Go Back   > > >

Old Sep 24, 16, 2:21 pm   #586

Programs: HH Diamond, UA silver, HGP Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
If you have any of signature visa, Amex platinum, or whatever the fancy MasterCard is, or a citi prestige card, the WA New York should be available in the fine hotels and resorts, etc. and will offer additional benefits and may offer one night free for your stay. If the citi prestige, you could use their 4th free benefit.
farnorthtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 16, 12:54 pm   #587

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M, HHonors Gold
Any recent stays? I was considering staying for a few nights before it closes for renovation. Prices are quite low, or maybe end of November is low season?
Richmond_Surrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 16, 3:50 pm   #588

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-S; A3*G; EI-GC. HH-D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey View Post
Any recent stays? I was considering staying for a few nights before it closes for renovation. Prices are quite low, or maybe end of November is low season?
Thanksgiving week? I've seen/had some pretty cheap rates across many NY hotels that week in previous years.
diamond club freeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 16, 3:00 am   #589

Yes, that's right. Even Suites have good prices. Is SIGNATURE SUITE - ONE BEDROOM - ONE KING BED worth the extra? I stayed in Towers previously, so I'm afraid that standard Superior room without any upgrade could be a bit disappointing.

Last edited by Richmond_Surrey; Oct 12, 16 at 8:21 am
Old Oct 12, 16, 6:40 am   #590
TTL

Programs: AY Plat BA Silv LH Sen PP Prest AX Plat DC Prem HH Diam Accor Plat SPG Gold Carlson Gold Melia Gold
Risk of multiple posting, but hopefully can be excused... Delete if not appropriate.

5000 bonus points for Conrads and WA:s...
https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/proces...6MULTIBR7EN8i1
TTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 16, 8:01 am   #591

Programs: BA GOLD, HH Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTL View Post
Risk of multiple posting, but hopefully can be excused... Delete if not appropriate.

5000 bonus points for Conrads and WA:s...
https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/proces...6MULTIBR7EN8i1
Thanks for that
stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 16, 8:15 am   #592

Programs: HH Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey View Post
Yes, that's right. Even Suites have good prices. Is SIGNATURE SUITE - ONE BEDROOM - ONE KING BED worth the extra? I stayed in Towers previously, so I'm afraid that standard Superior room without any upgrade good be a bit disappointing.
The signature suites are the "H" and "R" suites on the corners of the front of the building overlooking Park Avenue. They are spacious and often are a really good value at the paid rate for NYC. I would recommend this if you are used to Towers rooms.
Michael19887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 16, 3:51 pm   #593

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, RR A-List
Unfortunately disappointed with the stay. When I checked in, I was told that no upgrades were available (booked a Superior Guestroom, but when I was in the Uber en route to the hotel... and after our exchange... looked via the app and found multiple different, "luxury guestrooms" and suites bookable). Despite not being upgraded in any form, I was told that the information at http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/explor...its/index.html "did not apply" at the WA NYC, and I was not eligible for the free movie (to benefit my daughter) or the spa discount (to benefit the wife). I did get the two beverage tickets and the right to take two 8 ounce bottles of water from the mini bar per day. The first night, the air conditioning sounded like there was a mini jackhammer inside, preventing my wife or myself from sleeping (my 3 year old slept, thankfully). When I called the next morning, they said someone would come fix it, but it did the same thing last night. When I asked at check-in for a late check out (flight at 630pm from LGA), I was told that they could do 1pm but to call today for an additional extension; when I called, I was told that none was available due to being at capacity tonight. I called the bellhop for help with the bags who accompanied us to the motor lobby but said that he could not go with me to the front desk for check out, preventing me from discussing the above with any staff at departure. He did tell me that all staff are being given severance packages due to the Anbang purchase and accommodated in other hotels. Both bellmen (coming and going) were quite nice, but otherwise, I can't recommend this property if you expect to be treated any differently as a Diamond than an off-the-street member (other than the 1pm check out, I guess).
kerrigjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 16, 5:16 pm   #594

New York WA and Towers- Consecutive Stay

It appears that the Waldorf Astoria in NY and the Waldorf Astoria Towers are considered 2 separate properties although located in the same building. I have an upcoming 2 night stay in the Towers (taking advantage of the short lived Visa Signature promotion of Buy One night Get One free). I am now needing to add on an extra night and the Towers rates are out of my price range however I can book a room in the regular hotel for a rate that I am able to pay. I am fine with moving rooms but my question is if the 2 "stays" will be merged into 1 stay as the exact terms of the Visa Signature promotion state that the last night of the stay will be the stay that will be credited at check out (in this case $700/night at the Towers and $285 for the night. If this is the case I will likely move down the street. Any experience with consecutive stays at these properties?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 16, 12:30 pm   #595

Programs: HH Gold, WN RR + CP
Just had a two night stay at this property and while I am glad I had a chance to stay here, I would be hard pressed to recommend this hotel. Some smallish service breakdowns made the stay a bit frustrating. Upon arrival we were greeted by a line in the lobby of 30-40 people checking in. The line moved slow and just as we reached about 3rd in line, a hotel employee came over and asked if anyone was HHonors. I told her I was a gold and she said to follow her. We had already waited 30-40 mins, only to be brought over to the door of the Diamond reception where a guest was taking a long time to check in, even to the point that they got up once to leave, then sat back down for another 5+ mins. We also had another couple in front of us that still needed to be tended to. Meanwhile, everyone in front of us in the original line was being taken care of. Eventually another FD rep came over and helped us. I did ask for a 2 pm check out but was only granted 1 pm. Not a big deal, but 2 pm would have been a little better for us. I did get two drink coupons.

