Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Be Our Guest and Be My Guest Certificates: The Definitive Thread

Old Oct 25, 2003, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Be My Guest by Conrad Hilton

Somehow, this little paperback found it's way into one of my bags from some Hilton I must have stayed in. I read it and it was very interesting how the whole Hilton empire got started. Anybody else read it?
Old Oct 25, 2003, 2:01 pm

Copies of this book and bibles were in the nightstands of the Walkalotta.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This book is in many Hiltons located in the stand by the bed with the telephone on the top. Yes, it is interesting how it started.

Now Phase II is the exciting exploits of the slender pair of Paris and Nikki Hilton exciting the world. My best guess is this/that is how it will all end.

MisterNice
Old Oct 25, 2003, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I believe it's in ALL Hiltons, isn't it?

At least it seems that way!

Yes, it's actually pretty interesting. I've dipped into it enough times that I think I've probably read the whole thing twice (although not sequentially).

Hilton Hotels today are a far cry from the "Wild West" type place that Conrad Hilton started his career with. You know, where you have strangers rooming with each other (and I don't mean THAT!), partitions put up in the lobby to create more sleeping space, that sort of thing.

Kathy
Old Oct 25, 2003, 6:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Loved the book. Especially liked all his little folksy wisdom, and rules for life, like "Never give whiskey as a gift to an AA."
Old Oct 25, 2003, 8:17 pm

I am reading the book now and have always liked the quote he uses about dreaming big and acting big to become big.

When I am done with the book, I will put it in the Coupon Connection for someone else to enjoy.

Have a good weekend!

------------------
Mah Jongg Gifts:
http://www.WhereTheWindsBlow.com
Old Oct 29, 2003, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
I was amazed to read that Conrad Hilton was married to Zsa Zsa Gabor and how one of his sons was married to Liz Taylor. I wonder if this book is required reading for employees.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 9:47 pm

I was just told by Customer Service that they would send me a Be our Guest Certificate, and I couldn't find any information using the search engine. Anyone know exactly how these are used, what catagory hotel, blackout dates, type of room, etc???

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2004, 12:17 am

What brand was your problem at?Mine was at ES and the cert was good for one nights stay at any ES with in a year.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 1:21 am

It was a Hilton Hotel, so maybe it will be limited to that. Did you have any trouble redeeming the cert?
Old Jun 27, 2004, 8:17 am

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Be our Guest, Be our guest, put our service to the test.

After an awful stay at the Hilton NY i got one of these(The WWF royal rumble was in town and the wrestlers were stating in the hotel, and about 50 people where camped out overnight in the lobby. It was aweful.) But any way. Here is what it says.

VALUE: 1 Standard Room
Recipient: ADAM XXXX( MY NAME)
EXPIRATION DATE: 4/30/05(which wsa one year from date issued)
Redeem this certificate for one night of complimentary lodging(Room and tax only) at any participating Hilton Hotel in the United States.

On the back the restrictions.
Not Valid at:
The Drake
The Waldorf=Astoria
The Marquette
Atlantic city Hilton
Flamingo
Bally's
Las Vegas hilton
Hilton Internatial Hotels(Outside the US)
Hilton Grand Vaction Hotelts

Enjoy

Last edited by HepperSchepp; Jun 27, 2004 at 8:26 am Reason: Add more info, typo
Old Jun 27, 2004, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by caro
It was a Hilton Hotel, so maybe it will be limited to that. Did you have any trouble redeeming the cert?

You won"t have any problem,just book the room online and give them the cert at check-in.They send the folio with the cert to hilton for payment.My guess is that the hotel causing the problem will then be billed for your stay.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 6:21 pm

Hilton be our guest cert?

Does anyone know if I will get the points for the rate booked when paying with a Hilton be our guest cert from a bad stay?Or should I take the miles?
Old Aug 3, 2004, 7:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Since you presumably received bad stay's earned points and miles, if they are part of your rewards choice, I doubt you'd get more points at the new hotel from the cert than you'd earn for money spent and on your room charges, and would get the stay credited, of course. We'll see what others say, I've not used one of the "whoops! we messed up, here!" certs.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 6:04 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HH Diam, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Discvrist, Pri Clb, WN, AA, DL, F9, Global Entry/TSA Pre
Hi bbbb,

I've used both a "Be My Guest" Cert and a letter for a free night from an individual hotel. Both stays that generated the "Service Recovery" in the industry lingo of course were paid, posted and counted toward HHonors status.

The BMG cert was for a specific brand (of my choice - Doubletree in this case). I just made a reservation online at DT.com and I of course noted in the comment box I was planning on using it to pay for the room/tax...incidentals earned HHonors points and I got credit for the stay.

The letter from a bad Hilton experience (It was so horrible I told them to take the Hilton name off the building) was used at the same property that generated my letter...after they assured me renovations were complete ...that was their excuse for most of the chaos on the first visit. I again booked online at Hilton.com, and noted I had a letter from Mr. XYZ, Dir of Housekeeping again for a free room/tax. Again, no problem, it counted as another stay and I got my HHonors points for meal/incidental charges.

BTW, I earn points only, so as a Diamond I get 50% for Diam and another 50% for the point option I chose = Double HHonors points...but I would assume you would get whatever air miles you would be entitled to on a regular stay (in this case, it might be wise to switch to FIXED miles if they are really important to you). That would guarantee you the 500 or 100 miles depending upon your Hilton brand.

Last edited by NJRob; Aug 4, 2004 at 6:09 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.