Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Is There an Elite Status Level Above Hilton Honors Diamond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is There an Elite Status Level Above Hilton Honors Diamond?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2004, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what they could do to be super special. My experience has been limited, but on an award stay in Paris last year as a Diamond, they fell all over me to accomodate us. Should we require grovelling?

Maybe you should go over to the Marriott forum and suggest their top level elites get guaranteed suite upgrades. They've never thought of that over there.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The danger here is what would happen to normal Diamond if they did this.

Speaking from personal experience when new higher levels were added...the old highest level would certainly and almost instantly lose a lot of it's "clout" in the mind of Hilton employees. It's a physiological thing. Many employees in these hierarchy situations reserve their best service only for the highest level customers.

Hotels and airlines know this would likely occur, and don't want to upset the majority of their high-end bread and butter customers, which is exactly why they resist plopping in higher levels past a certain point.

This personal experience was backed up by 2 separate marketing folks from 2 separate travel providers who explained their resistance to such ideas with this same logic. They also explained to me research that showed that if some customers can't achieve the absolute highest level of a program, then they cease to be loyal to that company and often then head to other providers where their service expectations and egos might be satisfied by being top dog over there.

In other words, they don't want to loose 1,000 very good customers just to satisfy 20 mega-travelers.

Some companies, like United Airlines, have to a degree successfully addressed both segments by creating a little something special for the big $$$ spenders. But they wisely kept that out of their frequent flyer program and operate it separate and relatively transparent to generally good effect and have minimized any negative backfire from the highest level members of their frequent flyer program.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:03 pm

PremEx ,I tend to agree with you. "New" higher levels might eventually be no more rewarding than today's diamond level, but at a higher threshold.
HH should ,however, think about relatively inexpensive ways to reward their "super travellers". The logic of being top tiered at another chain makes sense after you've exceeded your necessary requirements. Last year I found myself at Marriotts and using PL the last part of the year.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HH should ,however, think about relatively inexpensive ways to reward their "super travellers".
Righto.

Just what I suggested to United some time ago. Doubt if I alone was directly responsible for it, but just this year they began "throwing a few bones" to those 1Ks (100,000 mile flyers) that continue on past the 100,000 mile basic qualification requirement, and hit 125,000 miles and 150,000 miles, by awarding them 2 extra Systemwide upgrades at each threshold. Thereby giving incentive to stick with 'em past the 100,000 mark, yet not creating an additional level in the program that would certainly diminish basic 1K status.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A HH DD would probably be of little value as many of the FD clecks do little (or know enough of the HH program) to get you what the HH T&C currently states. And with the omission of the "upgrade to the best available room" clause what do you think you would get with a HH DD or even a HH DDD?

MisterNice
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Let’s Keep Abreast of the Current Elite Level Situation

Originally Posted by MisterNice
And with the omission of the "upgrade to the best available room" clause what do you think you would get with a HH DD or even a HH DDD?
Why does this sound more like a discussion about the bra sizes of women rather than a discussion about elite levels in the Hilton HHonors program?

Anyway, I am also against adding another elite level but all for promoting incentives for “super travelers” to keep them staying at Hilton properties.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 3:41 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
It Doesn't Matter If No Higher Level, Make Your Own

If you stay and spend that much money, you can negotiate your own personalized higher level, with the benefits that are most important to you. However, the hotel and/or program might ask you not to disclose the benefits publically.

I would contact either the GM(s) at the properties you frequent the most, and/or
[email protected]
(he is an HH VP)
and negotiate whatever benefits are most important to you for your loyalty well above and beyond requirements for Diamond. This may be an advantage for you since you can negotiate specifically what is important to you as opposed to getting some cookie cutter benefits.

I would be very surprised if Adam or your hotel gm(s) just tell you there is nothing they can do, and to go ahead and start perhaps working towards Starwood. However, again, I think the company would handle this quietly as to avoid a deluge of similar requests quite possibly from customers that don't contribute as much revenue as you do.

And how do we really know there is not some ultra-secret level above Diamond that is on the hush hush?
Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Hilton (and other brands) want a certain ratio in elite levels. For example:

Diamond ~1%
Gold ~5%
Silver ~20%

(Those #s are mine, but something like that was posted a while back).

