Go Back   > > >

Old Jan 1, 16, 12:57 pm   #586

Thanks for this great review, it pays to ask for a better room. I did not do that because I was hoping that this is an automatic process when you are Diamond Elite. The drinks were $24 ex tip? Absurd.
Next time I will spend my 80000 points for a better Hilton Hotel in Europe or Asia with a nice executive lounge.
ITravelElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 16, 1:12 pm   #587

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
The lounge looks nice as well as your bathroom, but to me the room looks quite ordinary, I've seen pictures of the dreary regular rooms but I would have expected better from the Towers.

What is along that long hallway? From the bedroom picture it looks like a door to the bathroom by the window/bed?
Eujeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 16, 1:24 pm   #588

Are we supposed to be surprised here? It's pretty much common knowledge that the WA NY is a dump and doesn't do anything for Diamonds. Furthermore, there are no true high-end hhonors properties in NYC. IMO the nicest hhonors properties in the City are some of the new HGIs.
arlflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 16, 1:35 pm   #589

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M, HHonors Gold
The door on the right, at the end of the room leads to the corridor on next picture, where's the wardrobe, chest of drawers and door to bathroom. Bathroom was L-shaped, toilet hidden on the left, shower hidden on the right, in the hole in the wall by the bath tub. Toiletries were Salvatore Ferragamo and in good sized packaging. It always annoys me that they become smaller and smaller in Hiltons and just not enough for one person, not to mention two. The room had some old times charm, was quiet, spacious and there was nothing wrong with it but I definitely wouldn't want to pay $500-700 for that.

Drinks were starting from $13 but I didn't fancy any of them and went for most expensive one, cocktail with champagne. You also get free plate of snack with your drink (nuts and something else).

I didn't spend any cash in the hotel except for tip for luggage storage people. Storage space is huge. I was invited inside, because they couldn't find my backpack and asked me to look myself if I can spot it. Then some other guy checked ticker number and brought it from another room.

I think it's worth staying there once for experience (if you're points/cash rich) and look for more modern and luxurious rooms somewhere else.
Richmond_Surrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 16, 1:46 pm   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Are we supposed to be surprised here? It's pretty much common knowledge that the WA NY is a dump and doesn't do anything for Diamonds. Furthermore, there are no true high-end hhonors properties in NYC. IMO the nicest hhonors properties in the City are some of the new HGIs.
+1. Absolutely correct, though I've also had good experiences at DT TS.
smmrfld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 16, 3:33 pm   #591

Programs: BA GOLD, HH Diamond
I see the WA NY has not improved recently. 2/10 stay I had a year ago.
stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 16, 8:22 pm   #592

Programs: Hilton Diamond & Hyatt Diamond
Based on my one experience here a few years ago, one night points and one night paid, you were lucky getting an upgrade to the Towers, much nicer than the Superior King I had. I have not been back since I stumbled onto the Conrad right after that stay, which is now my goto and if I have to stay midtown I much prefer the Hilton Times Square to the experience I had at the Waldorf.
Miesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 16, 8:30 pm   #593

Programs: Hilton Diamond & Hyatt Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITravelElite View Post
This hotel gave me a bad feeling after a day, walk outside and you see poverty in the streets in New York. I will skip the unrealistic world with these high prices in the future.
I am certainly no fan of the New York Waldorf Astoria by any means, but I don't get your comment, New York has always been a characterized by the dichotomy of vast discrepancies in wealth and the Waldorf has an expensive address (even if it woefully fails to live up to it). The fact there is more noticeable poverty (which I assume you mean the increased presence of homeless people in Manhattan) is irrelevant to a hotel that is supposed to be catering to the upper end. And just to clarify, I often do room service and when I was at the Waldorf I cracked open the room service menu and commented, "Guess I am not doing room service today" However this is supposed to be top level New York (it fails abysmally), which is if you have to ask, you can't afford it - LOL
Miesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 16, 4:38 am   #594

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M, HHonors Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miesque View Post
Based on my one experience here a few years ago, one night points and one night paid, you were lucky getting an upgrade to the Towers, much nicer than the Superior King I had. I have not been back since I stumbled onto the Conrad right after that stay, which is now my goto and if I have to stay midtown I much prefer the Hilton Times Square to the experience I had at the Waldorf.
I know I was lucky, but also persistent ;-) I would go for Conrad but it was in wrong location for this stay. I stayed in Hilton TS before and it was ok. Had room on top floor, nice view and good breakfast.
Richmond_Surrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 16, 1:41 pm   #595

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, LC Unlimited, slh loved, LH M&M
Year in and year out I read more and more unfavorable reports on stays at W=A NYC and the hotel itself, service, rooms, lounge, whatever else.

