Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 5, 11, 9:39 pm   #436

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums View Post
Sorry if this is already posted somewhere. I tried to search and could not find any recent data...

If we get the free Hhonor Amex and hence Silver status, do the points then never expire? My points expired as a blue member, while my wife's account still has the points as a silver member with the free hhonor amex card and Award wallet shows it as having no expiration date.
You have to have accumulated points activity at least once a calendar year. Points can be from hotel stays, shopping on the HHonors mall, points from partners, or from the CC. So even if you don;t stay in a hotel, as long as you use the free Amex at least once a year, the points won't expire. But if you have no activity in a year, the points will expire.
travelinfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 11, 11:03 pm   #437

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold 0.85MM, Hyatt Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post
You have to have accumulated points activity at least once a calendar year. Points can be from hotel stays, shopping on the HHonors mall, points from partners, or from the CC. So even if you don;t stay in a hotel, as long as you use the free Amex at least once a year, the points won't expire. But if you have no activity in a year, the points will expire.
My wife's account has never had points expire even without any activity for over 3 years, but she has the Hhonors Amex card. The card came with something that said: "your points don't expire [note 9]" note 9 says: "Hilton Hhonors points have no expiration date as long as your Card is active or you earn Hhonors Points at least once every 12 months. Subject to Hilton Hhonors Terms and conditions, Hhonors.com/terms."

Not sure if she has just been lucky or this really means that as long as she has the card she is OK. Note 9 above seems to make a distinction between card being active and earning points. If card being active means making charges on the card, then that would earn points anyways, so then it doesn't seem active card means making charges but rather just that the card account is in good standing, perhaps?
2cardinalalums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 11, 11:17 pm   #438

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums View Post
My wife's account has never had points expire even without any activity for over 3 years, but she has the Hhonors Amex card. The card came with something that said: "your points don't expire [note 9]" note 9 says: "Hilton Hhonors points have no expiration date as long as your Card is active or you earn Hhonors Points at least once every 12 months. Subject to Hilton Hhonors Terms and conditions, Hhonors.com/terms."

Not sure if she has just been lucky or this really means that as long as she has the card she is OK. Note 9 above seems to make a distinction between card being active and earning points. If card being active means making charges on the card, then that would earn points anyways, so then it doesn't seem active card means making charges but rather just that the card account is in good standing, perhaps?
You have to earn points. Having the AMEX card and not using it is not an active card. Does your wife use her card? If not, she has been lucky that her points are not gone, yet.

The #9 indicates that Hhonors points can be earned elsewhere besides AMEX to keep the points alive.
travelinfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 11, 8:16 am   #439

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold 0.85MM, Hyatt Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post
You have to earn points. Having the AMEX card and not using it is not an active card. Does your wife use her card? If not, she has been lucky that her points are not gone, yet.

The #9 indicates that Hhonors points can be earned elsewhere besides AMEX to keep the points alive.
I guess she's been very lucky. Just checked her account more carefully, until spring of this year, her account had no activity at all for about 10 years.
2cardinalalums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 11, 12:25 pm   #440

Programs: Depends on the card offers :)
Need to reset HHonors points clock. Easiest way?

I just got an email that my points are about to expire, so I need to earn a few quickly. Don't care how many, as long as it resets the clock.

I don't plan on staying at a Hilton property/renting a car before they expire, and I'm actually out of the country, so earning points through a dining program isn't practical. Does anyone know of an easy promo that doesn't involve me buying something I don't need from their mall?

Survey, newsletter, or something similar to E-Miles would be great.

Thanks!
JordyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 11, 12:48 pm   #441

Programs: UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Hhonors' website says you can do one of the following:

a. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
b. earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
c. purchase HHonors points; or,
d. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.

C or D is probably easiest. You can buy points here:
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/points/purchase.do
cripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 11, 12:56 pm   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripps View Post
Hhonors' website says you can do one of the following:

a. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
b. earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
c. purchase HHonors points; or,
d. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.

