Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton "Go Out" Gay Rates... Experiences for Straights?

Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:07 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta

I needed a room next month in Las Vegas, and see that - by far - the best rate outside of a non-cancellable/prepaid offer is the gay "Go Out" rate. Which, as a hetero-Diamond-MVP-TeamUSA-Government rate qualified guest, I guess I feel a little less appreciated / discriminated by.

The cancelable rate offers greater-than-Diamond benefits:

"With this value added Go Out travel package you will enjoy

Premium Wi-Fi
Complimentary one-year digital subscription to OUT magazine
Two complimentary welcome beverages
Late checkout, where and when available"

...Has anyone booked this rate and requested to not get the magazine/not gotten on mailing lists, or simply successfully gotten HHonors reservations people to just honor the offer of free wifi, free drinks, and late checkout, while matching the same rate - without signing on to the package?

I don't want to veer into the political/moral zone this topic could easily devolve into, I just want a better rate and a late check out, maybe even a complimentary soft drink upon check in.

TDM

PS: As additional non-plussedness - why, oh why, when you select "Las Vegas Strip" from the pull-down menu on hilton.com, does it go to a page where you have to clarify "The Strip, Clark County, NV" or (not) alternatively "The Strip, Clark County, NV"? (Both choices lead you to the same results). Wonky Hilton IT strikes again!
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:46 pm

No one at the Front Desk is going to ask you questions about your sexuality. (I'm sure you know that.) A better-than-average hotel might provide recommendations about local gay and gay-friendly businesses. If this is printed information, just accept it and move on. If the representative offers verbal suggestions, a simple "my schedule is set" will suffice.

As far as the subscription goes, I would operate until the assumption that your information will be sent to the magazine. No one at the hotel will have access to the chain database of guests booking this rate. And, the likelihood that you will be able to talk to someone at Hilton with the authority to alter that database is pretty slim. (I could be wrong...but if they can't get "The Strip, Clark County, NV" right, they probably won't have a process to alter a marketing database.)

Finally, I'd guess that anyone who books this rate will possibly receive LGBT-themed marketing emails from Hilton.

If any of the above situations bother you, I wouldn't book this rate.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant

I don't want to veer into the political/moral zone this topic could easily devolve into, I just want a better rate and a late check out, maybe even a complimentary soft drink upon check in.

I look forward to the day when our society has progressed enough that nobody bothers with "if I do this, will people think I'm gay?"

You get a better rate and some extras. Book it. Nobody is going to ask you for "gay ID" or sign you up for Grindr. A magazine comes in the mail every once in awhile... recycle it. An email comes... delete it.

If the MVP rate was cheapest, you'd book that without blinking, even though your last organized sport participation was probably little league...

As mentioned, if you are bothered in any way by homosexuality, just avoid booking this rate.

BTW, thanks for the information about a better rate available in Vegas...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
My thoughts exactly!!! ^
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I look forward to the day when our society has progressed enough that nobody bothers with "if I do this, will people think I'm gay?"

You get a better rate and some extras. Book it. Nobody is going to ask you for "gay ID" or sign you up for Grindr. A magazine comes in the mail every once in awhile... recycle it. An email comes... delete it.

If the MVP rate was cheapest, you'd book that without blinking, even though your last organized sport participation was probably little league...

As mentioned, if you are bothered in any way by homosexuality, just avoid booking this rate.

I don't think we should assume OP's mindset here. Maybe he just doesn't like his name being added to mailing lists.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I used the rate at the HGVC on the north end of the Strip about 9 months ago. There was no discussion about it at the front desk and I have not received any new email/snail mail related to it. I get lots of HH promo emails, but none appear tailored to the LGBT community.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
I don't think we should assume OP's mindset here. Maybe he just doesn't like his name being added to mailing lists.
Or maybe he just wants the best deal. I've seen handicapped and pet friendly rooms for less than regular rooms - I don't need either, but I sure would like to get those prices.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's certainly a fair question to ask. It reads like a partner promotion where the partner is a magazine, and magazines about any topic are notorious for selling their mailing lists.

In actuality, the only question I'm left with after using the rate is how a guest who WANTS the magazine signs up for it. If you do nothing, you don't get it. Maybe you just ask the FDC and they hand you a card? <shrug>
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See Techgirl's experience with a similar rate here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16947857-post29.html
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
I assume the better rate is strictly a marketing decision not much different than HGV promos. Perhaps the magazines that come free with the offer are looking to expand their membership via trail offers just like CC's do? With the hope that you will in turn make them more money down the road.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
I booked a romance package for two one (not in a Hilton) as it was the cheapest rate. I was the only one staying but I still got the fruit in the room, the champagne for dinner and a nice red rose for the dinner table.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Truffles
I booked a romance package for two one (not in a Hilton) as it was the cheapest rate. I was the only one staying but I still got the fruit in the room, the champagne for dinner and a nice red rose for the dinner table.
Did you see dead people, too?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Any code to search for this rate elsewhere?

I can pretend to be gay to save a few bucks.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

I can pretend to be gay to save a few bucks.
Gay for pay, as it's called in the industry.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I used it in London last year at the Paddington Hilton. For less than the regular rate I got free wifi and two free drinks, one of which I may have even shared with a woman! Strictly "don't ask don't tell".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.