Beyond the check in issues, I also returned to my room on a meeting break the following afternoon to see the message light on the phone blinking. I tried to dial in to get a message, but got a recording that the front desk had a message for me. Tried to transfer to FD but got no answer. Back in line in the lobby to wait 15+ mins, only to find out they were messages about the meeting I was attending, reminding me of times and rooms that I had just come from.

I originally chose a room on the 27th floor using OLCI, but it wasn't available when we checked in. The FD rep also said it can be a noisy room as the elevator runs right next to one of the walls. She instead put me in a room on the 11th, but failed to take into consideration all the noise from Lexington all night long. I know Manhattan is noisy, but if you are recommending a new room to a guest based on noise, at least try to get them into a room that might not be as noisy as ours ended up being.

Beyond that I didn't think the bed was all that comfortable, the shower had a leak on the connection with the shower head that was strong and sprayed upwards, almost reaching the ceiling. Went to grab a water out of the mini bar as we went out the final am to sightsee and it was warm.

Most of the staff at WA seemed very friendly and engaged, and the free hot chocolate at the store just off the lobby was the highlight of our stay.

I'm a pretty good with overlooking small challenges, but for the premium this hotel charges I must say they fall short, especially mechanically. I wouldn't expect that to improve either as they move closer to the renovation. The last stay I had in NYC was at the HGI on W 35th and I must say for half the cost I had double the pleasure there.
birdiedouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 16, 10:53 am   #596

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiedouble View Post
Just had a two night stay at this property and while I am glad I had a chance to stay here, I would be hard pressed to recommend this hotel. Some smallish service breakdowns made the stay a bit frustrating. Upon arrival we were greeted by a line in the lobby of 30-40 people checking in. The line moved slow and just as we reached about 3rd in line, a hotel employee came over and asked if anyone was HHonors. I told her I was a gold and she said to follow her. We had already waited 30-40 mins, only to be brought over to the door of the Diamond reception where a guest was taking a long time to check in, even to the point that they got up once to leave, then sat back down for another 5+ mins. We also had another couple in front of us that still needed to be tended to. Meanwhile, everyone in front of us in the original line was being taken care of. Eventually another FD rep came over and helped us. I did ask for a 2 pm check out but was only granted 1 pm. Not a big deal, but 2 pm would have been a little better for us. I did get two drink coupons.

Beyond the check in issues, I also returned to my room on a meeting break the following afternoon to see the message light on the phone blinking. I tried to dial in to get a message, but got a recording that the front desk had a message for me. Tried to transfer to FD but got no answer. Back in line in the lobby to wait 15+ mins, only to find out they were messages about the meeting I was attending, reminding me of times and rooms that I had just come from.

I originally chose a room on the 27th floor using OLCI, but it wasn't available when we checked in. The FD rep also said it can be a noisy room as the elevator runs right next to one of the walls. She instead put me in a room on the 11th, but failed to take into consideration all the noise from Lexington all night long. I know Manhattan is noisy, but if you are recommending a new room to a guest based on noise, at least try to get them into a room that might not be as noisy as ours ended up being.

Beyond that I didn't think the bed was all that comfortable, the shower had a leak on the connection with the shower head that was strong and sprayed upwards, almost reaching the ceiling. Went to grab a water out of the mini bar as we went out the final am to sightsee and it was warm.

Most of the staff at WA seemed very friendly and engaged, and the free hot chocolate at the store just off the lobby was the highlight of our stay.

I'm a pretty good with overlooking small challenges, but for the premium this hotel charges I must say they fall short, especially mechanically. I wouldn't expect that to improve either as they move closer to the renovation. The last stay I had in NYC was at the HGI on W 35th and I must say for half the cost I had double the pleasure there.
I love this hotel and the best part was the $99 Waldorf Sunday buffet.
Glad to hear it's being renovated.

I guess you just were there at a bad time when it was crowded. Yeah the rooms need to be renovated, but the history of the place and the way it looks in the lobby is amazing. I was also there in January and it was priced right when I stayed there (compared to any other New York City property, New York City is expensive). And as far as noise, this is NYC! Not much to do about that. It's not Madison, Wisconsin, i can assure you.

