Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by sosafan
When was your last activity?
My last activity/stay was in April 2006. But I had not recieved any notice of my account being deactiviated-- or anything from Hilton telling me that my account would be closed due to inactivatiy. (As an aside, I haven't had any activity in my Marriott account in over 3 years, and yet I can still pull up my account, view my credits etc.) So I was not aware of any expiration of points within Hilton, as apparently others are also unaware.
Yesterday I did receive a response from Hilton, saying that my account has been reactivated and if I have a stay within the next 60 days, I will get an extra 2,500 points to my account. I will be travelling more for business in the coming months and will most definately have the chance to stay at Hilton properties-- but if I had not been reactivated, I most proabably would have chosen other hotels (Starwood, Hyatt and even perhaps Marriott)!
Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:19 pm

I have done the search and read thru the other threads also. Since updating profile no longer gives extensions---what imaginative new methods for extension?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:22 am

Programs: UA1P AA
I had 118,973 points in the Hilton Honors program ... and didn't stay at a Hilton for about 2 years. I was shocked to find that my account had lost all its points - and without ANY notification. I maintain a special email address ([email protected]) and the postal mailing address on the account (a PO Box) has been valid since 1980.

I complained to multiple people on the phone ... and the best they would do for me is as others have noted - I could earn back the points by staying at a Hilton ... so many points per night over the course of a year. Hardly a deal as I don't travel very frequently any more - there was no way I was going to earn back what they had taken away.

I now opt for other properties when choosing accommodations.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I got the following email recently:

Dear Boraxo:

We've missed having you as a guest at our Hilton Family hotels. Your membership is important to us, and we would like to provide you with every opportunity to keep your HHonors account open and your points available for you to redeem for HHonors rewards. That's why we want to remind you that your account has not had any recorded activity in the past nine months.

Keep Your Account Active - It's Easy!
Hilton HHonors requires accounts to have point earning activity within a consecutive 12 month period to remain open. To assist you, here are some easy ways to earn HHonors points and keep your account active:

STAY... [omitted]
EARN POINTS WITH HH PARTNERS... [omitted]
PURCHASE POINTS... [omitted]
OWN WITH HILTON GRAND VACATIONS CLUB ... [omitted]

... But Time is Running Out
We don't want to lose you as a valued member. Please act by November 01, 2007 to keep your HHonors account open. If no activity is recorded by that time, the remaining point balance will be forfeited and your account will be closed. Prior to your account closing, you may redeem your points for any eligible reward.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:28 pm

If you make a points rteservation and then cancel it later: is it a problem for the points going back and starting the time limit new again?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Just as the 12 month of no activity approaches, redeem certificates to basically empty out the account. Then whenever wishing to redeposit the certificates and use the points for something, buy 1000 points before the certificates expire. This way it should be possible to keep the points in the account for nothing more than $12.50 nearly every two years without even doing anything else.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I maintain a free Hilton VISA credit card. Once a month I charge something on it. That keeps my Hilton account alive and well.

Even when I have a company paid for Hilton stay I still get miles and points for the stay.

Cheap and easy way to keep my account alive.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
A Hilton credit card, Visa or Amex, is the best way to keep a Hilton account active. Both cards have no annual fees. Hilton, unlike Marriott, is pretty aggressive about closing down accounts that do not generate activity within their requirement of 12 months. Marriott reserves the right to close an account that has been inactive for 24 months, but I have yet to hear anyone actually have their account closed for that reason.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:42 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Marriott, American
So am I safe to assume that as long as I use my Hilton visa card once or twice a year, then my acct. won't be closed?

Just wanting to make sure.
Thanks.
Brentski
Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Hh Card Used N E Where

Can u use ur Hilton Honors card while ur shopping at the mall or anywhere in that matter.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
Originally Posted by FlyGirl818
Can u use ur Hilton Honors card while ur shopping at the mall or anywhere in that matter.
If you're talking about the Hilton AmEx, and not just your Hhonors membership card, then yes, you can use that anywhere American Express is accepted.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, PC Amb Plat, AA, Delta Gold
I am facing this situation and at first I was really rather annoyed with Hilton. I have a reservation at a Hampton Inn under the 1000 bonus pt promo just to keep my account active. But I do not want to stay at a Hilton property during the upcoming Marriott promo and current Starwood promo. The simple solution is often the best. Purchase 1000 pts for $12. No need to fret over it.

BTW I know a few people who have let their hotel points and airline miles expire just because there work did not call for travel anymore.

My points will have to be ripped from my cold dead hands!!!!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Wyndham Dia, Southwest Companion Pass, Raddison Gold, Frontier 100K
I just got the mypoints miles, that should keep me going for another year! Thanks for the suggestion here!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 7:09 pm

what does that mean "hilton affiliated credit card transfer"? Simply a charge on a hilton branded cc?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:51 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Originally Posted by Leemajors
what does that mean "hilton affiliated credit card transfer"? Simply a charge on a hilton branded cc?
I'm thinking so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.