Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 21, 13, 11:24 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: AXON Hilton HHonors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: beltway
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on - or + box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

As of June 15, 2013, the new AXON awards (four days, requires an American Express card, must be called in) will require the following (see holtju2's post #989):

Code:
Category       Pre-6/15/13    Current
Cat 05         125,000        130,000
Cat 06         125,000        160,000
Cat 07         145,000        190,000
Cat 08                        220,000
Cat 09                        260,000
Cat 10                        300,000
For a detailed comparison of AXON costs to other reward options, see Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED June 2103]

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 11, 13, 7:03 pm   #856

I was eyeing Conrad Maldives to use my AXON certificate. However, i now see that the dates i wish to travel don't have award availability at 50k points per night. Instead, they are at 462k per night.

Am i SOL?
Kidrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 13, 8:01 pm   #857

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidrah View Post
I was eyeing Conrad Maldives to use my AXON certificate. However, i now see that the dates i wish to travel don't have award availability at 50k points per night. Instead, they are at 462k per night.

Am i SOL?
Yes. AXON awards are only good for standard rooms. If no standard room is available for all 4 consecutive nights, then no AXON.

You can keep checking back to see if anything opens up.
travelinfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 13, 9:48 pm   #858

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Quote:

Am i SOL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post
Yes. AXON awards are only good for standard rooms. If no standard room is available for all 4 consecutive nights, then no AXON.

You can keep checking back to see if anything opens up.
I am in the same boat; was looking at the Conrad Koh Samui and currently only one of the four nights I need is available at the standard rate. However, I have noticed a ton of fluctuations with the availability over the last couple of weeks, so I am paying VERY close attention so I can lock in my first (and last!) AXON award before the 28th. What a mess...
Old Mar 16, 13, 8:35 pm   #859

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
I got a real chatty diamond desk person earlier in the week, so I took the opportunity to ask about AXON post 3/28. Take this for what it's worth, which may be zero, but there's some potential nuggets of info in there.

Anyway, I found myself I need of an AXON7 booking yesterday. Given the discussion we've been having about whether one can cancel an AXON reservation and apply an AXON cert to a new reservation, I decided to give it a try. First, I took a reservation that I made a couple of months ago, for which I received via e-mail an AXON cert when I made the booking. Let's say that was at Hotel 1. I checked to see if standard rooms were still available at Hotel 1 for my nights and they were. So I called, and said I needed to cancel my AXON stay at Hotel 1, but needed a new 4-night AXON booking at Hotel 2 -- sometimes when I cancel AXONs the points get tied up for a few days, could they please just cancel my Hotel 1 booking and apply my AXON cert to the Hotel 2 stay.

No problem, she says -- so long as the AXON cert doesn't expire before the stay at Hotel 2. She converts it over, easy as pie. So, I ask, "will we be able to use these AXON certs for new reservations after 3/28 even if AXON goes away?" We at that point had a discussion whether AXON will go away, which I'll relate below, but eventually we talked about this question and she said that yes, her understanding is that old AXON certs will continue to be honored so long as they are not expired and so long as the hotel to which the cert is applied after 3/28 is in the same category as the cert. So, for example, if you make an AXON booking prior to 3/28 at a category 7 that turns into a category 9, you're ok. But if, after 3/28, you try to apply the cert to a category 9 or change anything, it will be a no go. But if you want it moved over to a new hotel after 3/28 and it is not going to expire, and the new hotel's post-3/28 category is 7 or lower, it could be applied. I asked whether one needs the actual cert number to do this, and she said they can see it in the system, so just make sure you tell them when cancelling the reservation to not cancel the cert. (Though it sounds like some of them just do it automatically.) She said, though, this wasn't official, and she was only making her best guess.

With respect to whether there will be an AXON after 3/28, she said they haven't been told yet, but they are assuming the answer is yes. She said her understanding was that there would be AXON6, AXON7, and AXON8, or just AXON7 and AXON8, and the point requirements would be going up. She said this was not official, just an assumption, and could change at any time, and also actually mentioned flyertalk and said they knew "there is a lot of panic over there about AXON."

So, anyway, that's my story. After moving my cert over to Hotel 2, I called back and re-booked at Hotel1 with 140k more points. (Which they deducted twice, but that's another story.)
lkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 13, 2:10 am   #860
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkar View Post
So, anyway, that's my story. After moving my cert over to Hotel 2, I called back and re-booked at Hotel1 with 140k more points. (Which they deducted twice, but that's another story.)
Huh! This happened to my booking a week ago. They attached 2 certs to one 4 nights AXON.
I dont understand how this could happen but it did happen, and to you too.

[quote=lkar;20432579
But if you want it moved over to a new hotel after 3/28 and it is not going to expire, and the new hotel's post-3/28 category is 7 or lower, it could be applied. I asked whether one needs the actual cert number to do this, and she said they can see it in the system, so just make sure you tell them when cancelling the reservation to not cancel the cert. (Though it sounds like some of them just do it automatically.) She said, though, this wasn't official, and she was only making her best guess.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting the interesting conversation. It does seem to have some valuable nuggets in it though not official and only best guess. I have found this tidbit particularly interesting. Worth to look into.
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 13, 8:04 am   #861

Programs: DL Silver,BA, Va, Hawaai Air , Amex MR AA , CO, HYATT Dia, HH Gold,SPG Gold,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Huh! This happened to my booking a week ago. They attached 2 certs to one 4 nights AXON.

