Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Phoenix, Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Phoenix, Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by aztimm
Anyone have any recent stays or thoughts on the following Hilton properties in Chandler:
* Hilton Chandler
* Homewood Suites Phoenix/Chandler Fashion Center
* Hampton Inn Phoenix/Chandler Fashion Center
* Home2 Suites Phoenix/Chandler

I've stayed at both the Hilton and Homewood, but they were years ago when I lived there. The Hilton was brand new, and the Homewood was fairly new when we stayed there just before driving to Texas. Both were fine at the time. If memory serves, the Hampton and Homewood are in the same building.

I'll have a 5-night stay for work next month. I'm leaning toward the Homewood, just for a comfortable place. The Home2 is newer than I remember, but I don't like getting half the points.

I could possibly go with the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Chandler, if it would be worthwhile. When I lived there, I went to brunch at the San Marcos a few times, and ate at restaurants downtown...plenty to walk to. So long as the hotel provides parking (it is a pain otherwise).
I live in the Austin, TX area now. But I'll be in Chandler near these properties for work.

Like I said earlier, I stayed at the Hilton when I lived there (we were painting and I found a good rate), and we stayed at that Homewood Suites just before moving. It actually was much newer and nicer than the Homewood we stayed at here in Round Rock while waiting for furniture to be delivered.
Just to follow-up on my last post, I ended up staying at the Home2 Suites in Chandler. It is just off of Queen Creek (north side), between Price and Dobson. There is a small street for it and even a stoplight.

It was a surprisingly nice place. I had only stayed at Home2 once before; back in 2015 when we were looking at moving to Austin, we stayed at one near The Domain. According to staff, it was 3-4 years old, and everything looked new. The room had nearly a full kitchen (fridge/freezer, dishwasher, sink, and tons of dishes/silverware). The bathroom had a walk-in shower. There was an adjoining room--and I actually knew the person staying there--but didn't hear a peep from her (nor she from me). The view was toward QC Road. For a corporate rate of $99/night, I'd say it was worth it. I used a treadmill in the fitness center one morning (the other mornings I swam at nearby city pools), and it was pretty decent.
For most of the stay, only one elevator seemed to be working, then the other mysteriously started on our last night.

What really swayed me was the location, and that co-workers had already booked it.

They don't have a shuttle (when I pressed), but they do provide Lyft rides for, "preferred corporate partners." My company is one such, but I rented a car, so carted everyone around in that.

As I mentioned earlier, I lived in Chandler (and will be moving back), just a few miles away, so I know the area well. It was about 20 minutes to PHX, leaving at noon on a Friday (QC to the 10 to 143), and about 10 minutes to downtown Chandler for an after-work event. Maybe 15 minutes to downtown Gilbert (a few of us ate at Romeo's Euro Cafe one evening). There are some shops/restaurants just across Queen Creek, and an Albertson's supermarket at Queen Creek/Alma School, but I'd rather drive to Fry's at Germann/Alma School (a Kroger store).

I had spent the weekend prior in town at an Airbnb nearby. Compared to that (a whole house, with backyard pool w/waterfall), it was definitely a downer to go to pretty much any hotel. But once I accepted that, it was pretty nice.
I did check area Hilton properties for my self-booking, but they were rather high a week out (my fault, I had initially planned to go to Flagstaff but changed). Shoot me a PM if you'd like info on the Airbnb and I'd be happy to share.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Just to follow-up on my last post, I ended up staying at the Home2 Suites in Chandler. It is just off of Queen Creek (north side), between Price and Dobson. There is a small street for it and even a stoplight.

It was a surprisingly nice place. I had only stayed at Home2 once before; back in 2015 when we were looking at moving to Austin, we stayed at one near The Domain. According to staff, it was 3-4 years old, and everything looked new. The room had nearly a full kitchen (fridge/freezer, dishwasher, sink, and tons of dishes/silverware). The bathroom had a walk-in shower. There was an adjoining room--and I actually knew the person staying there--but didn't hear a peep from her (nor she from me). The view was toward QC Road. For a corporate rate of $99/night, I'd say it was worth it. I used a treadmill in the fitness center one morning (the other mornings I swam at nearby city pools), and it was pretty decent.
For most of the stay, only one elevator seemed to be working, then the other mysteriously started on our last night.
I just finished a stay at a Homewood Suite in Fresno and your description was what I had too. I was impressed, breakfast in the morning and on Wed night has an evening reception (pasta dinner, salad, soup) beer and wine. So I'm wondering why Hilton has two very similar brands.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I just finished a stay at a Homewood Suite in Fresno and your description was what I had too. I was impressed, breakfast in the morning and on Wed night has an evening reception (pasta dinner, salad, soup) beer and wine. So I'm wondering why Hilton has two very similar brands.
When I've stayed at Homewood properties, the kitchen is usually off to the side a bit; you don't need to pass through it to get into the room. And it often has a separate bedroom, although they seem to have more of the, "studio suite," models, where it is all just one big room.
The kitchen in the Home2 was right next to the front door. You had to pass through that area to get into the room. There was a couch with hide-a-bed, and then the bed; I think it was a queen. There was a curtain that you could pull to kind of make the bed area into its own space (I guess if it was a family the parents could have a little privacy with kids on the hide-a-bed).
the bedspread on the bed was quite thin; I ended up pulling the one out from the bag for the hide-a-bed, and the pillows (I use lots of pillows).

