Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Singapore {SGP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Singapore {SGP}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2002, 10:51 pm

Its not quite right to say the Conrad is isolated or out of the way. It is located by Suntec, a huge shopping center, which also connects to Marina Square, another large shopping center. From Suntec or Marina Square is an underground walkway, City Walk, IIRC, lined with more shops that lead to the City Hall MRT station from which its just a short ride to Orchard Road shopping; fare should be 0.70SGD, or less than 50 cents US per person one way. Or, right by that MRT station is Raffles City, another shopping center, although smaller than Marina Square or Suntec. Nearby is also Chijmes and Raffles Hotel.

Also within (a bit longish) walking distance from the Conrad are Boat Quay and Clarke Quay which offers variety of restaurants, bars and nightlife.

You'll find many of the same shops in the various shopping areas. Orchard Road does tend to have more upscale (read more expensive) shops than other areas, but there's a few inexpensive places also (look for where the Filipina maids go shopping for themselves or their families).

Old Mar 12, 2002, 10:51 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Hilton-The “secret” of booking the Hilton is not to specify the child. (Also, don’t specify a non-smoking room. You can get it when checking in, if required.) The rooms are smaller than the Conrad, but 3 in a room should be fine. (I had 2 adults and 2 kids for our first trip, though the Reservations people panicked.) I don't think you can get 2 queen size beds, though. Doubles may be the best you can do and, as in often the case in Asia, many rooms with two beds have only twins. I don’t know what the bed sizes are on the exec floors for two beds in a room. This is an older property. Staff is friendly and helpful.

As a Gold you should be upgraded with no problems. Hilton is somewhat noisy, especially the side on Orchard Road. (I was in both properties over last weekend, so this is current information.)

Location is somewhat better for shopping and proximity to MRT (subway/underground). Very inexpensive air con food court eating nearby, next to Marriott, with many selections approachable to children. Laundry behind Palais Renaissance across Orchard Road.

Conrad-Nicer, quieter property. Ok to specify non smoking room on reservation. Upgrade without asking for Gold. No access to Exec Lounge for child < 12 years old. Free breakfast through downstairs restaurant or by room service in addition to exec lounge. Staff very helpful and friendly. Long walk (with a child) to MRT, though it’s faster to go above ground (non-air con) for the heat tolerant. Much nicer pool area. Adjacent Suntec and Marina Square malls just ok compared to Orchard Road shopping such as Ngee Ann City. (More oriented to locals.) Very inexpensive food court adjacent as well as cheap restaurants in Suntec basement by fountain. 15 minute walk to Boat Quay river area. Consider having tea at the Fullerton hotel.

For both, take a taxi to zoo, including night safari, and bird park. It’s simpler than taking the MRT, then bus. If you want to call the US, get a S$10 Singtel Worldcard phonecard from 7-11.

I guess my choice would be the Conrad, especially if the family needs quiet to get over jet lag, as mine does.
Rich
Old Mar 12, 2002, 10:42 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, Hilton, Marriott, and Northwest
I was looking for the same info for 3 adults in SIN. The US reservations said not possible. I called both hotels and was told can have rollaway bed $50 SGD and full breakfast for $27 SGD. They quoted me a pretty good rate complete for 3 for around $250 SGD at Hilton. The rate at the conrad online for 2 was as little as $165 SGD but the cheapest for 3 that the hotel quoted was just over $300 SGD.

I was wondering, should I book online and then a couple of days later call to add the third and pay the extra fee? That way I save some and get the online booking. I guess worse case I have to cancel the reservation and do another.

------------------
Robert
Old Mar 13, 2002, 7:20 am
rjh

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robvberg:
... should I book online and then a couple of days later call to add the third and pay the extra fee? That way I save some and get the online booking. ... </font>
This should work. By the way, there are several inexpensive breakfast opportunities close to each hotel ranging from Starbucks to Delifrance.
Rich
Old Mar 13, 2002, 6:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Any good, and relatively inexpensive (at least in Singapore terms) family restaurants, near the Conrad, or near the Hilton?
Old Mar 13, 2002, 6:53 pm
rjh

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerGoldII:
Any good, and relatively inexpensive (at least in Singapore terms) family restaurants, near the Conrad, or near the Hilton?</font>
Well, right next to the Conrad is a cheap, and very good, food court. More expensive and totally non-S'pore is the adjacent California Pizza Kitchen, Outback Steak House, Irish sandwich place, etc.

