Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
But SPG never does, and the staff are much better than the HHonors gestapo!
They (SPG) did that (cancelling my account) without hesitation, so who is better?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:27 pm

How to keep account active or a use for leftover points?

I have ~4k points in my account. I have no travel planned in the next couple months that would earn me HHonors points. Any suggestions for ways to either use the points I have, or a low cost activity to keep the account active?

Nothing at the shopping portal jumps out at me, and they seem to exclude purchasing gift cards for points (because I'm sure I'll eventually want something at a department store....)
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by oshelef
I have ~4k points in my account. I have no travel planned in the next couple months that would earn me HHonors points. Any suggestions for ways to either use the points I have, or a low cost activity to keep the account active?

Nothing at the shopping portal jumps out at me, and they seem to exclude purchasing gift cards for points (because I'm sure I'll eventually want something at a department store....)
You can buy 1K hilton points for $12.50
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: Oz Diamond,
Did you try hhonor dining program? You can get few points per dollar spent in the participated restaurant.
I always use Double WHOPPER® to keep my HHonor account alive.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Unless they are expiring in a day or two, dining is the easiest way, find a local place that participates and go get something that costs little money, and you will get points from it.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:25 pm

with only 4k points, is it really even worth spending additional money to keep something you may never end up redeeming
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2M, ANA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
MR -> HH

I apologise if it has been mentioned before, do not see it in recent posts.There is currently a 25% discount on Amex MR transfers. So for 750 MR you get 1300 HH, should be another way to keep account active.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Did you sign up for the free 2,500 points in this thread? Once they post the account will be active again for whatever the current timeframe is. Not sure if they are still available or not, but worth a shot.

Free points, can't beat that

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...rs-points.html
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:32 pm

That's my question - how much spending is worth 4k points. If they sell them for ~$50, they can't be worth more than $25 redeemed for something I might get to. What sort of $/point redemption value can you get with small amount of points/inflexible travel schedule?

I missed the free miles, but I'll check out the dining. Maybe I'll get lucky and someplace I eat anyway is on the list.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
That's my question - how much spending is worth 4k points. If they sell them for ~$50, they can't be worth more than $25 redeemed for something I might get to. What sort of $/point redemption value can you get with small amount of points/inflexible travel schedule?
Many knowledgeable people consider HH points to be worth about .5 to .75 US cents each.

I usually use 2/3 of a cent and the math is easy.

With the new points and cash redemption, you could burn a few thousand that way.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
I have called the service center when my points were about to expire. I told them I was expecting points from a car rental, but they haven't hit my account yet, and could they do something. The rep credited my account 1 point, which kept my account going another year.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Even small amounts can be useful if there's a reasonable way to add to them incrementally. May 1, HGI FCO, € 325 or 30,000 points. (Lots of Vatican pilgrim activity and high costs for the beatification of John Paul II.)
Old Apr 10, 2011, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Lightbulb

You need one transaction every year. You could have taken the 2'500 points @:-)
Old May 7, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by drhoenikker
I apologise if it has been mentioned before, do not see it in recent posts.There is currently a 25% discount on Amex MR transfers. So for 750 MR you get 1300 HH, should be another way to keep account active.
Does MR -> HH keep the account from expiring? I did not see it listed as an activity that would keep the account active. Can someone confirm?
Old May 7, 2011, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by Henry98
Does MR -> HH keep the account from expiring? I did not see it listed as an activity that would keep the account active. Can someone confirm?
Yes, it should qualify as any 3rd party accrual is supposed to qualify. From HHonors TC:

To keep the HHonors account open, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:

* stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio;
* earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation; or
* purchase HHonors points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.