The Home2 had an odd lobby. Some furniture, and 2 long high tables with bar stools along them. I think they had something for breakfast, but I didn't partake (we had food delivered to our office, which I'm sure was much better than anything there). We also went out for dinner, so not sure if/what options they had.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Home 2 has cheaper furnishings than Homewood and a smaller/lesser breakfast program.

Home 2 is like Tru but a bit larger room in my opinion.

Given the choice I'd definitely go Homewood over Home 2. Homewood properties seem to be higher build quality/better soundproofing as well.

Stayed at Hilton Chandler last year. Solid stay. Nothing remarkable but nothing went wrong. Clean, efficient, quiet. I'd stay again. They try to charge a $4 or something stupid parking fee for their wide open lot. No parking pass is provided.

I've also stayed at that Hampton Inn Chandler Fashion Center. Again clean and efficient. I'd stay again too. Nothing stands out as out of the ordinary special in a positive or negative way. I may prefer the older Hampton Inn over on the west side of Chandler only due to the proximity of Rudy's BBQ but that is a seriously outdated/depressing property.

I also like the Drury down there. Try to get it on Hotwire or Priceline.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

When I've stayed at Homewood properties, the kitchen is usually off to the side a bit; you don't need to pass through it to get into the room. And it often has a separate bedroom, although they seem to have more of the, "studio suite," models, where it is all just one big room.
The kitchen in the Home2 was right next to the front door. You had to pass through that area to get into the room. There was a couch with hide-a-bed, and then the bed; I think it was a queen. There was a curtain that you could pull to kind of make the bed area into its own space (I guess if it was a family the parents could have a little privacy with kids on the hide-a-bed).
the bedspread on the bed was quite thin; I ended up pulling the one out from the bag for the hide-a-bed, and the pillows (I use lots of pillows).

The Home2 had an odd lobby. Some furniture, and 2 long high tables with bar stools along them. I think they had something for breakfast, but I didn't partake (we had food delivered to our office, which I'm sure was much better than anything there). We also went out for dinner, so not sure if/what options they had.
In the one in Fresno, the kitchen was on the right of the door, with a dining table. Living room, desk, then king-size bed. I normally take photos of my room but didn't this time, now I wish I did. This suite I was in was more like a studio apt. This current company I work for, Hilton is the prefered hotel, and I"m sure I'll be staying in all the Hilton Brands this year.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:54 pm

Anyone have a recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Phoenix Tempe? Was looking at a stay from 3/29 to 4/2, primarily to go to a Coyotes hockey game and it looks close. The pictures make it look reasonably nice but I know that Doubletrees can be really inconsistent, and the Hilton Phoenix Airport is close in both location and price, so maybe I'd be better off with that? I think it would only be $100 more total for the dates I'm looking at.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by IIDXias
Anyone have a recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Phoenix Tempe? Was looking at a stay from 3/29 to 4/2, primarily to go to a Coyotes hockey game and it looks close. The pictures make it look reasonably nice but I know that Doubletrees can be really inconsistent, and the Hilton Phoenix Airport is close in both location and price, so maybe I'd be better off with that? I think it would only be $100 more total for the dates I'm looking at.
Ages ago (at least 12 years) I did a mattress run at the airport Hilton. The property seemed old then. There was pretty much nothing nearby. You'd definitely need a car, but I'm sure you'll have one. There was a tiny lounge, that had funky hours. My office wasn't too far and the rate was very cheap. The room was adequate, but I didn't stay there.

The location of the Doubletree looks very busy...Broadway is busy, especially right around the I-10. I'm sure I must have driven by it many times, but I can't remember what it looks like.

I think the Coyotes play at the ASU rink...what are the nearest cross streets? I've done mattress stays at the Doubletree Suites Airport, and although that is an old property, it seems to be kept up pretty well. There's a few other properties in that area, along with the area just north of ASU that might be worth looking at.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:45 pm

Ages ago (at least 12 years) I did a mattress run at the airport Hilton. The property seemed old then. There was pretty much nothing nearby. You'd definitely need a car, but I'm sure you'll have one. There was a tiny lounge, that had funky hours. My office wasn't too far and the rate was very cheap. The room was adequate, but I didn't stay there.

