Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa {SYC}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa {SYC}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2007, 9:37 pm

From what I recall, the spa was fairly pricey -- probably typical hotel spa prices which I always find much higher than local day spas. But, you're on vacation. What the heck! The Hilton's spa location is fantastic -- right out over the edge of the rocks. You can even order a special dinner on the spa's deck suspended above the rocks. It looked very private.

The food at the hotel is good at breakfast time. The free breakfast buffet has a lot of offerings and you can get made-to-order eggs, pancakes, etc. as well from the waitress. The dinner buffet was not as good. I believe it's 50 Euros per person for food only and it certainly wasn't worth it. There are far better options around the hotel like La Scala (fantastic Italian) and Baobob Pizza (a casual restaurant a nice walk from the Hilton).

As far as day trips, I would highly recommend La Digue. Rent a bicycle and tour around the island's beautiful beaches for the day. Our most memorable meal was at the Grand Anse Bar on La Digue. Its lunchtime buffet is not to be missed. Be sure to get there by about 11:30 to taste all the fabulous offerings. I think it's like $10-12 U.S. per person and you certainly won't leave hungry!

Also, on Wednesday afternoons and the evening of the last Saturday of the month, there is an outdoor market at Beau Vallon Beach. You can easily walk there from the hotel and sample all kinds of cheap local food. I also found it to be the best place for souvenirs and nice t-shirts. Nothing was overly touristy and the prices are substantially lower than the downtown Victoria shops.

You can do more research on day trips, restaurants, etc. on Trip Advisor and Virtual Tourist. Or, PM me for more info.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA2BA
Would you mind sharing how you got there from the U.S.?
DFW>MSP>AMS on NW
AMS>NBO>SEZ on KQ

SEZ>NBO>CDG on KQ

Train from CDG>NCE>MPX

MPX>LGW on U2 (Easyjet)

LGW>MSP>DFW on NW
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:56 pm

recently stayed

recently stayed at this hotel. My two cents worth:

The hotel is actually a set of villas that overlook the ocean. My villa was two floors with each floor being a seperate room. I never heard the folks below me. Breakfast was included with the room and it was very good. They don't serve breakfast until 8am which was a little bit unusual but not a big deal. There were fruit selections, bread/pastry selections, you could have eggs made to order and also pancakes, selection of meats and cheeses, cereal, and salad. The sausage was quite good, the bacon not quite so good Normal selection of breakfast juices, coffee, tea, etc. The dining room is right out over the ocean and you could sit with the doors open and basically eat your breakfast on a deck just removed from the water - it was very nice.

The pool is over the ocean and very scenic - but if you actually thought you could swim some laps then you'll be a little disappointed - you can swim a little but thats it.

The hotel offers snorkelling equipment and some small canoes for free which I thought was very nice. There is a workout room that is decent - they have a set of free weights which is always appreciated and a few treadmills, bikes and I think 5 machines, 3 for legs, one shoulder, one chest. Interestingly they also have a table tennis table in the workout room.

Two bottles of water were provided every day (and are needed as its hot!!). The room itself was outstanding. Very large bathroom with oversized shower and jacuzzi bath and you could look out on the ocean while bathing.

The bedroom was very comfortable - large bed. Sitting area and a desk with a flat screen tv. I think all rooms have a balcony that is fairly spacious and with chairs to lounge and relax or eat.

I didn't eat at the restaurants at night as there is a dress code (smart casual) and I only brought shorts with me as my only goal was to relax. If I understood a German couple I ate one breakfast with correctly, the buffet was 50 Euros/person not including drinks (they weren't too happy with the cost) There are a couple of beach areas on hotel ground that are fairly nice. Lots of beach chairs, etc. I walked to Beau Vallon (hope thats right) which is about 1km from the hotel...took the bus down at night and then walked back (which I will say isn't for the faint of heart as its pitch black and your walking on the road and uphill for part of the way - about a 20 minute walk). Either I didn't look hard enough or there just isn't generally any taxis in that area. There is a really nice (in a very beach relaxing way) pizzeria out on the beach in Beau Vallon and the pizza is excellent. I ate there three times - there is an Indian restaurant and another Italian/general restaurant that for some reason seemed to have no customers every night (and I can't figure out why as I ate there with no complaints). There are a few other bars/cafes in this town. To get the bus, you wait about 30 meters down the road from the entrance to the hotel - its three rupees which is ridiculously cheap - unfortunately though the buses stop running about 7pm which means that you have to walk back!! The bus is very good choice for going into Victoria. Many people had rental cars, but unless your there to explore the island for a few days I wouldn't get one if your ok with using the bus.