It may be that there are better and newer Hilton alternatives in NYC such as Time Square or Conrad and our friends from US do see the matter with less emotions.

But for one like me from old world who has learned that the W=A was personally aquired by Conrad Hilton as a flagship property with all the glamorous stories around that icon (including the fact that Paris has grown up there and all US presidents have been staying there) it has become really confusing how this all can be?

How can this property still be the flagship, or is it the flagship no longer? If there is no change ahead it is IMHO better to declare Chicago, Shanghai, Rome or Trianon Palace Versailles as the new stars of the collection and let the Chinese owners convert the W=A into luxury appartements and keep the icon in good memory for all of us and the rest of the world before it even starts to have negative influence on the brand promise of the WA collection itself.

After all those reviews here I have decided long time ago I should not book a reward stay at the W=A, but a paid stay. A higher category with lounge access (I booked a room some years ago but had to postpone my stay) I would also exclude meanwhile, so I hope a paid Towers stay would be acceptable for a one week (first) holiday stay. Better I go soon. The longer I follow the thread here the more I read the FT New York Luxury Hotels forum with names such as MO, Langham, Plaza, which makes me sad (thinking about alternatives), as The Waldorf=Astoria always was kind of a legend for me and many of my friends here in Germany.

Last edited by submonte; Jan 3, 16 at 1:53 pm Reason: expression
submonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 16, 1:08 pm   #596

I stayed here about 10 times over last 7 years. I enjoyed numerous upgrades, including a couple of times to the the Towers, and a couple to suites as well. I redeemed points for others and they were upgraded due to my Diamond status. I think all together there were 15-20 total nights over 10 stays, and I'd say every single one was upgraded.

I still enjoy this property a lot, I am going to be staying there next weekend and provide an update. I agree, 80,000 pts is a bit too much to pay for it (it used to be only 40,000 before devaluations!), but some pay rates around $200 are not too bad of a value. Our upcoming stay is $160/night for Superior Room, so I'll provide some feedback about what (if anything) changed.

P.S. If you ask politely you may get additional drink vouchers, especially if you talk to the Diamond Reception desk.

Cheers,

PedroNY

Last edited by PedroNY; Feb 3, 16 at 1:24 pm
PedroNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 16, 4:14 pm   #597
CWY

Programs: Hilton® HHonors Blue
Smile Recent Stay at the Towers of the Waldorf=Astoria, 37H/H2

Greetings,

Having read through all 40 pages of this thread over the course of 24hrs, I am fairly certain that I am not making a redundant post; apologies, in advance, if I am (it's only my third one on the entire forum since my enrolment here)!

PRE CHECK-IN

In anticipation of my 27th birthday this 15th of February, I reserved a two-bedroom Towers Residential Apartment for a two-day stay sometime before Thanksgiving as a Blue Tier HH member with easy cancellation and a nightly rate of ~$866 using the US Soccer Federation Discount Code.

I decided to check up on the details of my reservation on the HH app sometime in mid-January to find that my reservation was reflecting an upgrade from a Residential Apartment to a Historic Suite. Completely over the moon about this news, I called the Towers Desk to confirm that this was not an error. A representative confirmed that the upgrade, was—indeed—accurate, but that the reservation itself could change constantly up until the day of check-in. With fingers crossed and breath held, I closed my eyes and hoped that it wouldn't.

Now paranoid about the status of my reservation, I began to check the HH app obsessively, until—eventually—it showed that my reservation had been downgraded to a Towers Luxury Guestroom, and my grand total of ~$2,000 for the two-day stay was now a mere $7.00.

Convinced that was entirely impossible (ie too good to be true), I decided that I would just patiently wait for the day of check-in on the 13th of February to show up and enquire about any questions or concerns that I might have with my reservation.

CHECK-IN

Arriving to the hotel around 17h30 after a brunch in Williamsburg, I checked in and was informed that I was in my original 2-bedroom Residential Apartment, after all. In addition, I was informed that I would enjoy two free bottles of water per day, free internet access, and access to the Astoria lounge. Oddly enough, I did not feel compelled to request the Historic Suite; I did not want to come off as snobby, particularly since I was paying a discounted rate.

SUITE 37H/H2

Excited, I took the lift up to my suite, 37H/H2, and opened the doors to be overcome with a bit of disappointment. While this was certainly the largest room I have ever stayed in at the Towers (1-bedroom 41F formerly held that title), I was—somehow—expecting something much larger due to the website photos.

