Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury {GBR}

Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury {GBR}

Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:17 am

bump!

Any recent experiences at this hotel?
Considering if for a golf/spa weekend in October
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:23 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by Banie
Any recent experiences at this hotel?
Considering if for a golf/spa weekend in October
Stayed here several times over the last few years as we have friends live nearby and really like the hotel restaurant. Dinner, bed and breakfast rates can be really good value and include a 3-course dinner. Last time about 3 weeks ago. I have never been upgraded to the main Puckrup Hall house and find the standard rooms quite small. I think the hotel bedrooms could do with some renovation work and upgrading to improve them. There are some larger rooms, some with balconies and I think these are classed as Deluxe rooms. The larger rooms in the old hall part of the building are classed as Deluxe Plus rooms and are much nicer. We booked one of these rooms for our last stay and enjoyed the stay. There is a gym and medium sized pool. I have not used the golf course, but it does seem quite popular.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Stayed here Friday night - hotel quite busy. We were told no upgrades were available and despite having booked a B&B rate no amenity was offered (Only Hilton Euston seems to honour this). Room was very warm and no AC - window was open about 2 inches which was as far as it would go. We were in room 109 which is directly over the smoking area outside the bar and it was very noisy so closed windows. My HH profile says High Floor, Away from elevator and quiet room - 109 was none of these

Went downstairs to get my internet voucher and heard another guest complaining about the noise from the smokers - they were advised to close their windows!

Noise continued until gone midnight when I phoned down to complain about 1. the noise and 2. my room not reflecting my profile - not interested but they did clear the smokers away so at least we could sleep.

Breakfast was OK - food was good but service was very poor. Not somewhere that I will return in a hurry.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Had a 3 night stay here recently and had a similar experience - staff and restaurant service was very average (had to ask several times for tea / coffee, no room numbers taken, items not replenished, etc). Also no upgrade was available even though hotel appeared to have low occupancy, although wine and water amenity was in the room.

It seems a pity as the building itself, the location and the surrounding areas are way above par when compared to most other non-metro UK Hiltons.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Any stays recently? Are they more reserved?

I have stayed here a number of times, and it continues to be one of my favourite hotels. I agree with others that the Hall rooms are nice, although a bit further to walk from reception. Always works, and a nice setting near the Malverns.

Last edited by Skimanant; Oct 29, 2012 at 5:05 am
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: HHonors & BA Exec Club
Just to add to the above following my stay in mid October:

Property is visually impressive in a traditional sense from the exterior, benefitting from sweeping views of a well kept golf course and of the neighbouring Malvern Hills.

I stayed as part of a party of around 20 for a golf society weekend. My experience was overall positive.

On arrival we were early for check in at 3pm, however our luggage was smoothly accommodated without fuss by reception. This was not a major inconvenience as we were due to meet in the spacious bar area with friends. The bar has side on views of the 18th hole, which is a surprise as the wall where the bar is placed could take advantage of this. However you can step out and enjoy seating looking out on this perspective, weather permitting!

The property is something of a rabbit warren in terms of rooms and I'd go as far to say that the plethora of corridors and side offshoots was more than a little disorientating. The repeating wall art and absence of simple directional arrows does little to aid this. This is largely caused by the age and style of the building, but overall it is warm, clean and has been kept in "period" style. We had a king guest room as part of whatever deal had been struck - it was again clean, warm if unspectacular. However it would be improper of me to raise too many criticisms having endured Hilton Stansted many a time.

The golf course is in great shape considering it gets a fair amount of traffic from visiting guests and a in house membership. From my brief inspection of the club scores it looks to be the home of the more senior golfers locally, and the flat and often forgiving nature of the course testifies a little further to that. The course is a reasonable test of golf, and goes from the sublime to the distinctly boring. There are some great holes that are lost amongst those included purely to make up the link. The seasoned golfers in the group made light work of the 18, whereas us mere mortals found it interesting and good practice. Personally I have no ambitions to win a Major, so I enjoyed it.

A couple of final notes on the course - we experienced very wet weather on our first round that the course struggled to recover from, drainage appears a major issues owing to its low lying nature. Also, be aware that owing to the senior age of a number of guests/members and also that no handicap certificates are required - play was at times excruciatingly slow during our two rounds - neither less than 5.5 hours. So patience is a virtue, and an understanding other half if left to their own devices off the course.

Evening meal- we had a private dining experience. I had a roasted pork with seasonal vegetables, a duck liver pâté starter and an outrageous brownie sundae dessert against my better judgement. Food was ordered that morning in advance at the clubhouse and the pressure got to me. The choices were standard open ended options to cater for all. The meal was excellent, service attentive and the wine list acceptable. No complaints about the food, it was superb.

