Go Back   > > >

Old Jun 27, 16, 8:20 pm   #676
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
It does explain the removal of the US Diplomatic suites (delegation to the United Nations).
Non-NonRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 16, 8:33 pm   #677

Programs: Hilton Diamond & Hyatt Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
It does explain the removal of the US Diplomatic suites (delegation to the United Nations).

The United States Government announced that they would not be using the suites of the Waldorf Astoria for the President et al any more immediately after announcement was made of the purchase of the property by the Chinese company and it was very specifically detailed that they were doing so because they had fears of bugs (not the bed bug type)
Miesque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 16, 9:11 pm   #678
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miesque View Post
The United States Government announced that they would not be using the suites of the Waldorf Astoria for the President et al any more immediately after announcement was made of the purchase of the property by the Chinese company and it was very specifically detailed that they were doing so because they had fears of bugs (not the bed bug type)
Yes - google turned up a NYT article confirming your points. POTUS now stays at the Palace. Only thing left at the W=A was the UN Ambassador's residence in the Towers - has been there for 50 years.
Non-NonRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 16, 1:28 pm   #679

Programs: Delta DM/Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd001 View Post
Very little detail in the announcement, but I wonder if (1) any Towers rooms will survive as hotel rooms vs. condos and (2) how many condos will be made from the ~1100 hotel rooms. Reads like Anbang doesn't even know yet.
Has there been any news about if the Towers section will remain? or will the remaining rooms just come from the original hotel section?
SkyTeam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 16, 8:20 am   #680
Ambassador: Finnair Plus

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Bloomberg had an interesting article about the property... I had heard about the train station, but I didn't know FDR's railway car is still there!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ed-velvet-cake
SPBanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 16, 3:40 pm   #681

That is an excellent article! I've got a stay at the Waldorf-Astoria NY next month because we're driving through NY and wanted somewhere to stay. I got a surprisingly good Money + Points stay!

Also, my wife is going to LOVE this article when I show it to her
Simon Schus is offline   Reply With Quote