C or D is probably easiest. You can buy points here:
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/points/purchase.do
Thanks for the speedy response. As I don't stay in hotels very frequently, I'm really hoping to find a free solution to reset the clock. It isn't really worth it for me to buy points.

I think the obvious answer would be to just the HHonors points go...but I hate seeing value go to waste!
Old Dec 14, 11, 1:07 pm   #443

Programs: UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
How many points do you have? I think the minimum is 1000 points for $12.50.

If you don't want the points to go to waste, donate some to charity!
cripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 11, 1:28 pm   #444

Programs: HHonors / SPG / Marriott / IHG / UA / AA / DL / US
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordyC View Post
Thanks for the speedy response. As I don't stay in hotels very frequently, I'm really hoping to find a free solution to reset the clock. It isn't really worth it for me to buy points.

I think the obvious answer would be to just the HHonors points go...but I hate seeing value go to waste!
If I understand you correctly, you don't want to spend any resources to keep HHonors points from expiring yet you have no plan to use those point. Something is missing here...
lewende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 11, 1:38 pm   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewende View Post
If I understand you correctly, you don't want to spend any resources to keep HHonors points from expiring yet you have no plan to use those point. Something is missing here...
I'll use them...one day. I'm not a big hotel user, but if something is earned, why let it go to waste? It's always easy to reset the clock for ff miles (often for free), so I assumed it's the same for hotel points.

I don't have many points, I think I stayed at a Hilton property for two nights, so perhaps donating them to charity like @cripps said is the best use of them.
Old Dec 14, 11, 3:26 pm   #446

Programs: PC PlatAmb, Hilton Gold, US Silver
e-Rewards allows you to transfer to Hilton HHonors. This is an invite only program, but it's pretty easy to find an invite in your inbox somewhere if you've been part of traveler programs for a while.

TopGuest allows you to check in to a hotel through Facebook or Foursquare and get 50 HHonors points, which should restart the clock.
javacodeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 11, 4:27 pm   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacodeguy View Post
TopGuest allows you to check in to a hotel through Facebook or Foursquare and get 50 HHonors points, which should restart the clock.
Boom! Exactly the kind of solution I was looking for, thanks.
Old Feb 13, 12, 5:54 pm   #448

Accounts expiring - ideas?

Hi,

Have 2 accounts (self, wife) with 26K and 42K, and they are expiring at the end of this month (no activity for 12 months). Trying to see what is the best way to extend (no stay coming up) or use the points.

1. buy 1,000 points each ($12.5 * 2 = $25). keep both accounts active.
2. transfer 20K points from 26K account to 42K account (cost $50). Not sure what happens to the remaining balance.
3. get some stupid gift from the point store (really bad value). Points to miles is even worse, so i am not considering that.
4. other options ??

Would love your thoughts.

IaLTO

Edit (2/23/12): based on responses below:

TopGuest: Got 50 points for sign up and linking my HHonors account. Posted the next day (Apparently you can get another 50 points if you search for a Doubletree and click on check-in?).

Shop through the HHonors shopping portal. Unclear how long the points will take to post.

HHonors Dining: Points can take some time to post. Sweep appears to happen on Tuesday night. M dine on a Friday did not post until the following week ( ~10 days).

E Rewards: Post pretty much instantly.

So far, TopGuest appears to be the top pick (Do not have ERewards, so can not compare).

Last edited by IaLTO; Feb 29, 12 at 7:15 am. Reason: other options
IaLTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 6:02 pm   #449

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
There's always the Hilton version of rewards network. Sign up for an account, assigning any credit cord, and have a dine at any participating RN restaurant.
Notenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 6:03 pm   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notenut View Post
There's always the Hilton version of rewards network. Sign up for an account, assigning any credit cord, and have a dine at any participating RN restaurant.
how quickly do the points post? i have ~2 weeks left. thx.
IaLTO is offline   Reply With Quote