Sounds like you would be happier in a more modern hotel. The people who actually lived there (not just a hotel room); Herbert Hoover, Cole Porter, Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, let alone MacArthur, and Eisenhower. Obama stays there whenever he goes to NYC. The history of that place. But the Waldorf Astoria is amazing and I will always try and stay there if I can. http://broadway.showtickets.com/arti...astoria-hotel/

Last edited by lbotez; Nov 22, 16 at 11:04 am
lbotez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 17, 4:43 pm   #597

Programs: Delta Skymiles, SPG, IHG Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards, AGR
I'll be staying at the WA New York for the first time next month, and I'm excited, though reading the reviews on here has tempered my expectations a bit.

As far as I can tell, breakfast is not included in the stay, even for Diamond Members (unless you purchase the room + breakfast + wifi rate, which is about $50 more than the general rate). Is there a way to tack on breakfast to your awards rate, or to pay for the breakfast and have access to their breakfast buffet? Or do you have to pay for it a la carte? (I may have to rebook my regular rate to the room + breakfast rate if there's no way to pay for breakfast).

It also sounds like Diamond upgrades are pretty decent at this hotel as well.

Anything else I should know from anyone who has stayed there recently
DrRodneyMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 3:43 pm   #598

Breakfast at Bull and Bear will set you back by $60 (mandatory service charge already included). And it's not worth $60.

You may consider changing to Best of Waldorf rate which gives $50 credit per night. Sometimes it's only a few dollars more than HHonors discount rate.
Old Today, 11:44 am   #599

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, National EE
I was there last weekend for just a night. I did online check-in and somehow managed to chose a room in the Waldorf Towers even though I had only booked the regular Waldorf (room 33R2). The room was nice enough, but lacked a marble bathroom which every other room I looked on the website claimed to have. It was clean, but definitely dated.

Being in the towers does entitle you to a free complimentary continental breakfast on the 26th floor lounge, but I didn't check it out.

As a Diamond they gave me two drink coupons good for "one complimentary beverage up to the value of $25 per cocktail" at any of the onsite bars or restaurants (says it includes taxes & gratuity as well). The cocktails at Sir Harry's were around $20-24. They also allowed me to take up to two bottles of water from the mini-fridge. I had selected my MyWay benefit at WA to also be a discount at a property facility. They said that was good for 25% off of breakfast at Bull & Bear.

Beware they do supposedly have a dress code for the restaurants. Jeans, Shorts and/or Sneakers will severely limit your choices (no Bull & Bear, no La Chine, no Peacock Alley). I didn't really test this (all I traveled with were jeans and sneakers, and I didn't feel like pushing anything), but in general everybody is dressed pretty nicely, so it seemed plausible they would enforce it.

Valet is $80/night, so beware of that.

Also, they're closing Feb 28 for their remodel/conversion. The stores right off the lobby all are doing clearance/going out of business sales.
coutura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:30 pm   #600

Programs: Delta Skymiles, SPG, IHG Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards, AGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by coutura View Post
I was there last weekend for just a night. I did online check-in and somehow managed to chose a room in the Waldorf Towers even though I had only booked the regular Waldorf (room 33R2). The room was nice enough, but lacked a marble bathroom which every other room I looked on the website claimed to have. It was clean, but definitely dated.

Being in the towers does entitle you to a free complimentary continental breakfast on the 26th floor lounge, but I didn't check it out.

As a Diamond they gave me two drink coupons good for "one complimentary beverage up to the value of $25 per cocktail" at any of the onsite bars or restaurants (says it includes taxes & gratuity as well). The cocktails at Sir Harry's were around $20-24. They also allowed me to take up to two bottles of water from the mini-fridge. I had selected my MyWay benefit at WA to also be a discount at a property facility. They said that was good for 25% off of breakfast at Bull & Bear.

Beware they do supposedly have a dress code for the restaurants. Jeans, Shorts and/or Sneakers will severely limit your choices (no Bull & Bear, no La Chine, no Peacock Alley). I didn't really test this (all I traveled with were jeans and sneakers, and I didn't feel like pushing anything), but in general everybody is dressed pretty nicely, so it seemed plausible they would enforce it.

Valet is $80/night, so beware of that.

Also, they're closing Feb 28 for their remodel/conversion. The stores right off the lobby all are doing clearance/going out of business sales.
Thank you, this was super helpful! I'm a Diamond, so hopefully they upgrade me me to a nicer room/suite. Granted, I'm staying on Valentine's day, but that also happens to be a tuesday two weeks before the hotel closes, so I don't imagine they have too much demand. (actually, I checked and the rates seem to have skyrocketed between yesterday and today....interesting how that works).

I tweeted them regarding breakfast; the continental breakfast is apparently $30, but with the 25% discount I guess $22.50 isn't too bad for breakfast at the Waldorf Astoria. I don't eat breakfast myself, but my companion does, so it probably makes more sense to just pay for one breakfast up front rather than booking the wifi + breakfast rate.

I do wonder how their service will be impacted by the fact that the hotel is closing in two weeks to become condos. After all, crappy service and the ensuing bad reviews aren't going to matter to that property too much if they're no longer going to be a hotel (and even once they reopen, they can claim the bad reviews were old/outdated).

Good to know about the restaurant dress code! I'm a business casual at all times type person, but my companion isn't. I guess we'll have to dress up for breakfast, heh.
DrRodneyMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote