Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Check out early on fifth-night-free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

Contemplating booking an award stay for next year. I only need four nights; however, with the fifth night free, I'm wondering whether I can just check out a day early without penalty. Would I still get HHonors credit (I qualify based upon number of nights) for that fifth night?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by sannmann
Contemplating booking an award stay for next year. I only need four nights; however, with the fifth night free, I'm wondering whether I can just check out a day early without penalty. Would I still get HHonors credit (I qualify based upon number of nights) for that fifth night?
Simply leave. You don't need to physically check-out. If it makes you feel any better, the morning after the 5th night, call the hotel and let them know you checked out but forgot to let them know.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:37 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
It's a small issue but make sure to tell the front desk you want an email bill versus paper. If you check out early there may be a copy of your bill under the door. Hopefully housekeeping would remove it but if not there may be some personal information on the bill that the next guest would see.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by kklems
Hopefully housekeeping would remove it but if not there may be some personal information on the bill that the next guest would see.
... and the next guest would see it because housekeeping would not have cleared it even though they would have cleaned the room?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Also consider if on day 1 you need the room early. Start the reservation for the prior night (with a notation that arrival will be the following day in the AM).
Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:23 pm

Or conversely it is convenient to keep the 5th night if you need a late check out for any reason or if there is any question of travel irregularities-flight cancellations. Did this a couple of years back when had an evening flight. We were able to have use of the room until 5 pm when we headed to the airport. The cost in points is the same for 4 or 5 nights.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Don't all of these schemes remove (waste) one night from the available inventory for award rooms that someone else might need? Or the hotel might sell to a paying customer?

And to what gain? OP gets another night's stay credit?

I am actually amazed that Hilton credits award stay nights for elite qualification.

Usually, when we lose a benefit, it is because the hotel or airline claims that the benefit is being abused.

What the OP suggests sounds like abuse.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Don't all of these schemes remove (waste) one night from the available inventory for award rooms that someone else might need? Or the hotel might sell to a paying customer?

And to what gain? OP gets another night's stay credit?

I am actually amazed that Hilton credits award stay nights for elite qualification.

Usually, when we lose a benefit, it is because the hotel or airline claims that the benefit is being abused.

What the OP suggests sounds like abuse.
My apologies for disappointing you.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Simply leave. You don't need to physically check-out.
This is true in the US but may not be true in foreign countries.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sannmann
Look at it from the other side

How would you feel if you need an award night but can't book it because someone is selfishly and deliberately booking/taking an un-needed 5th night free

Book only 4nights if that is all you actually need.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:08 am

Don't forget to check AXON awards for 4 night stays if you have a Hilton AmEx. They can be (but aren't always) cheaper.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:30 pm

Nevermind

Last edited by Chelski; Oct 25, 2016 at 7:37 pm
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Marriott also gives credit for award stays (points or certs) towards elite quals.

I'm really not sure whether Hilton or Marriott starting doing it first.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Reviving this, I'm only around for 3 nights.

However I'll need 4 nights to trigger the 80 night bonus. Should I book 5 nights since it's the same number of points with 4 ?

Or is 2 nights empty just stretching the limit.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:29 am

I dont think you need to physically check out . I typically just walk out for hotels in US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.