So, why would HH try to develop a program for 0.1% of their customers only. I would think that if a level get diluted they would simply adjust the requirements for that level.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by jetsetter
If you stay and spend that much money, you can negotiate your own personalized higher level, with the benefits that are most important to you. However, the hotel and/or program might ask you not to disclose the benefits publically.

I would contact either the GM(s) at the properties you frequent the most, and/or
[email protected]
(he is an HH VP)
and negotiate whatever benefits are most important to you for your loyalty well above and beyond requirements for Diamond. This may be an advantage for you since you can negotiate specifically what is important to you as opposed to getting some cookie cutter benefits.

I would be very surprised if Adam or your hotel gm(s) just tell you there is nothing they can do, and to go ahead and start perhaps working towards Starwood. However, again, I think the company would handle this quietly as to avoid a deluge of similar requests quite possibly from customers that don't contribute as much revenue as you do.

And how do we really know there is not some ultra-secret level above Diamond that is on the hush hush?
Excellent idea and works well. I have about 130 nights the last 12 months at the same Hilton Garden Inn. I talked to the GM and I get two of the $5 pantry coupons (good for alcohol at this one too) each visit and I also get full breakfast coupons instead of the continental ones. A nice gesture on their part. I'm sure I could get more but no need to be greedy

Just as an FYI - most HGI's I've been to have the full breakfast coupons hidden in the desk and will give them out upon friendly request to Diamonds.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GuinnessMan
Excellent idea and works well. I have about 130 nights the last 12 months at the same Hilton Garden Inn. I talked to the GM and I get two of the $5 pantry coupons (good for alcohol at this one too) each visit and I also get full breakfast coupons instead of the continental ones. A nice gesture on their part. I'm sure I could get more but no need to be greedy

Just as an FYI - most HGI's I've been to have the full breakfast coupons hidden in the desk and will give them out upon friendly request to Diamonds.
I once had a talk with the asst GM at a hotel I had very frequest stays at. At my request I usually received my chosen room, they added higher wattage bulbs, a lounge chair, put in the newest tv and provided *FREE* high speed internet etc. And suprise, suprise! Every month or two a chilled bottle of wine etc was greeting me upon arrival. It cost the hotel little, I felt "wanted" and they got a lotta $$$.

Thanks for the FULL BREAKFAST tip. I will give it a try. Two bucks aint much but again itsa nice benny.

MisterNice
Old Jun 4, 2004, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL FO, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fromYXU
So, why would HH try to develop a program for 0.1% of their customers only.
Because that 0.1% (or whatever the number is) produces a lot more than 0.1% of HH's revenue!
Old Jun 4, 2004, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by isogyre
Because that 0.1% (or whatever the number is) produces a lot more than 0.1% of HH's revenue!
I suppose so, but I was trying to make the point that their top elite is well compensated at the moment. I am certain that better customers are well rewarded in specific hotels (likely VIP type treatments). The question is how hard do they need to go after those few that surpass the Diamond standards by >100%.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:24 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Is there something beyond Diamond?

Or do you go and build points/stays on other programs?

Or do you keep on building those HH points?

Survey says. . . . .
Old Jul 22, 2004, 7:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes. Well-traveled Diamond, known at the hotel by staff and GM.

I'm building HHonors points (all points / no miles) for future awards.

I do also maintain SPG Gold, or Priority Club whatever I can get (Platinum right now,) for places that have no HH or maybe (unfortunately) do not have a decent HH property.

Originally Posted by liveon777

Survey says. . . . .

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 22, 2004 at 8:03 pm Reason: add bits
Old Jul 22, 2004, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by liveon777

Survey says. . . . .
No, there is nothing past Diamond.

But I don't "go on" to other programs, it's more like I have to work to get enough stays in to JUST requalify as Diamond. My problem is that all my stays are on my own dime, and where I stay most often it's much easier to find a Priority Club property close by at a really good rate, while I have to go many miles out of my way (and even that only during weeks of lower demand) to get similar rates at an HHonors property.

So it's more like a balancing act to at least requalify for Platinum with Priority Club (during their best promo months, which include summer when HHonors is stingy with promos), and at least requalify for Diamond with HHonors, and slip in those occasional 6000-miles-for-3-stays and such AA promos at Starwood in between! Excess miles tend to go to Priority Club because it rewards me with bonus points and/or miles typically more robustly than HHonors does, and since I don't earn many miles by actual flying, that matters to me more than room upgrades...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.