My vote would be for the food court where everyone can get the food they like. For example, you can splurge for a chicken rice set for S$5.80 and a lime juice for S$1.20. (Less than USD$4.) Good local desserts, too. Ordering is basically: look, point, pay, take a tray away to a table. English is generally understood, but generally not needed.

Similar near the Hilton, either right next door or, better, in the basement next to the Marriott. Basically you can throw a popiah (spring roll) in S'pore and hit a cheap restaurant.

Also by the Conrad in Suntec City is a food court as you enter and in the basement a---food court. You might be getting the picture that S'pore has a *lot* of cheap food courts. Sit down restaurants, too, but why bother?
Rich

Old Mar 13, 2002, 9:59 pm

Some good suggestions about the food courts already.

Of course, inexpensive is a relative term. Singapore meals range from really inexpensive (hawker centers) to really expensive.

One place not mentioned yet is Soup Restaurant which is a Chinese restaurant, based on the Cantonese Samsui area in China. It has much more than soup, and is inexpensive, although more than the food courts, maybe a bit less per per person than say, a dinner at Denny's. One drawback is the 'seating solution' as marketers may say , are not chairs, but stools.

Oh, yeah, its located either on Purvis or Seah Street, which is a just down a bit from Raffles Hotel, which is close to the Conrad. You may see others also around the island, as there are several.

Old Mar 14, 2002, 6:34 am
rjh

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by siliconengineer:
One place not mentioned yet is Soup Restaurant ... its located either on Purvis or Seah Street,
</font>

39 Seah Street
Good local guides are www.makansutra.com and www.makantime.com Die, die, must try!
Rich
Old Mar 14, 2002, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Perhaps the greatest pleasure in Singapore is the wide variety of very reasonably priced food. I'd encourage you to take the suggestions above and explore on your own. Tremendous Chinese (many types), Thai, Indian, Malay, and Indonesian. Pretty much everything is clean and safe.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerGoldII:
Any good, and relatively inexpensive (at least in Singapore terms) family restaurants, near the Conrad, or near the Hilton?</font>

As mentioned, in Suntec city (a massive, multi-building complex that very nearly surrounds the Conrad) below ground level, there is an area called Fountain Terrace (I think that's the name, anyway). This area surrounds a gigantic water fountain. There must be at least 50 restaurants around this terrace and on the four "spokes" that extend outwards from the terrace. There are so many choices; and many large restaurants suitable for Family meals.

http://www.suntec.com.sg/retail/index.htm
Old May 11, 2002, 3:13 pm

singapore stopover

if i buy one of these when i fly singapore airlines can i manage to get points and qualifying stay?
Old May 11, 2002, 6:33 pm

doubt it as these are package rates. You'll pay like $1 or a low rate for the hotel. you may be able to get away with stay data by presenting ur card at the hotel to help u along with status.

if u want a cheap rate for the sin hilton, they have a good rate on hilton.com for $175+++ (sgd/night) which is about us$90/night and earn hhonors points.
Old May 12, 2002, 11:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
Fran - sometimes with Hilton on a package rate, as long as you charge to your account, you will get miles and a few points for the stay. That works occasionally, other times not. Singaporians tend to be quite finicky about such matters, but sometimes there are system glitches in your favour. I would rather spend $1 for the stay, and take the chance of 0 miles, than pay 100 times that rate!!
Koala
Old May 13, 2002, 1:29 am

mine own thoughts, entirely, Koala..
i have to return to sin anyway after trip to hkg, so i think to take the cheapie, see what happens and then use points at conrad...
i want to get some stays in,its worth the gamble..
Old Jun 20, 2002, 6:49 am

SIN: Conrad v. Hilton

Like many other UA'ers, I am doing a mileage run to SIN in September. Rather than flying in and right back out, I plan to stay a couple of days and be a tourist.

I've been finding that online rates for the Conrad at that time are as low as S$200/night, but the lowest rate at the Hilton is S$300!

Personally, while I have no qualms about staying at the Hilton (the Orchard Rd location is great), I think the Conrad is a clearly superior property. Hence, I don't understand why the Hilton is so pricey - especially when I stayed at the Hilton in early September last year for S$190/night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.