-limits for reward stays, unless perhaps the guest is a regular paying guest.
Explore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 07, 11:33 pm   #738

Programs: Hilton Hhonors Gold (DH = Diamond); IHG Platinum; AA nonstatus (DH = Platinum)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyUSMC View Post
I agree, this post should be made into a sticky. Had to do a search to find it again! I hunted it down to see anything was stated about the 400 sq ft Astoria Suites.

S/F
-John
Good thread PHL!

I also would like some info on the "Astor Suites." Is this what they call the Junior Suite that I've been reading about in the W=A thread? And if this costs the same as their One Bedroom Suite, is the One Bedroom Suite better?

I need to stay at the W=A for a wedding this summer and I'm going to have a baby with me (under 1 years old). I would like a quiet room with a little extra space. Are there any specific suites that I can book that is located in quieter area than the rest? I do have a limited budget and would like to stay under $400-$500, so the Towers are out of the question. T.I.A.
AtomicLush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 07, 5:59 am   #739

Programs: Hilton Diamond - Lifetime SPG Platinum - UA Premier Platinum - Hyatt Diamond
I "rolled the dice" and checked in last Monday for a two week stay. I was upgraded to an Astor Suite (1924). It was comfortable, adquately furnished and quiet. (For reasons unrelated to the room and hotel service, I cut my stay to just one night and moved to the DT TS which better met my needs.)
365RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 07, 6:53 am   #740

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
I've been assigned a very nice room on several award stays ending in '16', once on the 14th and then on the 16th floor, but I don't know how many other floors have the same configuration. I think the DD ladies in the lobby call it the 'girlie suite' because in addition to the normal sized room with 2 dbls there is a smaller dressing room with floor-to-ceiling mirrors. Then there is one step up with double doors which open to the bathroom done in black marble. The rooms have several windows which look out on Park Ave. Not much to see, but at least it's an outside view. It gives you a good bit of extra room.
Notenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 07, 3:10 pm   #741
PHL

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
Good thread PHL!

I also would like some info on the "Astor Suites." Is this what they call the Junior Suite that I've been reading about in the W=A thread? And if this costs the same as their One Bedroom Suite, is the One Bedroom Suite better?
I have updated the OP with additional info. The Astor suites are not often available online. They're not that big, but they're cozy (see above description).

If the 1BR suite and Junior suite are priced the same, book the 1BR suite. I've never seen that happen, but anything's possible.

If you book a 1BR Suite, request one on 24-27 (26 is the only floor you won't get unless you book as a concierge level room). The other floors are available for standard bookings as opposed to being exclusive for Towers guests(although sometimes in busy periods the Towers will take over those floors).

The Junior suite is a large room with a seperate changing area, but it's all one space. There is no 2nd room. They're nice too, and maybe even slightly larger in total size to an Astor suite.

In size order from samllest to largest, I would say:
Astor
Junior
Mini
1BR
Luxury

Those are the bulk of the suites, and all have 2 rooms with the exception of the junior which is an oversized room.
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 07, 4:04 pm   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
Suggested rooms: lower floors ending in xx24
Why xx24? What view will those rooms have?

Curious, if given a choice, would you take an Astor Suite (400 sf) or a regular 1 BDRM Suite (450 sf) if the price was the same?

S/F
-John

Oh, BTW, prices finally dropped for the Easter time period. Got a Bloomingdale's package for $299.00 (Astor Suite).
Old Jan 19, 07, 4:15 pm   #743
PHL

Quote:
Why xx24? What view will those rooms have?

Curious, if given a choice, would you take an Astor Suite (400 sf) or a regular 1 BDRM Suite (450 sf) if the price was the same?
1 BR, definitely.
Old Jan 21, 07, 2:20 pm   #744

Programs: Hilton Hhonors Gold (DH = Diamond); IHG Platinum; AA nonstatus (DH = Platinum)
Quote:
Oh, BTW, prices finally dropped for the Easter time period. Got a Bloomingdale's package for $299.00 (Astor Suite).

Holy cow, that's a great deal! Over $100 less than what I've been seeing on the dates that I'll be there. May I ask how did you get that rate? T.I.A.
AtomicLush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 07, 4:05 pm   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
Holy cow, that's a great deal! Over $100 less than what I've been seeing on the dates that I'll be there. May I ask how did you get that rate? T.I.A.
Checked again today, the hotel went into sold out mode... but now I see they are selling rooms in the Towers now (but not at any spectaclur rates). I just kept checking daily for quite a period of time, and when they dropped, I was on it! Who knows, may have been a mistake a lot of people took advantage of.

S/F
-John
Old Feb 6, 07, 4:31 pm   #746

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Silver; Hertz - #1 Club Gold; National - Executive
Upgrade at Waldorf in NYC?

Hello-

Staying for three nights, over President's Day weekend at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York. Friday-Monday.

Other than the usual stuff you hear about it, anything interesting I may want to know?

I used to live in NYC, but now going back visiting, I felt like treating my wife and I a bit.

Any chance of an upgrade? I am a Diamond Member.

Thanks.
MikeyZBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 07, 8:31 pm   #747

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Lightbulb Search function is your friend

How about doing a search in the Waldorf Astoria thread or the The unofficial Waldorf=Astoria room guide thread?
KENNECTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 07, 11:12 pm   #748

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Silver; Hertz - #1 Club Gold; National - Executive
Upgrade? Online Check-in?

2 questions about an upcoming stay:

1. What chances do I have for any type of upgrade over President's Day weekend? I have a 3 night (1 night award and 2 paid) stay Friday-Monday. Are there different levels of upgrades? (i.e. better view, bigger room, higher floor, etc.)

2. Does the Waldorf Participation in Online Check-in??

Thanks!
MikeyZBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 07, 2:05 am   #749

Programs: Severals Golds (BA, BD, AB and LH), Highest tier with HH, SPG and ICRA, lawyer, sometimes a nice guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT View Post
What chances do I have for any type of upgrade over President's Day weekend? I have a 3 night (1 night award and 2 paid) stay Friday-Monday. Are there different levels of upgrades? (i.e. better view, bigger room, higher floor, etc.)
This thread is your friend and reading educates. The Waldorf=Astoria has tons of different room types and the TOS will tell you that the upgrade story at the Waldorf is different from other Hilton properties (One category room upgrade) and depending on the category you booked it can be a huge or a very small step.

Quote:
Does the Waldorf Participation in Online Check-in??
Yes
Flying Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 07, 10:23 am   #750
PHL

Quote:
2 questions about an upcoming stay:

1. What chances do I have for any type of upgrade over President's Day weekend? I have a 3 night (1 night award and 2 paid) stay Friday-Monday. Are there different levels of upgrades? (i.e. better view, bigger room, higher floor, etc.)

2. Does the Waldorf Participation in Online Check-in??

Thanks!
If you're still diamond as your profile suggests, contact the Diamond desk in advance and ask to fill out a profile form. Fax it back. Weekends are busy, but there is a higher share of NONelite guests than on a weeknight, so you should be able to get, at the minimum, an upgrade to an executive room. Here is a thread on various room types that you might expect.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639766