Thanks for posting the interesting conversation. It does seem to have some valuable nuggets in it though not official and only best guess. I have found this tidbit particularly interesting. Worth to look into.
Sorry for my confusion . I did a Axon at a Cat 6 last December . Booked it via phone but don't remember getting any E cert .

Just got an Email confirm showing the reduced amount of points . Does every Axon award get an E cert ? I have the HILTON AMEX no fee Card if that makes any difference
PETERPNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 13, 8:10 am   #862

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC View Post
Does every Axon award get an E cert ? I have the HILTON AMEX no fee Card if that makes any difference
Some get an e-mail with a cert, some don't. Whether or not a cert is still generated somewhere in the company is unclear.

You don't need the cert to check in. But if you have the cert, you may be able to apply it to another reservation, which up to now has never really mattered. (You could just cancel the cert and rebook.) The issue I was raising relates solely to whether certs issued prior to 3/28 might be useable to book 4 night stays after 3/28, even if AXON goes away.
Old Mar 17, 13, 9:26 am   #863

Programs: DL Silver,BA, Va, Hawaai Air , Amex MR AA , CO, HYATT Dia, HH Gold,SPG Gold,
Quote:
Some get an e-mail with a cert, some don't. Whether or not a cert is still generated somewhere in the company is unclear.

You don't need the cert to check in. But if you have the cert, you may be able to apply it to another reservation, which up to now has never really mattered. (You could just cancel the cert and rebook.) The issue I was raising relates solely to whether certs issued prior to 3/28 might be useable to book 4 night stays after 3/28, even if AXON goes away.
Thanks
PETERPNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 13, 10:09 am   #864
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL KM, HH Diamond, IC Amb, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
Quote:

Am i SOL?
Right now yes. And if you were a diamond a year ago you could still get a hotel stay, but in came prem room scam and loss of DSA.
mnredfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 13, 12:29 pm   #865

Quote:
It was funny, I noticed in my account and called back and got the very same diamond desk agent. I didn't recognize it, but she did -- she credited it right away while mumbling something that I couldn't understand about why it happened.

As it turns out, she deducted 170,000, not 140,000 -- in other words, she booked the AXON and took the 140k, and then took 170k, which is the equivalent of a VIP, I think, for a cat 7. It was weird. I logged out and logged in, and they were back in the account right after the call.

You have to watch your Hilton account like a hawk. It's very hard to keep track online because they don't have a very good page that shows transactions.
Old Mar 17, 13, 6:19 pm   #866
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
It was funny, I noticed in my account and called back and got the very same diamond desk agent. I didn't recognize it, but she did -- she credited it right away while mumbling something that I couldn't understand about why it happened.

As it turns out, she deducted 170,000, not 140,000 -- in other words, she booked the AXON and took the 140k, and then took 170k, which is the equivalent of a VIP, I think, for a cat 7. It was weird. I logged out and logged in, and they were back in the account right after the call.

You have to watch your Hilton account like a hawk. It's very hard to keep track online because they don't have a very good page that shows transactions.
The reservation shows 170K but the actual deduction is 145K. It always happens this way to me.

I actually resort to Excel spreadsheet to keep track of the In and Out of the account because HHonor does not show the deduction, only the addition - this makes it very hard to see award booking / cancellation activities to reconcile the account.

IHG despite the many shortcomings of its low-value Priority Club program, it shows every movement of the account. Now with improvement, it even shows exactly what reservation it was related to, date and property, as well as the date you did it.

Club Carlson also has a comprehensive account activity details.

One HHonor rep told me at one point they had it, but then it was shown in a crazy manner - points first deducted from member account and sent to HHonor program, then deducted from your HHonor program "escrow" account and sent to the hotel - she said it was confusing and they received a lot of calls from customers complaining about the points being deducted twice... but what it did was just going thru a temporary holding place - to avoid constant calls coming in about this, the IT took the function off. But then may be there is some codes not fully cleaned out, therefore occasionally we experience such double deduction? Who knows? All we know is, HHonor's IT is very bad, and no real improvement in sight.
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 13, 6:21 pm   #867

Quote:
The reservation shows 170K but the actual deduction is 145K. It always happens this way to me.
Actually, in these case they really took 170. (But I mistyped about 140 -- you're right it's 145.)

So, what happened is that I booked the award, they took 145k, my cert says 170 like it always does, and then when I checked my account they had taken a total of 315k. They fixed it by putting 170k back in.
Old Mar 18, 13, 10:36 am   #868

Good news being reported by thepointsguy on his blog, although we don't know the whole deal yet (the question still remains about which hotel categories will be covered):

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/amex...fter-march-28/
michael_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 13, 11:12 am   #869

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
Good news being reported by thepointsguy on his blog, although we don't know the whole deal yet (the question still remains about which hotel categories will be covered):

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/amex...fter-march-28/
Great news. I had a feeling that would be the case in some form or fashion -- I just didn't believe Amex would cede the relationship entirely to citi. Now, of course, if AXON8 turns out to be 250,000 points, then this really isn't much of a benefit, but I do assume the points will go up.
Old Mar 18, 13, 11:52 am   #870

If that's true, it could really take some of the teeth out of the devaluation if the AXON prices are fixed, and not seasonal. If Category 9 Axons are based around the 50k base points and not the 80k seasonal points, that's a huge improvement.
rajin is offline   Reply With Quote