This is definately only a place to go if your looking either to just relax or a romantic getaway. A day trip to Victoria is ok especially to buy gifts and you can arrange island tours and visits to other islands but the main theme is basically relaxing. I didn't use the hotel car service so can't comment on the price of that - I took a taxi and it was 30 euros. Euros are definately the prefered currency at the moment (even over their own rupees). To change your money back when you leave you need the original receipt from the ATM. One other thing of note is that they don't allow children at the hotel - but since I don't have any I didn't enquire about the age cutoff. There were definately a few teenagers there while I was there. They have dvd's that you can use for free and I think also cd's...I didn't use this as the tv actually had a few stations that showed movies in English and the few nights I wanted to relax in the room there were decent movies on - it was getting dark at 6pm when I was there. I used room service a few times and the food was pretty good and at a decent price (no more expensive than normal room service).

Overall the service at the hotel was excellent. The only two things that were negative is that I definately got charged someone elses minibar bill one day and at 7am the grounds keepers were out raking/sweeping the grounds - and you'd hear the sweeping. The grounds were very impressive but a few days I would have traded some more sleep for a few leaves being present on the ground.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
How do they treat diamonds on rewards?

Have a 6 day reward stay over Easter in mind. Can anyone tell me whether as a diamond I would receive anything extra? Many thanks and happy new year to all ft ers
Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:33 pm

Some Diamond members have reported upgrades but I was not so lucky.

Considering that the propertys only has 40 villas - 13 of which are deluxe oceanfront villas, I was not expecting a lot. I was told that the (wonderful) breakfast was complimentary, but somehow I suspected that it was free for all guests.

The property has a great location but unless it is your honeymoon, six days may be about two days too many. There is not a lot to do once you have done all the water things.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:50 am

As a diamond member I was given a free drink coupon (which I didn't use as I didn't bring anything to really fit their evening dress code). Breakfast is included for all guest from what I was told so you'll receive free breakfast.

I wouldn't view this as a negative though, I believe that all the villas are at least excellent and if you enjoy relaxing in the sun/ocean then you'll be very pleased.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
has anyone taken any pics that u can share?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by MacDaddie
I didn't use the hotel car service so can't comment on the price of that - I took a taxi and it was 30 euros.
30 euros from the airport?

Thanks for your report!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:19 pm

[QUOTE=PhilC;9022629]30 euros from the airport?

--------------

Yes - 30 euros from the airport to the hotel.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
[QUOTE=MacDaddie;9023085]
Originally Posted by PhilC
30 euros from the airport?

--------------

Yes - 30 euros from the airport to the hotel.
Could you have paid in dollars or rupees? What currency did you use for your meals outside of the hotel? I'd planned to bring dollars and convert and/or use ATMs to get rupees. Can I get by with that or do I need euros? Thanks again.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 4:28 pm

You most certainly won't need Rupees, unless you intend to take some local buses or shop in the local market. As it is very difficult to re-exchange your local currency when you leave, I suggest that you only change small amounts as needed.

When I stayed recently, EUROS was the currencyof choice.

Taxis booked thru the Hilton can be charged to your account (HH points ???) and the hotel only imposes a modest mark-up of about 10% on the actual fare. By the way, all taxi fares are "fixed" and there are no meters.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
As a diamond, I was mega-hooked up. We received the Ian Flemming Suite, and it was spectacular!

For some reason, when I made my award booking, we were able to choose an oceanfront suite, so we knew we had that for sure. I suspect the reason why we got the Ian Flemming suite was because I asked the hotel staff for help in making this trip a special one, since I planned to propose during the trip (which I did - while on an island hopping trip to La Digue).

We paid in Rupees for dinners (outside of the hotels), the markets and taxis. While technically illegal, we exchanged money on the street and got 50% more for our dollar than the official rate. Definitely have dinner at the Boathouse in Beau Vallon - they serve an excellent creole buffet.

Enjoy your visit. We were there for 4 days, and probably would have enjoyed one or two more days to relax!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by chanp
has anyone taken any pics that u can share?
I have some pics if you want to PM me. Also, you may want to check out Trip Advisor and Virtual Tourist -- there are plenty of pictures of the hotel and the islands posted to those websites.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by SEA2BA
Would you mind sharing how you got there from the U.S.?
Two skyteam carriers fly to Seychelles (SEZ) [these flights are not always every day]
Kenya Airways (KQ) - through NBO (Nairobi Kenya)
Air France (AF) [a codeshare with Air Seychelles] - through CDG

Reward chart wise (for how many miles you need) Seychelles is identified as Africa
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by cricketdog
I have some pics if you want to PM me. Also, you may want to check out Trip Advisor and Virtual Tourist -- there are plenty of pictures of the hotel and the islands posted to those websites.
cricketdog, YPM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.