Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Honors App Check in: Choose Room Question

Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass

So I see that you can Check in on the app the day before your stay, and even choose your room.

The question I have is, when you are looking at rooms to choose from does it let you know how many beds are in the room (1 King vs 2 Queen, etc)?

Thanks
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:35 am

Yes, it does.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by swiftaw
So I see that you can Check in on the app the day before your stay, and even choose your room.

The question I have is, when you are looking at rooms to choose from does it let you know how many beds are in the room (1 King vs 2 Queen, etc)?

Thanks
In my experience it is VERY basic information you will see. Just bed type and where it is on the floor. You won't know if its a "good" room or if it has a connecting door, etc..
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Every map I've seen when I check in shows whether there are connecting doors in the room. If you look at map view it's pretty obvious.

Neil
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
You can also see when some rooms are a bit bigger than others, or oddly shaped room, proximity to elevators, etc. I find it quite useful
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by missamo80
Every map I've seen when I check in shows whether there are connecting doors in the room. If you look at map view it's pretty obvious.

Neil
Interesting ... I'll look again next week when I check-in ... maybe its based on how the property codes their data? As one of the hotels I stay in very often only shows bed type.

They also restrict a lot of rooms and don't let you choose a room above about floor 7 of an 11 floor building (only floors 10 & 11 are Executive Level).
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
I used the app to check into the Hilton in Sheffield (where I'm currently sat enjoying a pint). I liked the fact I could select a room on the highest floor and position myself overlooking the river basin rather than the road. Also managed to bag a room away from the lifts, ice room and stairs so should be a little quieter. Also some received two bottles of water on check in for using the app.

One final little thing to make me smile was I already knew which way to turn before I got out of the lift. Winner winner chicken dinner
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond

Neil
Hmmmmmm not always, when I stay at Canary Wharf I always request room 205 , this shows on map as interconnecting but it actually is not..... Same with a few other Hilton's I've noticed on my travels.....don't take the map as gospel!.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:43 pm

Keep in mind that these basic floor plans aren't going to show the quirks of a building. Things like: restaurant exhaust vents, HVAC equipment, loading docks, garbage dumpsters, parking lot lights that shine into the room, adjacent buildings that mar the view, or structural beams that reduce the useable size of the room.
virtualjsk likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by wizla
Hmmmmmm not always, when I stay at Canary Wharf I always request room 205 , this shows on map as interconnecting but it actually is not..... Same with a few other Hilton's I've noticed on my travels.....don't take the map as gospel!.
+1 ^ , generally I find it good for this (at least in the UK) but there are sometimes errors where you select a room that doesn't show a connecting door but it has one and the other way around, although this does appear to be a very small minority of the time (maybe only one room in the hotel shown wrong)...

Not perfect but still quite useful for trying to determine one's fate proactively.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.

Neil
Not always, I've seen hotel maps that did not have any connecting door indicated, and then discovered that indeed, it does.... And more than once BTW.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton
This is true. I wish there was a way to know which rooms were good vs. which to avoid. I look at satellite pictures on Google Earth to help avoid the HVAC or dumpster view, but there is no way to tell if you will be smelling the kitchen or the pool or any similar nuisance. Also, no way to tell if some floors are renovated and others not. So the app isn't perfect, but it's a step in a good direction. I'd love to know the algorithm used when the app picks for you.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by virtualjsk
I look at satellite pictures on Google Earth to help avoid the HVAC [noise] or dumpster view...
To be honest, that's what I do. Also, I think it's totally fine if the best rooms can be picked by people who know the hotel as a regular guest or by people who take the trouble to do research on Google Earth or take the trouble to read a forum like this one. A database in which really everyone can look up the best rooms would appear to be rather counterproductive in my opinion.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Low Roller
You can also see when some rooms are a bit bigger than others, or oddly shaped room, proximity to elevators, etc. I find it quite useful
The depicted room sizes can be quite deceiving at some hotels .
Old Sep 27, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Sisosig
To be honest, that's what I do. Also, I think it's totally fine if the best rooms can be picked by people who know the hotel as a regular guest or by people who take the trouble to do research on Google Earth or take the trouble to read a forum like this one. A database in which really everyone can look up the best rooms would appear to be rather counterproductive in my opinion.
I do that too, in fact I spend way to long analysing this , I even use street view to check out the car park spaces.. sad isnt it 😂
Sisosig and strickerj like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.