Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by sam007
To save my American airlines points, even though they posted past the date, the transaction was deemed to be before the expiration date and they credited them back

Can I book a room for Aug or do I need to complete the activity before may 30?
If you think Hilton will treat your spending as meeting the requirements then give Hilton a call and ask them and make sure you note the person you talk to.

Booking won't preserve your points. You can redeem points for rooms before the expiration and those bookings won't go away after expiration. Just give Hilton a call and buy a 1000 points.
Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. At the discretion of Hilton HHonors Worldwide, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated HHonors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:

a. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
b. earn HHonors Points through any third party source of HHonors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
c. purchase HHonors Points; or,
d. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.

Failure to take action (a), (b), (c) or (d) described above will result in the forfeiture of all accumulated points and, after five years of inactivity, to deactivation of the Member's account. Once the points have been forfeited, the Member may not retrieve any forfeited points but Member may begin to earn points again thereafter. Any Reward redeemed by the Member before the points are forfeited (such as a hotel reservation made or a car rental voucher obtained) is still valid. This applies to any year of enrollment, including without limitation, the first year of enrollment. Members who fail to pay mortgage related payments properly due and owed to Hilton Grand Vacations®, including but not limited to principal payments, interest payments, late fees, and service fees are subject to forfeiture of points equal to the amount of points accumulated in connection with Hilton Grand Vacations®. Further, Members who so fail to pay amounts due to Hilton Grand Vacations® are subject to forfeiture of any Elite tier status earned through Hilton Grand Vacations®.
Old May 23, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, HHonors Diamond (earned), Aer Lingus Gold Circle, ex-UA,ex-NZ
If you have a fair number of points, buying another thousand for $12.50 is well worth it.
I had to do it once and so did my son.
Plus as you'll charge it to your AX, you'll get some extra points eventually too.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
@:-) And OP while you're at it, since you have the Hilton Amex, place a recurring bill on that card so that you are never faced with this situation again!
Old May 24, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
How do I know when my miles will expire? Will I get a email reminder?
Old May 24, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by onlysuites
How do I know when my miles will expire? Will I get a email reminder?
No. You are responsible for keeping track of expiration dates.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No. You are responsible for keeping track of expiration dates.
Ok thanks.
Old May 25, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by sam007
If I make a transaction today on Amex Hilton and the statement closes next month, will it help re-credit the points that expire on May 30?

I actually did make a transaction 3 months ago but the points never posted and Amex told me this morning I've been in -ve points balance due to an earlier return and hence it didn't post
Not if you are still in negative balance. AFA AMEX is concerned you haven't earned any points until you are caught up. So AMEX won't transfer any points until you have actually EARNED some points, i.e., more than made up for your ENTIRE negative balance.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
My points are expiring next months. If I redeem a future hotel and cancel it later, will the points stay alive?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:30 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
In my experience, no.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Are Gold & Diamond members subject to the same rules when it comes to point expiration?

I haven't had much activity on my account this year. I will redeem points for an award one night stay next month and bought 1,000 points. I guess this should prevent my points from expiring, right?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by fredsxb
Are Gold & Diamond members subject to the same rules when it comes to point expiration?

I haven't had much activity on my account this year. I will redeem points for an award one night stay next month and bought 1,000 points. I guess this should prevent my points from expiring, right?
Yes and yes. But why not just go ahead and book the reward night? The points come out of your account when you book it not when you stay.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How fast do E-Miles -> Hhonors transfers usually take?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:57 pm

made a $5 purchase via Hilton shop-to-earn mall on 9/5... now it's 11/12, and points have not been posted (still in pending status).

my points are set to expire 12/15!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by MDT86
My points expire in a month.
I tried buying 1000 points for 12.50$ online, but it did not work. Has anyone tried that recently?

Is there any cheaper way to increase the validity of my points for another year?

Tx.
This poster was outside the US (March 2014)

For anyone else outside the US - Ireland credit card addressee here - had no difficulty completing this transaction, $10 for 1200 points.

Does anyone know, please, if 100k HH points for 10k BA avios is a (somewhat) better deal than using the HH points to book a hotel stay, given the devaluation with the latter?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:31 pm

Sorry. i can't find the answer anywhere.

If i have a stay that was booked through a travel agent (with no h honours points given). Will that extend the expiry off previosly earned points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.