Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
HHonors seems to have added another option for extending points. From HHonors TC (updated), points can also be extended by -
Old May 11, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2M, ANA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Henry98
Does MR -> HH keep the account from expiring? I did not see it listed as an activity that would keep the account active. Can someone confirm?
Henry98, I'm not an expert by any means. That's the way I understood the rules. My personal account has no other activity in the last year, and it is still open. But then again, HH has an *option* to close an inactive account, so that's not a proof positive.
Old May 25, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I just put 100 points in your account

I made a small purchase through one of their partner companies and no points had posted. I figured I was in for a long hassle. I called the partner company and they said don't bother us - call Hilton. Now I knew I was in for a long hassle.

I called Hilton and the agent couldn't have been nicer. She said the points can take a long time to post and they didn't want my account to expire so she was adding 100 points as we spoke and I was good to go for another year.

^ to Hilton.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:33 am

Keep HHonors Points Alive for $3

Good news, Restaurant.com is once again a participant in the Hilton HHonors Earnings Mall.

Restaurant.com sells coupons which typically cost $10 for a $25 coupon to certain restaraunts; this $10 is frequently discounted by 80%. This means you get a $25 coupon for about $3, earn 10 HHonors points per dollar on your purchase, and keep your points alive.

I purchased and used a Restaurant.com coupon myself just last night. Be sure to note restrictions (days of the week, minimum purchase, etc.) which vary by restaruant.

http://www.hiltonhhonorsearningsmall.com

Direct link to Restaruant.com page at hiltonhhonorsearningsmall.com
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PC Platinum
Did anyone try to make an award reservation and later cancel it?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by dmdflyer
Did anyone try to make an award reservation and later cancel it?
I have the same question. Can you extend the expiration by making an award reservation?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by oregonian
I have the same question. Can you extend the expiration by making an award reservation?

a reward stay does not count as activity.
a very economical way is just to purchase 1000 points for $12.50 to keep your account active for another year.
Just call their customer service department.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline
a reward stay does not count as activity.
Completely false.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
Use the Top Guest Checkin Feature or buy something from the mall http://www.flyertalk.com/topflyer/po...-year-for-free
Old Nov 14, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium & LT Gold
Originally Posted by wharvey
Just do the free "profile update for 1,000 points" each quarter... and then this issue is moot!

William
How do you do this? Is there a special link?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sorry if this is already posted somewhere. I tried to search and could not find any recent data...

If we get the free Hhonor Amex and hence Silver status, do the points then never expire? My points expired as a blue member, while my wife's account still has the points as a silver member with the free hhonor amex card and Award wallet shows it as having no expiration date.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
Sorry if this is already posted somewhere. I tried to search and could not find any recent data...

If we get the free Hhonor Amex and hence Silver status, do the points then never expire? My points expired as a blue member, while my wife's account still has the points as a silver member with the free hhonor amex card and Award wallet shows it as having no expiration date.
You have to have accumulated points activity at least once a calendar year. Points can be from hotel stays, shopping on the HHonors mall, points from partners, or from the CC. So even if you don;t stay in a hotel, as long as you use the free Amex at least once a year, the points won't expire. But if you have no activity in a year, the points will expire.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
You have to have accumulated points activity at least once a calendar year. Points can be from hotel stays, shopping on the HHonors mall, points from partners, or from the CC. So even if you don;t stay in a hotel, as long as you use the free Amex at least once a year, the points won't expire. But if you have no activity in a year, the points will expire.
My wife's account has never had points expire even without any activity for over 3 years, but she has the Hhonors Amex card. The card came with something that said: "your points don't expire [note 9]" note 9 says: "Hilton Hhonors points have no expiration date as long as your Card is active or you earn Hhonors Points at least once every 12 months. Subject to Hilton Hhonors Terms and conditions, Hhonors.com/terms."

Not sure if she has just been lucky or this really means that as long as she has the card she is OK. Note 9 above seems to make a distinction between card being active and earning points. If card being active means making charges on the card, then that would earn points anyways, so then it doesn't seem active card means making charges but rather just that the card account is in good standing, perhaps?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
My wife's account has never had points expire even without any activity for over 3 years, but she has the Hhonors Amex card. The card came with something that said: "your points don't expire [note 9]" note 9 says: "Hilton Hhonors points have no expiration date as long as your Card is active or you earn Hhonors Points at least once every 12 months. Subject to Hilton Hhonors Terms and conditions, Hhonors.com/terms."

Not sure if she has just been lucky or this really means that as long as she has the card she is OK. Note 9 above seems to make a distinction between card being active and earning points. If card being active means making charges on the card, then that would earn points anyways, so then it doesn't seem active card means making charges but rather just that the card account is in good standing, perhaps?
You have to earn points. Having the AMEX card and not using it is not an active card. Does your wife use her card? If not, she has been lucky that her points are not gone, yet.

The #9 indicates that Hhonors points can be earned elsewhere besides AMEX to keep the points alive.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
You have to earn points. Having the AMEX card and not using it is not an active card. Does your wife use her card? If not, she has been lucky that her points are not gone, yet.

The #9 indicates that Hhonors points can be earned elsewhere besides AMEX to keep the points alive.
I guess she's been very lucky. Just checked her account more carefully, until spring of this year, her account had no activity at all for about 10 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.