Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

AXON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective Dec. 31 2016, Hilton eliminated AXON awards with no notice.
Print Wikipost

AXON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Ritz
Amex doesn't care. Its not their choice.
If it gets AmEx customers, then I'm pretty sure they do care. I just signed up for the Hilton AmEx last month and a big factor was AXON. I doubt I'll continue using it without some other major perk.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:55 pm

I just got an e-mail for double Hilton points for stays through the end of March for Amex card holders. I hope this isn't the AXON replacement.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by lkar
I just got an e-mail for double Hilton points for stays through the end of March for Amex card holders. I hope this isn't the AXON replacement.
That's the standard promotion for this quarter. You don't need an Amex for it.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by spleuchan
That's the standard promotion for this quarter. You don't need an Amex for it.
Yep, strange that Amex sends it out rather than Hilton but whatever... I registered and will be using the Citi Reserve in Tokyo and Maldives where double points will certainly help with the devaluation..
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:37 am

I doubt that's it because I just registered to see what would happen and it said I already registered.

Bobette
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:14 am

AXON Hilton HHonors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

With the devaluation, any point to even swipe any Hilton card for purchase at all? How is the 6 Hilton point/dollar spend compare to 2% cash back offered by many regular credit cards?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Well, it is indirectly. While none of has has seen the Amex/Hilton contract, there is little chance Hilton is paying for the AXON award discount. Amex is. In some form or fashion. It is a benefit of having the card, so Amex would be footing the bill either by buying the point difference or some other concession.

The question here is whether Amex is going to step up to keep its card competitive or cede to citi. The problem is that the price of poker just went up. Axon use to be a 25k savings over GLON. Now it would, to stay relevant, have to be more, causing Hilton to charge more. Though, given the devaluation, I doubt citi and amex will pay the same for points.

There are many moving parts here. Hilton can't devalue without bringing its partners into the loop. Think about it. Amex agrees to buy 200 million points or whatever it agreed to in order to get the contract for the co branded card. When points are devalued one of three thing (or a combination) happens: 1 they lose customers, 2 they lose swipes or 3 they have to increase benefits to avoid 1 and 2. So Hilton can't just devalue without its partners.

If this devaluation coincides with an end to the Amex contract, all bets are off. If not, the two will have to reach agreement. If it is just a reduction in what Amex pays for points, we are the losers, and Amex will just let the cards fade away. If Amex wants to keep the cards relevant they will pony up to give more befits to replace Axon and devalued points.
Agreed that AMEX was well aware of the pending change, has been in the works for some time. This could be one explanation for the big Surpass upgrade push last fall by AMEX; cash infusion from the $79 annual fees from those of us with no fee Honors card, burn through some of 200 million points referenced above, knowing full well that they will no longer have to subsidize AXON awards; could be an indication that AMEX does not plan compete with Citi, is willing to give up Honors market share.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by presario1626
With the devaluation, any point to even swipe any Hilton card for purchase at all? How is the 6 Hilton point/dollar spend compare to 2% cash back offered by many regular credit cards?
Well, let's do some math.

One night at top category = 95,000 points = $15,833 spend at 6 points per dollar.

You'd get $316 cash back on that spend at 2%.

I could see some deals that might be worth it... but cash doesn't have restrictions on when it can be used...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by presario1626
With any swipe, you need to think about what you are giving up. I think 10k spend on the citi hhonors card might still be worth it. You get a free night now woth up to 95,000 points. Even if you only use the free night for a 70k redemption, that's like getting an exta 7x for your spend. So, 10x for regular spend, 12x for travel spend, and 17x for Hilton spend. That is still better than I can do otherwise on those categories. I still value 10 hilton more than 2 percent cash or 12 hilton more than, say, earing 2 UR on a car rental.

Sorry if you were only asking about the Amex surpass. I can't see swiping that card anywhere after drug store bonuse go away in May. There are better supermarket cards. I wouldn't even use that card at Hilton. The exta 2 points over the citi card is only worth it once you have met the 10k citi spend threshold. In other words, only if you are not trying to get to 10k on the citi cardn or have already gotten there is the surpass worth it, and only then to get the extra 2 points at Hiltons. And even then, if you are going for 40k on the citi for diamond, use that instead.

The bottom line for me is I will keep the citi card and pay the annual fee. Unless Amex comes out with a knock your sox off benefit for Surpass, or gives me a crazy good retention offer, I will get rid of it or downgrade to the free card in June.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Do the Citi hilton reserve free nights expire after a year like the Hyatt free nights?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Do the Citi hilton reserve free nights expire after a year like the Hyatt free nights?
Probably. Nobody has experience yet because you only get the cert on anniversary and the product isn't even a year old yet.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
What about the two free nights you get with introductory spend? One year expiration?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jphripjah
What about the two free nights you get with introductory spend? One year expiration?
No, those are good for enternity, I believe.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
No, those are good for enternity, I believe.
They expire in 1 year.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spleuchan
Regarding AXON, last time Hilton added categories, AXON rates were increased, but not eliminated. I see no reason why the same wouldn't hold true this time.
I know phone CSRs don't always have perfect information, but I asked an agent this morning directly if AXON was ending when the program changes in March. She said yes: AXON is being terminated entirely. In fact, she said she's spent most of her past couple of shifts booking tons of AXONs. Get 'em while you can.

I booked two rooms at the DT Suites Times Square for Thanksgiving weekend. Took my account balance down from 291,xxx to almost zip.

My Amex annual fee was January, so sometime late this year I'll roll over to the Citi card. I probably won't bail on HH entirely...still see enough potential uses for Diamond status and a decent stash of points. But it's clear that the truly aspirational Hiltons are now off the board for good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.