The 37H entrance opened up to a foyer complete with powder room, kitchenette (with one jammed pocket door), and coat closet. Beyond a set of double doors was the parlour, complete with a large, wall-mounted flat screen TV, three-cushion sofa, three side chairs, love seat, work station, 6-person dining table, and numerous side tables. While smaller than I had hoped for, the room—as all others in the suite—offered a nice view of the Chrysler building through an abundance of windows.

Walking back towards the entrance, and turning right from the foyer is the corridor that leads to the bedding quarters (dressing boudoir with attached toilet and King-sized bedroom) for 37H. Nothing particularly fascinating here, but still nice. In regards to this particular area of the suite, my only gripe is that the shower stall was small; so small in fact that the water pressure was too powerful for such a small space—there was water everywhere by the time I was done showering. With that said, however, I'd prefer too much water to no water which was the situation on the morning of the 14th. With six guests staying with me—all of whom had never been to the W=A—it was quite embarrassing to find that they could not even brush their teeth until around noon and without any advanced notice of the inconvenience.

Anyway, back to the layout of the flat. Turning back down the corridor and walking in the opposite direction is a small hallway that leads to the smaller, connecting (I'm assuming Luxury Guest room) 37H2. Here we have a much smaller bathroom—with an equally small shower—and a King-sized bedroom. I did, however, prefer the colour scheme of this bedroom which was decorated in hues of blue, red, and gold compared to the general pale yellow/beige colour scheme of the main bedroom suite.

Overall, the size of the suite was not so bad. The parlour fit three rollaway beds with ease, and each bedroom fit a rollaway bed with room to still walk; I was really pleased with the overall experience.

TYPES OF PERKS

In addition to the complimentary water bottles, free wiFi (which did not connect, but it never does for me besides when in the lobby), and access to the Astoria Lougnge for daily breakfast and mid-afternoon snacks, the hotel had a complimentary fruit and cheese platter with red wine delivered to the room an hour or so after check-in. Additionally, I was granted two vouchers with tax and gratuity for two (4 people in total) for a full breakfast at the Bull & Bear Restaurant on the morning of checkout. Unfortunately for me, I was en route to work straight from the hotel, so the vouchers went to waste. Not sure if they were just a courtesy for being in a room of that size, staying over Valentine's Day weekend, or what have you because I am only a Blue Tier HH member, and no reference was made to my birthday which was that morning in any of the notifications or at checkout. Oh, well.

Not a perfect experience, but good enough; bottom line is that compared to stays at the Plaza or the St. Regis, this is the best bang for my buck when looking for a hotel with suites of exceptional size, even if the rooms could use some TLC.

I am definitely going to try and shoot for an upgrade next time I go which will probably be the 4th of July or NYE; I think I have earned it.
Attached Images

CWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 16, 6:08 pm   #598

Just to follow up on our stay here. As a Diamond, they upgraded us a couple of categories up, it was a spacious room. I booked a base room for I think $160/night (sale in November). The room was great, everything was fine, great big TV -- nice to see they finally upgraded some rooms with newer LED tvs.

As always, we check in around 3:00PM, when Diamond Check-in is open. We chatted with Mary, she was very helpful, as always. With this property, I always call a day before our check-in to prime up the Diamond Check-in folks, they really do try to make the stay special. She gave us total of 6 vouchers for drinks, so we can go "bar hopping" at the WA-NYC. We did just that, we had a drink at all 3 of their bars.

The whole night was great, we were treated well, we got an upgrade, extra drink vouchers, as you only are suppose to get 2. Another good stay. Honestly, we enjoy this property. No complaints. Set your expectations to what it is suppose to be, this is not Conrad Tokyo.

Cheers,

PedroNY
PedroNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 16, 8:59 pm   #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWY View Post
I think I have earned it.
Now that's funny! Let's see...one previous stay at this property and HH Blue. Hope springs eternal, I guess.
smmrfld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 16, 9:28 pm   #600
CWY

Programs: Hilton® HHonors Blue
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
Now that's funny! Let's see...one previous stay at this property and HH Blue. Hope springs eternal, I guess.
I have stayed at the hotel plenty of times over the last seven years, and have received complimentary upgrades just as often, just not as an HH member.

My comment on believing that I have earned the right to outright request an upgrade next time around stems more from the fact that it was incredibly disappointing to pay what I did for a room that was without running water for nearly four hours with no advanced notice and no recognition of the inconvenience at checkout.

I must correct a point made in my previous post, however, as I did receive a complimentary upgrade from a two bedroom residential apartment to a Presidential Style suite with connecting room; I simply did not find it to be a major upgrade based upon the descriptions on the website, but I could be wrong.
CWY is offline   Reply With Quote