Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2004, 3:25 pm

Getting back on track I wonder how soon they'll be upgrading the TV system? Between the cruddy TV location and the reception they need to do something.

Yeah, I know, when you're in Chicago you shouldn't be in your room watching TV: too many good things to do. However it takes my sig. other a long time to get ready so that's the only time I watch.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:49 am
Suspended

Programs: CX Gold MPO
Double Tree - Chicago

Has anyone stayed at this property before?

How is the location and the quality of the hotel?

Also I just want to clarify, is Double Tree Generally better than the Hilton Brand but slightly under the Conrad Brand?
Old Oct 10, 2004, 5:28 am

Not Doubletree Chicago

But we have stayed at Doubletree Detroit & Cincinatti & was not impressed by either. I would take Embassy for a Conrad experience with the 2 hours of free booze (4-6), nice new furniture, and nice made to order breakfast.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by newcx12345

Also I just want to clarify, is Double Tree Generally better than the Hilton Brand but slightly under the Conrad Brand?

I'm guessing you're talking about the DT Suites downtown. I stayed there last January for one night and would recommend it. Seperate HHonors check-in saved me a wait in line behind 20 guests. Received a breakfast cert. for everyone in my party (2 adults, 2 kids) for continental breakfast or $6.25 off (each cert) menu items. Got upgraded to lakeview room without asking. Pool/exercise room is on the 30th floor. Only snafu was finding a seperate $6.50 charge on my credit card bill the following month --- turns out it was for the 2 waters we took out of the minibar which we left coupons we got in our check-in folder for. An email to the hotel resulted in a call from their accounting department the next day saying it was taken care of and it was. DT Guest suites also discussed here.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:54 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
I'd say no. Other than the cookies, I have been unimpressed by DT. Not that they are bad or anything, but certainly I don't find them any different from a regular old Hilton. IMO, Double Tree and Hilton are at a similar level, whether one is better than the other depends on the property in question and not the brand's positioning. For instance, the Hilton Minneapolis would be much better (IMO) than the Double Tree Guest Suites there, and similarly for Hilton Times Square vs DTGS Time Square, and definitely Boston Back Bay Hilton is a h__ll of a lot better than Boston DT. On the other hand, I think ver highly of the San Diego Mission Valley DT. That's just opinion.

Oh, and certainly not "slightly under" Conrad. Not even close.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:08 am

Great little hotel in downtown Chicago. Location is supberb, right behind John Hancock building. If you want nice accomodations that are modestly priced, this is the way to go. Obvoiusly, there are more upscale hotels but you will pay for those.

To get an idea of what to expect, check out the real pictures (not fake hotel pictures) at HotelScoop: http://www.hotelscoop.com/hotelDetai...p?Hotelid=3620
Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I agree that the DT Guest Suites has a great location. I didn't stay there, but I did stay at the Residence Inn across the street. You're one block off Michigan, which has frequent bus service and lots of shopping. It's at one end of what is called The Magnificent Mile due to all of the shops, some very upscale. You can walk down to Oak St Beach on Lake Michigan, a nice place to enjoy the view. The hotel is on a quiet street and has a little downstairs market across the street if you want to stock up on a few basics.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:00 am

Just a quick tidbit on the comparison to Conrad. Conrad is the Cadillac of the Hilton chain. DT would rank in the middle of the peccking order.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I would stay at Chicago DT-Downtown again (w/ family)

I have stayed at this property, I wrote up the review as reffered to earlier by BigJC.

The good stuff, simply... the hotel is in a great location, close to many good places to eat, close to the lake, close to shopping - close to clubs and bars.
Staff was friendly, we recieved a room upgrade, as well as breakfast certs and got a great rate. I would definately return.

The only "negative", in my opinion, would be that this DT, as are most, is full of families (kids). I don't know if you are looking for a family getaway or a romantic getaway, you did not mention. If you are looking for a romantic getaway I would consider the DT but probably would go with one of the other Hilton properties in the area. I only say "negative" because if someone, not knowing about the DT brand, went here for a romantic weekend, they might be disappointed.

The way I see the ranking of Hilton brand property, from my limited stays are as follows:

Conrad
Hilton
Embassy Suites
DoubleTree* // Homewood Suites*
Hilton Garden Inn
Hampton Inn

* As I have not stayed at a Homewood Suites yet, I can not say for sure... but reading the many posts on FT from ppl who have I think that these two Hilton Brands could be in either position in rank.

Caveat... individual locations will sometimes vary greatly in decor/benefits/overall rank/etc/etc.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:46 pm

I stayed here for a conference at the Hyatt. Great rate with the 3rd night free, plus breakfast coupons for use at the little store in the lobby (I am HH Gold). Some people who I booked stays under were allowed to use these coupons in the hotel resturant for a hot breakfast (there were other circumstances). Great location. Note though: when I booked stays there (March 04), they had an executive level option, at considerable extra cost. I opted to not get one of those rooms. I asked the front desk about it upon checking in, he said that the only difference between the regular rooms and Executive level was a bathmat and a candy dish. No joke.

