Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Agree. 4400 points aren't worth saving. If you do disagree, the advice a few posts above about buying 1000 points works for me!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
I have ~27,000 points about to expire (in 2 weeks). That's enough for a night's stay at some of their lower end brands, so I hate to lose them.

I'll probably buy 1,000 points for $12. Then, I'll redeem 25,000 points for a night's stay some time in the next year. And then I'll say goodbye to the Hilton hotel family so long as they maintain this point expiration policy. Anywhere there is a Hilton property, there are other comparable hotel brands with point programs that do not expire. And all hotel rooms look the same in the dark.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Can I earn HH points by walking into a Hilton and buying a beer at the hotel bar?

(Points expire by end of March. Had planned to stay at a Hilton in a few weeks but it is sold out now. Grr.)
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:27 am
alc

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Can I earn HH points by walking into a Hilton and buying a beer at the hotel bar?

(Points expire by end of March. Had planned to stay at a Hilton in a few weeks but it is sold out now. Grr.)
as far as I understand the T&C, all these charge willl get you points only if you charge it to your room. Since you do not have a room with the Hilton, I don't think you will get any points.

ac
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Something I would recomend is if you are a US or canada member and have a rewards network restaraunt by you register a credit card with hiltons program and just make a charge for an inexpensive lunch.

I never fly United but have enough miles for a free flight from when I used to fly them and from credit card offers I dont want to lose since I do want to eventually use them some day. I prefer Delta or Hilton for those purchases and just registered my debit card that I never use for lunches with Uniteds program and use it once a year so they don't take away the miles.

Or get a hilton platnium Am Ex and just make a coffee purchase once a year. Your account will stay active and you will have silver status.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: All of them.... mostly United and Starwood
My account is no longer active

I received my latest email update about my account on 1/14/2010 and today when I tried to log in to book a hotel, I cannot log into my account. It says it doesn't exist anymore.

I'm not sure what the latest terms of the program are, so I'd love it if someone could point me to them. I've read a lot on here, but not sure if what I'm reading is up to date.

My last stay was Sept 2008, so it has been over a year, but I received no notice that my account was going to expire. I had about 24,000 points in my account.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I was about to book a hotel and I'm so pissed with Hilton right now, that they might not be getting me back as a customer.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Something I would recomend is if you are a US or canada member and have a rewards network restaraunt by you register a credit card with hiltons program and just make a charge for an inexpensive lunch.
Good idea, but I can't find any HHonors dining program anywhere.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Smile

Here's the link for Hiltons program:
http://www.hhonorsdining.com/

If you go to rewardsnetwork.com they have a list of different airlines and hotels that are part of the program. You can sign up for different programs (you just have to use a different credit card for each program). I mainly use the hilton program, but I do have a card signed up for United and I just use that card once a year to keep my miles from expiring since I never fly United anymore but have over 25,000 miles that I could use some day.

The is an Iphone app for rewards network that is nice if you travel a lot. In NYC the program is great because Posh and Ritz, two bars I like are members of the program, so I just use my AM EX there and get points for drinking. I think Hilton has a sign up bonus, and right now they have a promo that after two charges of over $20 you get 1,000 bonus points.

Originally Posted by Bidkat
Good idea, but I can't find any HHonors dining program anywhere.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:49 am

If the last activity on my hilton account is on Jun 1 2009, when I book a reward stay, does it need to start before Jun 1 2010, or only the booking needs to happen before Jun 1 2010 (can the stay can start afterward)?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by forextrader
Use the Hilton shopping mall https://www.hiltonhhonorsearningsmall.com/ and buy a dining certificate from Restaurant.com. Use code PRESENT for 80% discount.

So get a $25 off certificate from a restaurant in your area for $2 - you will earn 18 HH points and that will keep your points from expiring.
Restaurant.com no longer seems to be a partner. I can beat the price down to $7 for an idea from Sephora including shipping. Any suggestions on doing better? My account hits one year on inactivity at the end of July.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: Far too many
HH's shopping mall includes a link to drugstore.com, which offered 20% plus free shipping on orders of $25 or more on its large "drug store" inventory.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, TG GLD
20K Hilton points expiring

Not a regular Hilton customer, but have 20K points expiring at the end of this month.

Trying to find a hotel to redeem these points on but not much luck...

My next visit to the US/Canada will be in Jan-Feb 2011, and there don't seem to be any Point Savers for Jan-Feb, is this usual?

Other places I will visit are UK, Europe and most of Asia-Pacific, but I can't find anything for only 20K points except really out-of-the-way hotels in the UK.

Any suggestions on what to do with the points? I can always transfer them to miles, but the conversion rate doesn't seem good.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond Plus, HHonor Diamond, SPG, CX
Hello, unfortunately I am not able to provide you an answer on your question, but hope you all the best in finding a hotel for your 20k deal ... I do have a question though, how long does the points valid on HHonor account? I know the status level is reviewed each year, but doesnt seem to be able to find how long the points is valid ...
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:50 am

They expire after 12 months of no HH activity
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
spend $12 (US) at Hilton and buy points. That will extend your points for another year. You simply have to have an activity in your account. It does not have to be a stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.