Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

I like Homewood but... Ice is an issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, United Silver, DL Plat, IC Gold, Hertz. #1, AMX Plat

Never in all motel/hotel stays have I been told to go buy ice if I needed it for my room. Yes, we have a full fridge with icemaker that we turned on when we got to the room, making 12 cubes an hour. Called the desk. They need the ice from the machine was for breakfast!? The desk actually said "head to the gas station". I am not filling a cooler, just the ice bucket.
OK, rant over.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Based upon your description, they don't seem too keen on earning their precious 10's?

Must've been a real run on the stuff if they couldn't spare a few cubes?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:18 pm

Programs: HHONORS, AA, Delta, Southwest, Avis, Emerald Club
That's pretty unfortunate. Make sure you let them know your disatisfaction in your reviews.

I've stayed at a few homewoods, and I know equipment varies at locations, but I've always had good luck with the ice makers in the room.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, National Executive, SkyTeam Elite
That's pretty ridiculous. If the hotel was having issues with their ice makers they should have gone to the gas station and purchased a number of bags of ice themselves and made it available to the guests.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by jeffpfeifer
That's pretty ridiculous. If the hotel was having issues with their ice makers they should have gone to the gas station and purchased a number of bags of ice themselves and made it available to the guests.
Seriously.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Although I like most Homewood's as I like the breakfeast, evening reception (some are exceptional) and the ability to have space in the room and the kitchen.

The reality is that these are mostly independently owned and when I have had a bad experience and have voiced my opinion, they don't really care about Hilton status (have been Diamond for about three years) nor do they seem to worried about telling them I would complain to HHonors.

I feel that they think they are giving you everything they can up front and small incidentals are the responsibility of the guest.

I guess you look at the positives of the given anemities and hope everything else is minor.

But giving one guest Ice seems like something that they could accomodate. This must be a premium at the hotel you stayed at....strange!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I thought those commercial ice makers make the stuff pretty much instantaneously and don't store it. Running out of ice is saying they have run out of electricity and water.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I thought those commercial ice makers make the stuff pretty much instantaneously and don't store it. Running out of ice is saying they have run out of electricity and water.
did the OP mention a commercial ice maker? I thought the 12 cubes an hour was in reference to the freezer in the room.

Did someone have the ice machine blocked off for breakfast staff only? Was there really only 1 ice machine? I don't stay at many home woods, but the last one had at least 2 on the ground floor.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I really doubt the hotel was using the refrigerator trays for the breakfast area. I'm guessing there was one commercial icemaker, but they weren't letting the OP use it because they were "saving the ice", right?

http://home.howstuffworks.com/icemaker2.htm
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:28 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
One of my favorite Homewood's is in Orlando and the icemaker works fine. The problem is the water. The Orlando water from the tap is nasty, full of sulpher. You can smell it when you shower and definately taste it. My solution is just to buy some cheap plastic ice cube trays and use bottled water. Of course this is for a long term stay.

The water and ice at some of the other Orlando locations seems better. Perhaps they have some kind of filtering. I stay at this location because it is very close to where I am working. They also have an excellant meal 4 nights a week. Note that the other hotels in the area that I have stayed in also have the nasty water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.