Great staff though. One night I wanted a microwave at around 2am. Called down to the front desk to see if there was one in the building I could use, and within 10 minutes to my surprise, a guy was at the door with a giant microwave in his arms. Wasn't expecting that.

Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great Excercise Facs

I've stayed here and thought it was great. I especially enjoyed using the excercise equip and pool on the top floor. Great views!
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:04 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Doubletree Chicago

We just stayed there last week and had a poor experience.

It is a great location, and many of the staff were friendly and helpful, but on a two night stay we experienced the following:

We arrived around 2 p.m. and were told the room was not ready--no problem--since it is not "guaranteed" until 3. We checked our bags and went shopping. Check-in was fine except the four of us were given 7 breakfast vouchers for the 2 days, not eight. (I'm HH Gold.) Again, this is no biggie to me so I said nothing. As others have noted, it is very busy with lots of families.

When we got to the room (2309) I was a bit disappointed, the furniture was a bit shabby and there was a huge crack all along the bathroom sink near the wall--really big. Others have mentioned these rooms are being slowly renovated--I hope this one is renovated soon. Again, I did not complain as this is not a huge deal to me as the room was inexpensive and I know the hotel was quite full.

My son tried to log onto to the internet access--the ethernet cable connection was not working. It was late so I waited until the next morning to call to have it fixed. Seven hours after I called (we had gone out) it was still untouched. I called again. An hour later someone came up and repaired it. My son logged on to find a $9.95 access fee. My complaint here is this fee is not clearly noted anywhere on the website or in the room. There was free wireless in the lobby so we used that. My complaints here are--two calls and eight hours to fix something is not great service and if there is a fee it should be clearly explained.

Now the parts I had real problems with. The second day the maid cleaned the room and left no towels. The turn-down service also did not notice this and did nothing about it. Again-not one, but TWO calls to housekeeping to get towels.

At around 10 pm the toliet overflowed (no--we put nothing unusual in it!). There was a half-inch of water all over the bathroom floor. We called of course. In about an hour someone came to fix it--which he did. But he brought nothing to mop up the water with. He said someone would come. An hour later, we called again since there was no sign of anyone was coming. After midnight someone finally came to mop up the water---and he used half the towels which were never replaced! By this time, I did not want to stay up half the night calling for towels, so went to bed and made do in the morning with fewer towels.

I don't consider myself fussy--I never complain about hotels I have poor experience with--I just go elsewhere the next time. But this time I wrote the manager a long note describing this experience. I am not looking for compensation--I just think the manager should know why we will be going to other hotels on our future visits.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 3:35 pm

The DoubleTree Guest Suites on Delaware in Chicago is a pretty good hotel and is usually where I stay in Chicago when using a Hilton property.*

The location can't be beat and the staff is some of the friendliest I found of Chicago hotels. Also on the weekend I can usually get lucky and find street parking in the area. As a gold I've usually been given a high level floor with a partial lakeview.

However there are a few negatives. The suites are not the largest and have not been renovated since I first stayed there about 13 years ago. It also seems to be swarming with families: especially on the weekends. (More than other Hilton family properties.) The TV reception is horrible too. (Even though you shouldn't be spending time in you room watching TV when in Chicago.)

*I've been staying non-Hilton at the Hard Rock Hotel or Hotel Monaco recently: sorry.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:43 pm

Programs: Delta SILVER Medallion; Alaska Mileage Plan; HiltonHHonors GOLD; Starwoods GOLD
Double Tree - Chicago

I was in Chicago March '04 for a meeting later in Arlington Heights, IL and planned a day of fun in Chicago prior to the meeting. I got a great rate for one night in a suite. The room was spacious, except the television sets were in an akward location. The bathroom was very large I thought, and the bedroom area seemed large, I liked the closet/dressing area.

I too thought the furniture was a bit tattered and had seen better days. The reason I picked this hotel (besides the HiltonHHonors points) was the location. It was ideal when one doesn't have a car, it's within walking distance to the Michigan Avenue shopping mecca (including the Cheesecake Factory). This is worth a lot to have your hotel so close to the local spots.

Service was the norm - front desk staff very helpful, both at check in and check out. They were helpful with arranging transportation out to Arlington Heights.

I would recommend this hotel, hopefully the rooms that look shop worn have been rennovated. The location was what sold me on this hotel. I've been to the Radisson Suites, which is also very close to Michigan Avenue.

Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
But how close it it to Oprah?

JudyJFLA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.