Old May 11, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Print Wikipost

New York Hilton Midtown {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2001, 8:08 pm
Original Member

oh yes! its crazy at peak times to get up to the executive floors! there are multiple elevator banks, with I think three serving each series of rooms.

executive lounge is on the 44th - nice free breakfast spread (baked goods + fruits) but sometimes it just not worth it to fight the elevators to get there. If i'm on 40-43 I usually just take stairs.

I'm not sure what constitutes an upgrade there - I am diamond and I always ask for a room with a view of central park. I suppose that is an upgrade of some sorts - but the rooms are small, but heck, you sometimes get dazzling view of the park.

once I got a suite at one end of the floor - no view of the park, but it was large (with a very large hallway even).

you can check in on the 44th floor lounge if you have status. they are very nice there and you can sit around and wait for a room if necessary, etc.

Old Jan 16, 2001, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
Oh, I forgot one other thing. If you're looking for ethernet in the room, make sure to aks when you check in. They only have 2 floors wired.
Old Jan 17, 2001, 7:21 am

There are benefits to being upgraded @ the NY Hilton.

I stay at this hotel at least once a month. I like this place because of the superb Executive Lounge and having one the best hotel (free to HHonors Gold) health spas.

I always request a room on the 34th floor or higher, so I don't have to change elevators to go to the Executive Lounge on the 44th floor. The Executive Lounge includes an excellent continental breakfast and evening hors dorves.

Until early December, at least one of the 3 elevators to the top was out of order which made for long waits. It appears this is fixed now.

As a HHonors Gold, I am batting about .600 in upgrading to Executive Level floors and about .300 in upgrading to a suite.

One of the suites that I usually get is a one-bedroom suite. It has two double beds, two full bathrooms, kitchenette in separate room, 6-seat dining table, folding table with 3 chairs in closet, and two full size couches. This is perfect if you must share a room with a colleague, and is good for bringing in other associates for a meeting. It also has a Central Park view.

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.

[This message has been edited by ontheroad (edited 01-17-2001).]
Old Jan 17, 2001, 8:52 am

sounds like I need to get the suite then!!! (the phrase 'no chance' springs to mind!!!!!!)

Anyway....just to clarify - do I need to be on the Executive floor to get access to the lounge or do I just need to show my Gold VIP card for access? Can I take one or more guests?
Old Jan 17, 2001, 12:01 pm

You do not need to have a room on the Executive Levels to get lounge access. You may be asked your room number, which ties to you, being a Gold.

I don't know if they enforce a guest policy. I have taken in three guests without problem. More than that may be questioned.
Old Jan 17, 2001, 5:44 pm
Original Member

To reiterate the comments of others: This is a nice NY property. NY hotels have notoriously small rooms. There are only a few Jr Suites available for upgrade for GOld/Diamond members, but in my 30+ stays at this hotel, I only got one once during a very slow week.

Room upgrades mean very little at this property. When they had the Towers it meant more, since at that time you had to have a Towers room to get into the lounge.

The Exec lounge is a very nice addition, and avail to all Gold/Dia HH members.

------------------
Old Feb 21, 2001, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Hilton New York Midtown Trip Reports and Reviews

Just came back from a weekend stay at the Hilton NY - one of those great President's Day deals - $169. I was upgraded to an Executive floor. This hotel was recently renovated, but the room was pretty standard. Having stayed recently at the Times Square and Millenium in NYC, I would prefer either over the Hilton New York for those of you planning a theatre weekend any time soon. While the Millenium is at the World Trade Center (not too close to Midtown, but an easy subway trip), one can often get some great weeken deals there.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 9:38 am

Any Suggestions

Alright ... well I know this is my own fault but I would appreciate any suggestions if anyone has any...

I was supposed to go NY tomorrow night on business and in booking a Hilton in NY I saw this phenomenal rate for the NY Hilton. It was a value rate ... guaranteed.

Now the event that I was supposed to be attending has been pushed back by two weeks. The regular reservation number that I called for told me to call the hotel number. The hotel reservation number is busy and I can't get them on the phone just yet.

Bottom line - do I have any chance at cancelling this reservation? Should I bother to try or should I just take my medicine?

Any suggestions or possible tactics would be appreciated. I will be happy to rebook at full rate in two weeks in case of any more snow.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 10:28 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd say due to weather, yes, maybe rescheduling - but I would not necessarily expect them to be particularly sympathetic to a meeting change. So if you emphasize how the weather caused the meeting to bre cancelled or even just the weather and that you will be back...

Good luck!
Old Mar 5, 2001, 10:35 am

Thanks for your quick reply doc.

Well, it looks as though I got lucky this time. After several calls to the hotel I managed to get someone in customer service who was very sympathetic and she cancelled my reservation.

Next time when whether is a possible factor I will be more careful.

Thanks again.
Old May 24, 2001, 12:58 pm

Location: Chicago, IL USA UA1K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold
Programs: UA1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum
Hilton New York - no hi speed internet

Just checked into the New York Hilton. Heads up - their contract for high speed internet access expired yesterday - there is none available. Wish they had told me upon check-in.

Also is there a diamond desk or HHonors check-in desk? - I didn't see one upon check-in.
Old May 24, 2001, 2:18 pm

The Diamond Desk is in the Executive Lounge on the 44th floor. It is also accessable for Golds.

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.
Old May 24, 2001, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge

There is also a separate HH check-in line at the far left of the main counter in the lobby. A very nice fellow there volunteered that my gold status entitled me to use the exec lounge and the exercise facilities.

(messed up the editing -- oh well.)

Too bad about the internet access; I agree that they should have warned you.

[This message has been edited by Westcoaster (edited 05-24-2001).]
Old May 24, 2001, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally posted by Westcoaster:

There is also a separate HH check-in line at the far left of the main counter in the lobby. A very nice fellow there volunteered that my gold status entitled me to use the exec lounge and the exercise facilities.

Interesting thing about the exec lounge on the 44th floor: I used it twice, once the evening I checked in and then again the next morning for breakfast. No one was checking to see if people who entered belonged there. Anyone could have walked in and helped themself to the nice breakfast buffet. And I bet they do.

Entry to the exec lounge is spot checked, though relatively rarely. There often seems to be someone on duty on Saturday mornings in particular, but during a mid week stay there a couple of weeks ago, someone stood by the door at random times during the evening.

Regarding the check-in process itself, as a gold you should have no problem presenting yourself in the exec lounge and checking in there. The attending concierge was happy to check me in there during my last stay.
Old May 25, 2001, 1:49 am

Location: Chicago, IL USA UA1K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold
Programs: UA1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum
Thanks...I'll be prepared next time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.