We were accommodated in the same bar as that afternoon following dinner, which took cash until approx 11pm; thereafter only charges to the room as per norm. This is a little irksome as with these stays you'd prefer to settle there and then - as I loathe my partner intercepting the quick check out bill wedged under the door before i rise the next morning! Bar is convenient and well stocked, the compromise being its a predictably expensive luxury.

The bar was closed at 2:45am. It was heaving with large parties, both golf trips like ours, corporate bookings and a Medium sized wedding party spillover. The following morning I was advised that a complaint had been received in relation to smoking outside on the bar terrace overlooking the 18th tee. Guest Bedrooms are naturally above this location and whilst I think that where anyone who is choosing to smoke in the early hours should do so with some respect for others in residence, I find the locating of the smoking area bizarre, and the non notifying of anyone in our party of any nuisance they're causing at the time as odd. As a non smoker it's not a problem I face - but I would be irked by noise below my window at 3am. Something to consider if you're booking some of the best rooms at the property.

Breakfast takes place in a long dining room adjacent to the bar- buffet style, wide ranging and as good as any decent Hilton I've stayed at. Seating now benefits from overlooking the graduated valley of the 18th tee, including lake and large water fountain feature, which was shrouded in dense fog until after 9:30am.

Breakfast was largely excellent, staff attentive for drink top ups etc. The policy of checking guests entering the dining room against room numbers was administered haphazardly I noticed. As a former red eye chancer at hotel breakfasts this presents a golden opportunity! Only minor evasive action was in avoiding the suspicious sight of the infamous powdered scrambled egg rearing its ugly head.

As an aside my wife is golf hating - so I had to invest in the on site spa treatments. This is run independently but has a loose affiliation to the hotel. The affiliation extends to reduced rate treatments, but make sure you mention you're staying at the hotel when booking as the bill will be DOUBLE. My wife and other WAGS were accommodated well by all accounts, but the I cannot say that I received a raving review. Treatments are 30 minutes in length, suffice to say it got pricey. There is also pool, spa, gym etc which is available. I raised an eyebrow on arrival as you can look directly into the pool area from the car park which I thought a little odd, particularly given the views in the opposite direction that could have been made use of with floor to ceiling glass.

Final note on the car parking - two medium size parking bays - drive past the first which you will be directed to, ignore the drop off signs and bear round to the left to the closer more convenient bays. Try not to bump any Ferraris or RR though. Note the road leading round is wide enough for a single car.

Tewkesbury is a pleasant market town, offering a range of good pubs and good food. There is also a high street mixing national chains and independents, the Abbey is an impressive focal point of the town. It's about 5 minutes in a taxi at a cost of around Ł6.

Overall:4/5. - I would return again.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Anyone stayed here recently - any positives / negatives?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Anyone stayed here recently - any positives / negatives?
Yes, I'd be interested to know as well - it is located near my in laws and could be useful base if it's a reasonable property....
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:47 am

Stayed midweek late January. Booked a standard room but upgraded to a manor house room (316/Winter) as Diamond. Also received free full breakfast in the restaurant + 2 drinks vouchers. The room in the manor house was large with high ceilings. Some might call it dated but the manor house is a historic building so it's not going to be modern - furnishings seemed to fit with the charm of the building.

The heating was on fullblast but easily turned off on the radiators. No air-conditioning so probably not ideal in Summer but fine in winter. We found it quiet but we were at the end of a corridor with a door separating the corridor from the staircase. I don't beleive there was a room above it. My partner used the pool and jacuzzi in the mid-morning. There were a few other people using both at the time but she didn't find it too busy.

john
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by john205
Stayed midweek late January. Booked a standard room but upgraded to a manor house room (316/Winter) as Diamond. Also received free full breakfast in the restaurant + 2 drinks vouchers. The room in the manor house was large with high ceilings. Some might call it dated but the manor house is a historic building so it's not going to be modern - furnishings seemed to fit with the charm of the building.

