Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

OLD Conrad Chicago {US-IL} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLD Conrad Chicago {US-IL} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by snevillio
Would people with experience pick this Conrad over Palmer House?
They are rather different locations. If you are a history buff, take the Palmer House. Plus it's closer to a lot of museums. But for nightlife, the Conrad is closer to a lot of popular places.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Just spending a couple of days in Chicago visiting friends in the loop, i can see that Palmer House is the better location for that but i was taken in by the marketing that says the Conrad is $480 per night while the Palmer House is $180 yet its the same number of points...

Diamond status likely to get you anywhere at either? I noted the breakfast voucher seemed better than the Palmer House breakfast
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
They are rather different locations.
They are 0.8 miles apart. That is a 17 minute walk or a $4 uber fare, though the driver would probably be peeved at you for wasting his time.

All the stuff in River North is west of the Conrad and north of the PH, so the difference in distance isn't that much.

Just spending a couple of days in Chicago visiting friends in the loop, i can see that Palmer House is the better location for that but i was taken in by the marketing that says the Conrad is $480 per night while the Palmer House is $180 yet its the same number of points...

Diamond status likely to get you anywhere at either? I noted the breakfast voucher seemed better than the Palmer House breakfast
If PH is not sold out for a conference or such they have been known to give upgrades. The lounge is Diamonds and exec level folks only these days and in my opinion serves a good spread. Personally I prefer a truly free, no strings attached breakfast to some voucher where with drink/tax/tip I end up paying more than I would have at a real restaurant somewhere.

In my experience PH takes care of diamonds, and I guess I also just have a soft spot for it. It is synonymous with Chicago - modern hotels could be anywhere.

I wouldn't put any thought into pricing differences. Also if PH is $180 rack rate you might look into MVP/AAA/etc. cash rates and save your points.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
They are 0.8 miles apart. That is a 17 minute walk or a $4 uber fare, though the driver would probably be peeved at you for wasting his time.

All the stuff in River North is west of the Conrad and north of the PH, so the difference in distance isn't that much.
If the weather is perfect and you are sober and have comfortable shoes on, then yes it's not that far. Otherwise it's too far and you'll want a cab. And Chicago doesn't have that many perfect weather days.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:12 am

If the weather is perfect and you are sober and have comfortable shoes on, then yes it's not that far. Otherwise it's too far and you'll want a cab. And Chicago doesn't have that many perfect weather days.
Uh, ok. I guess it's all down to personal preference. I've never taken a cab anywhere in Chicago, and that includes walks to McCormick Place in January numerous times. Suppose I am a masochist. But if you are taking cabs to begin with then I don't see how a 0.8 mile maximum difference in location should be a driver of where one stays.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uh, ok. I guess it's all down to personal preference. I've never taken a cab anywhere in Chicago, and that includes walks to McCormick Place in January numerous times. Suppose I am a masochist. But if you are taking cabs to begin with then I don't see how a 0.8 mile maximum difference in location should be a driver of where one stays.
Yeah, maybe I travel too often with women who wear heels and don't want to get their hair wet. But still if you want certain bars and restaurants to be within stumbling distance, choose wisely.

But we agree on the Palmer House as generally the best choice. Especially so with the Conrad changing hands soon.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:35 am

Yeah, maybe I travel too often with women who wear heels and don't want to get their hair wet.
Oh yeah. That can change the dynamic very quickly!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

I had two stays at the PH in the last couple of weeks as a diamond and was not upgraded either time. The lounge is much improved from how it used to be but still gets quite busy. I like the Conrad breakfast better than the PH just because it is in the restaurant (quieter) and there aren't lots of kids milling around.

But if you really need to be (or are going to be) in the Loop, the PH or the Wit is the better choice. If you like to walk then The Drake in the summer would be another choice but it is quite a bit farther to the Loop. I had three stays at The Drake recently, along with multiple stays last year, which has convinced me that The Drake has cleaned up their service issues from a few years ago. Plus I like the location next to Oak St. beach to go running.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
My Sept reservation was cancelled :(

Prior to making my reservation I called the Diamond Desk who assured me that the hotel would honor my reservation even after the brand change. So I went and booked. Here's today's e-mail:

We are sending you this email in regards to your upcoming reservation at the Conrad Chicago (Confirmation# 3187204114, Arriving on September 25, 2015) and (Confirmation# 3188878124, Arriving on September 26, 2015). We regret to inform you that this hotel will cease to operate as a part of our portfolio of Hilton Brands as of September 1, 2015 and the hotel will be unable to honor your reservation after this date. Please accept our sincerest apologies for this short notice and know that we are working to personally take care of each and every one of our guests.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:00 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by FrAAmer
Please accept our sincerest apologies for this short notice and know that we are working to personally take care of each and every one of our guests.
If your reservation for a paid or award stay? Please do let us know what alternate accommodations Hilton proposes for you.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
We were on a reward for one night and a Citibank Cert for the other. (That's why there were two confirmation numbers).

We were re-located to another Hilton property (they offered a choice of):

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago / Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Downtown North

Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago / Downtown

The Wit Chicago / a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel - 201 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60601

Hilton Suites Chicago Magnificent Mile

The Drake

The Palmer House Hilton

Hilton Chicago

They also offered (without being asked) to comp us for one night "for the inconvenience." We had the points returned to our account and used the certificate since it expires at the end of the year.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by FrAAmer
We were on a reward for one night and a Citibank Cert for the other. (That's why there were two confirmation numbers).

We were re-located to another Hilton property (they offered a choice of):

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago / Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Downtown North

Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago / Downtown

The Wit Chicago / a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel - 201 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60601

Hilton Suites Chicago Magnificent Mile

The Drake

The Palmer House Hilton

Hilton Chicago

They also offered (without being asked) to comp us for one night "for the inconvenience." We had the points returned to our account and used the certificate since it expires at the end of the year.
They can cancel all the reservations they want if they'll give me that deal!
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:32 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

They can cancel all the reservations they want if they'll give me that deal!
No kidding!

Excellent resolution!
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
As reported in the Starwood forum, this will be renamed The Gwen, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Chicago

Property opening September 1, 2015
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
Stayed here Friday night on points. Was upgraded to their Executive Premium King Room which is a much more updated room than any other room I've stayed in at the Conrad. Was issued diamond breakfast certs for $19 which basically covered one entree on the menu. Coffee was not covered so I ended up spending $11 on a free breakfast. Seems a little stingy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.