Hilton Toronto {CAN}

Old Apr 6, 2000, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Toronto {CAN}

Hi all, I will need to make reservations soon for this coming June and want to know what the recent feedback (good & bad) or comments of previous guests have regarding this hotel.

There seemed to be no club level mentioned, however I could be wrong here. Is there a concierge lounge? Any other recommended hotels nearby? BTW did read a previous thread on "executive floor" 11-22-99 and got me concerned now. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by testa (edited 04-06-2000).]
Old Apr 6, 2000, 4:40 pm

The Toronto (downtown) Hilton has been
undergoing rehab. I was there again
in late January and the lobby was
absolutely demolished.

The HHonors floors are nice. The rooms
are equipped with two line phones, but I
have had terrible luck (1:4) getting a room
where both lines actually work. Hotel
operator is also generally clueless. If
both lines happen to work, she seems unable
to understand that she has to enable both
lines for dial-8 and dial-9 calling. It
takes 5-6 calls to finally get her off her
arse. I could forgive this nonsense if
they had in-room internet/ethernet drops
(they do not).

The top floor lounge is actually quite
nice. Service is fine. Free treats and
liquor. Nice view (west?).

Toronto (airport) Hilton is a rather
strange affair. The building is lavender.
Their (sub-contracted) airport shuttle is
the pits. Hilton is the last stop on the
route to the airport. I have had to wait
for 5-6 buses to pass before find one with
just enough space to squeeze one more
aboard.

Rooms are nice, but seem just a tad smaller
than the typical Hilton room. I do not
recall if the rooms are equipped with two
line phones. The rooms are not equipped
with internet/ethernet drops.

HHonors lounge is staffed by Gladys. An
absolute gem of a hostess!

Hope this helps.

-doug
Old Apr 8, 2000, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks, appreciate your response. Never been in Toronto before so I will probably look into the other hotels near the area as well.
Old Apr 8, 2000, 3:57 pm

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
[]testa[/b] - I stayed at downtown Hilton many times over the years, last time was in dec'99. The hotel was being remodeled, the lobby was practically gone (cordoned off), but I do hope they've made progress since.
The top floor lounge is great, nice view, quiet, free drinks, snacks, etc. No elute floors, I think.
On the ground floor you will find Ruth Chris Steakhouse, which is quite nice.
I always liked this hotel for its location (tons of places within walking distance) and certain big city ambiance. Always hated their parking situation - expensive, and a rather cavernous underground garage. Last few times I just parked across the street. Less $$$ and nicer walk.
Old Apr 21, 2000, 8:47 am
RAB

I am a diamond member who stays frequently at the downtown Toronto location. If you use an upgrade certificate or get a diamond upgrade you will find the executive lounge on the 32nd floor to be very nice. Free drinks all evening and good quality snacks from 5 to 7PM. Best rooms to request are the rooms ending in numbers 01 (jr. suites) Good location in Toronto. For a better steak house than Ruth's Chris ask for directions to nearby Bardi's steakhouse. Be sure to order the shrimp cocktail (absolutely gigantic shrimp) and you will find that their rib steak to be excellent. Hope this helps.

------------------
RAB
Old Apr 21, 2000, 10:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Toronto has a dearth of good hotels. Many of the properties in Toronto are very down at heel. Even the Four Seasons has seen better days.

That being said, I like the Hilton. It is much better than the Sheraton accross the road.

The view from the lounge is North, up University, accross from Osgoode Hall.

Unless I have a good reason to stay at a specific location, I usually pick the Hilton when I am in Toronto.
Old Jul 7, 2000, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Just returned and did stay at the Renovated Hilton downtown YYZ.
Renovated hotel lobby (modern) with elevated wood floor lobby
Regular rooms equally have contemporary decor with teardrop desks, couch with 1 armrest on the right side only..why? Bathroom with black granite floor, shower with beige granite walls and wet bar with black granite top. As was mentioned 1 out of the 2 phones worked. Not too bad and location downtown was good.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 9:13 am

Toronto Hilton

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Hilton in downtown Toronto?

How convenient a location is it?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 9:40 am
T3

It's downtown close to the financial area. It was fine when I last stayed there but now they've done a major refit so it should be even better; however, I haven't been there recently. All of the shopping, theaters, etc. are within walking distance.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Like most cities, Toronto is a large one, so the convenience of The Hilton will be based on where you plan to go, what you plan to do. I live about 8 blocks east on the same main street, Richmond, and obviously feel this is one of the best locations for just about everything one intends to do in the central part of this city. Virtually anything from shopping of all sorts and price levels, to museums, to restaurants, to plays, to sporting events, are all found within a 1-1/2 mile walk at the most.

When I didn't live in the city, I stayed at The Hilton a few times, and found it equally convenient to business meetings as well as to other destinations. You will be across the street from the one of the main Airport Bus stops [at The Sheraton Centre] and steps from the north/south subway line.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 11:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
I stayed there last year during the Red Green FT gathering and the Hotel was very nice. The renovations are complete and overall very nice. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

------------------
Cheers Scott
Old Feb 13, 2001, 6:07 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
I stayed there last year and it was fine - I'd stay again...
Old Feb 13, 2001, 7:18 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Use of Search reveals no comments more recent than April of 2000, there have been a lot of new members since then, maybe somebody who has stayed there in the the last 10 months might have something to say.

I have stayed there recently and found it to be a well located property for someone who was doing a long weekend as a tourist. There were plenty of things to do within walking distance and the accomodations were up to Hilton standards.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I'll be the odd one out here and say that we were disappointed with that Hilton. The parking garage is a nightmare and the room we got (in June 2000) was small and unattractive. Maybe it's been renovated since then?

The front desk clerk was brusque when I politely asked about an upgrade and wasn't at all helpful when we asked for directions to a local park. No one was waiting in line, so her attitude made a bad impression. We were also disappointed with the restaurant.

After 3 nights at that Hilton we stayed 3 mights at the Marriott by Eaton Center. Fantastic place, connected to Eaton Center (a huge mall) with nice rooms, a very helpful staff, and a nice little restaurant. I'd recommend that Marriott over the Hilton.

Afterthought: I had a devil of a time getting my HH points for that stay (yes my HH # was on the folio). Plus the Hilton mailed me a revised bill that included an extra parking charge that was wrong. The hotel didn't have a toll free number so I had to make a couple of calls on my dime to get them to remove that incorrect parking charge. My grievances are small, but they added up to a bad impression.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 8:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I stayed at the Toronto Hilton extensively in December and January. Can't comment on what it was like before, but the renovations have made this place very vogue. It is most comparable to Starwood's W line of hotels. As a Diamond member, I received a room on the upper floors almost every time I was there. They are nice and rather large.

The Executive lounge on the top floor offers FREE booze as well as snacks. Can't comment on parking, the bar, or the restaurant. Location is excellent, but so is the Sheraton's right across the street. I have stayed there often too. Echoing one of the other posters, I had trouble getting 2 stays in December and 2 in January posted without contacting HHonors. An e-mail to the guest services manager at the Toronto Hilton about these stays went unanswered. The check-in line is usually slow and the HHonors check-in not particularly well served. Local calls are $1.07 (CAD) if I remember correctly, and there are extra charges beyond 60 minutes on 800 #'s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.