The location of the Doubletree looks very busy...Broadway is busy, especially right around the I-10. I'm sure I must have driven by it many times, but I can't remember what it looks like.

I think the Coyotes play at the ASU rink...what are the nearest cross streets? I've done mattress stays at the Doubletree Suites Airport, and although that is an old property, it seems to be kept up pretty well. There's a few other properties in that area, along with the area just north of ASU that might be worth looking at.
Google Maps says the airport Hilton is 12 mins from Mullet Arena by car where the Coyotes play, and an identical 12 minutes in the other direction from Chase Field (where we’ll also be taking in an early season baseball game). I don’t really mind being in the middle of nowhere as we’re really just coming out for the two games, and I’ll be working from the hotel room a lot. Those pool patio rooms at the Hilton look really nice in their photos at least (and I assume early April is already pool weather in Arizona although feel free to correct me if I’m wrong), but if the hotel is really worn out that’s definitely good data to know.

The DoubleTree is a similar 12 minutes to Chase Field and an even shorter 9 minutes to Mullet according to Google, but that’s not a huge difference from the Hilton. It’s cheaper for sure which is nice, I’m just always a little wary of Doubletrees because you never really know what you’re getting. Hiltons can be like that too but I think I would rather stay at most of the worst Hiltons I’ve ever stayed at than the worst Doubletrees, if that makes sense. Location is not a big deal to me, but if someone has stayed at both semi-recently and can tell me the DoubleTree isn’t bad that would be good to know. Right now I think I’m leaning toward the Hilton.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:39 pm

I haven't stayed at either of those hotels recently, but work less than a mile from each of them. I would pay the extra $100 for Doubletree, it's a much nicer hotel. A teeny bit more like a Resort vs the completely bland Hilton Airport hotel. Although to be totally honest, I would skip both of those hotels and instead stay at Hyatt House/Hyatt Place Tempe Ariz State University combo hotel. Mullet Arena is literally just outside the lobby of those hotels. And the lightrail stops very close to both the hotel/Mullet AND just in front of Chase Field, so it would be super easy to take that rather than drive or Uber from your hotel and have to deal with parking. You're in for a treat at Mullet, it's a very unique experience to see an NHL game in a 5k capacity arena.
FlightNurse and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by IIDXias
Google Maps says the airport Hilton is 12 mins from Mullet Arena by car where the Coyotes play, and an identical 12 minutes in the other direction from Chase Field (where we’ll also be taking in an early season baseball game).
If you could get something in the, "Airport North," area, then you could use the light rail to go to both hockey and baseball, and not have to deal with parking, downtown traffic, and especially the after-event traffic.
There's a Doubletree Suites, a Hampton Inn, and a Hilton Garden Inn...possibly a few others.

When we lived there, we'd often park at the Park & Ride, near the 101/University in Tempe, then take the light rail to downtown Tempe, or downtown Phoenix. It is so nice to just walk out and hop on a train; they used to have some waiting after events finished.
Before the light rail, we did park in downtown Phoenix for events, and it was always a pain. Sometimes we'd just go early, have a nice dinner before, and make sure we were parked to maximize leaving after we finished.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Tempe is a much nicer area to stay than anything near the airport.
indufan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 3:16 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Hilton Phoenix Resort at the Peak Renovations complete?

Has anyone been here recently? And can provide a honest review? Their website indicates that the River ranch water park is now open after renovations.
Is it really complete and how about the rest of the property? Rooms and such? Looking to book a stay here for early April 2024 but only if all the renovations is complete.

After undergoing exciting renovations, the beloved River Ranch Water Park at Hilton Phoenix Resort at the Peak is making a splashtastic return on February 2nd. Dive into endless fun with the thrilling 130-foot waterslide, unwind on the relaxing half-mile lazy river, or soak up the sun by one of the three refreshing pools
https://www.hiltonphoenixresortatthe...nch-water-park
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Has anyone been here recently? And can provide a honest review? Their website indicates that the River ranch water park is now open after renovations.
Is it really complete and how about the rest of the property? Rooms and such? Looking to book a stay here for early April 2024 but only if all the renovations is complete.

After undergoing exciting renovations, the beloved River Ranch Water Park at Hilton Phoenix Resort at the Peak is making a splashtastic return on February 2nd. Dive into endless fun with the thrilling 130-foot waterslide, unwind on the relaxing half-mile lazy river, or soak up the sun by one of the three refreshing pools
https://www.hiltonphoenixresortatthe...nch-water-park
Have you called them?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Although to be totally honest, I would skip both of those hotels and instead stay at Hyatt House/Hyatt Place Tempe Ariz State University combo hotel..
I've stayed at this HP - it was great. Still a pretty new hotel - very clean.

If you want to stay with a Hilton, the Canopy on University Ave is pretty good. Only catch is that pricing there varies widely based on whatever is going on at the university at the time - even outside of normal Phoenix-area peak weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.