Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Best Upgrade Strategy to get 2-Bdr Suite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

I need to get a 2-bedroom suite, or I'll have to get 2 rooms. Preferably the former, since it cost half the price. I'm Diamond btw, and am counting on an upgrade.

I'm thinking of the following approach:
1) Find a hotel that has 2-bedroom suites, like Homewood Suites.
2) Book a 1-bedroom suite for the stay, and book another 1-bedroom suite that starts 1 day after the first reservation.
3) Email/Call the property to see if they can confirm your upgrade for the first reservation, if not try your luck on check in.
4) If you get upgraded, cancel your second reservation. If you don't get upgraded, check in to the second room tomorrow.

What do you guys think? I had to stagger the 2 reservations cause Hilton doesn't allow same day cancellation anymore.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
If you really need a 2 bedroom suite I can highly recommend the following approach. It does not work every time but in the vast majority of cases it does get you what you want with minimal hassle.
1. Find a desirable hotel with a two bedroom suite.
2. Book said 2 bedroom suite.
3. Check in to said 2 bedroom suite.
4. Stay in the 2 bedroom suite that you checked in for.
5. Check out and pay for the room catergory needed.
6. Anything else is a bonus.

Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by madfish
If you really need a 2 bedroom suite I can highly recommend the following approach. It does not work every time but in the vast majority of cases it does get you what you want with minimal hassle.
Agreed, pay for what you need.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
If you don't need the suite, ask for a paid upgrade at checkin, and take it if the price offered is significantly lower than the current differential.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:01 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If you need a 2 bedroom suite or 2 rooms then book it. There is no guarantee you'd be upgraded, and the hotel may sell out of the 2 bedroom suites making an upgrade impossible.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:36 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
I needed a 2-bedroom suite and booked the cheapest cat 2-bedroom suite. Got a 1-cat upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite almost double the size at Istanbul Hilton.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I agree with responders that say to book what you need, especially knowing that upgrades are NOT a stated benefit at Homewood Suites for any HHonors VIP level.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:17 am

When we travel for soccer tournaments we often book a 1 bed suite at a Homewood. I have never once been upgraded to a 2 bed and have never expected it. Diamond here too.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I'm Diamond btw, and am counting on an upgrade.
Will you be traveling with a giraffe?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:07 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Will you be traveling with a giraffe?
and a former american idol
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
On numerous award stays I have contacted the property in advance and explained what I was looking for and my willingness to pay a nightly surcharge. More often then not I have been able to get what I needed (usually a true suite with at least 1.5 bathrooms.)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Go to Embassy Suites. Every room is really two rooms, with a door which can be closed between them, and a sofa in the living room which someone can sleep on.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Dovster
Go to Embassy Suites. Every room is really two rooms, with a door which can be closed between them, and a sofa in the living room which someone can sleep on.
Actually, some Embassy Suites also have Studio Suites (one large room with a sleeping area and a living area). So, not every room is a one-bedroom suite. Depends on the particular hotel.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Actually, some Embassy Suites also have Studio Suites (one large room with a sleeping area and a living area). So, not every room is a one-bedroom suite. Depends on the particular hotel.
Booked one of these for a bridal party group this past May at the Anchorage ES. Three times the cost of a "normal" ES room but it was needed for logistics. That said, it was huge. Came with two bathrooms.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:41 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by madfish
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.