The heating was on fullblast but easily turned off on the radiators. No air-conditioning so probably not ideal in Summer but fine in winter. We found it quiet but we were at the end of a corridor with a door separating the corridor from the staircase. I don't beleive there was a room above it. My partner used the pool and jacuzzi in the mid-morning. There were a few other people using both at the time but she didn't find it too busy.

john
Was breakfast any good?, last time I stayed it was awful!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
I have a stay here Friday, its currently showing a deluxe plus (manor house) room, which I am quite happy with, I prefer some of these rooms to the two suites.
The suite on floor 1 has a large balcony, floor 2 does not but has a "turret" extra sitting area. Never upgraded to a suite here, often to deluxe plus rooms- which is where I feel Diamonds should be. 1st floor mansion house rooms are generally larger than second floor rooms. The seasons (winter etc) are generally larger than months (January etc).
Deluxe rooms. I am actually not that bothered by the golf view. I prefer the end of the building with a view towards the Malvern Hills, although its a bit of a walk from reception. I tend to avoid the rooms directly over the kitchens which can be noisy into the night and early morning.
Deluxe are refurbished, Some are larger- not all. Some have a balcony or turret- not all. They aren't much more expensive than standard room often, and sometimes I feel a bit short changed if this is the upgrade. My last stay in a deluxe room wasn't great- including a faulty shower- and it didn't feel very deluxe. However, all the manor house rooms have character, they are a bit old fashioned, but they are sort of really nice too.
Standard rooms are not really that different from some deluxe. Some have balconies. Some have sofas (these rooms are a good size, but not massive), some are smaller. They tend to have car park or croquet lawn views. I quite like the croquet lawn views (towards the hills and old house). One of the standard rooms on the first floor has a massive balcony, with table and chairs, but overlooks car park, the view further on though is nice towards the hills.
Overall I do like the hotel. I do like breakfast- they have a cooked to order menu included. I think it is one of the better Hilton breakfasts. The bar food is very good, I have always been impressed by this recently.
My only suggestions would be to always give me a deluxe plus as an upgrade!, but others may disagree!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Skimanant
I have a stay here Friday, its currently showing a deluxe plus (manor house) room, which I am quite happy with, I prefer some of these rooms to the two suites.
The suite on floor 1 has a large balcony, floor 2 does not but has a "turret" extra sitting area. Never upgraded to a suite here, often to deluxe plus rooms- which is where I feel Diamonds should be. 1st floor mansion house rooms are generally larger than second floor rooms. The seasons (winter etc) are generally larger than months (January etc).
Deluxe rooms. I am actually not that bothered by the golf view. I prefer the end of the building with a view towards the Malvern Hills, although its a bit of a walk from reception. I tend to avoid the rooms directly over the kitchens which can be noisy into the night and early morning.
Deluxe are refurbished, Some are larger- not all. Some have a balcony or turret- not all. They aren't much more expensive than standard room often, and sometimes I feel a bit short changed if this is the upgrade. My last stay in a deluxe room wasn't great- including a faulty shower- and it didn't feel very deluxe. However, all the manor house rooms have character, they are a bit old fashioned, but they are sort of really nice too.
Standard rooms are not really that different from some deluxe. Some have balconies. Some have sofas (these rooms are a good size, but not massive), some are smaller. They tend to have car park or croquet lawn views. I quite like the croquet lawn views (towards the hills and old house). One of the standard rooms on the first floor has a massive balcony, with table and chairs, but overlooks car park, the view further on though is nice towards the hills.
Overall I do like the hotel. I do like breakfast- they have a cooked to order menu included. I think it is one of the better Hilton breakfasts. The bar food is very good, I have always been impressed by this recently.
My only suggestions would be to always give me a deluxe plus as an upgrade!, but others may disagree!
A lot of good info there mate, sounds interesting.......I stayed there 3 years ago and had a deluxe room above the golf club overlooking the course, but breakfast was grim!.......yes it was all laid out nicely but served by very young inexperienced staff and it was stone cold, saw some poor disabled guy struggle to reach the toaster , staff just continued chatting in corner.....I helped him.
Glad this has improved, I did like the building and ambiance and would stay again if in area......Manor House sounds interesting?......I did have a poke around it but not in the rooms.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Anyone had any recent stays?
Used to be quite good and used to give you the free drinks vouchers, has this now stopped like most other Hilton's in the UK?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:31 am
cjd

Originally Posted by adobbing
Anyone had any recent stays?
Used to be quite good and used to give you the free drinks vouchers, has this now stopped like most other Hilton's in the UK?
Will be there in a few weeks for a couple of nights. Will let you know. Had the free drinks vouchers recently at Doubletree Newcastle Airport (Sept), Doubletree Edinburgh (Aug) and the Hilton St Georges (Aug) when we arrived after the lounge had closed.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by cjd
Will be there in a few weeks for a couple of nights. Will let you know. Had the free drinks vouchers recently at Doubletree Newcastle Airport (Sept), Doubletree Edinburgh (Aug) and the Hilton St Georges (Aug) when we arrived after the lounge had closed.
Will beat you to it!
I'm there tomorrow night, will let you know how I get on !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.