Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Points booking for 4 - no extra charge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat

Hey everyone,

I've managed to snag a standard room at 40k points/night. I've entered that I'll have 4 people in the room. It just showed the 40k points charge, no extra money charge for occupancy. Would the hotel charge me for something like that, or is it (almost) set in stone that I'll only be charged the 40k?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I've booked rooms for 4 people at Hampton Inn's for 40k points with no problem. You'll get even more bang for your buck!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us
You'll get even more bang for your buck!
Just what I thought! I'm expecting an upgrade to an oceanfront suite, and after quotes it retails, that same day, at around $450 after taxes and everything. 1.125 cents/point!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
Just what I thought! I'm expecting an upgrade to an oceanfront suite, and after quotes it retails, that same day, at around $450 after taxes and everything. 1.125 cents/point!
You should NOT expect to get an upgrade to an oceanfront suite. You may be sorely disappointed. Upgrades are not guaranteed. If the standard room is not a 'suite", then don't expect a suite upgrade. Suites for are not part of the Gold benefits.

Keep in mind Gold upgrades can be a corner room, room on a higher floor, or with other amenities like bathrobe, etc. Gold upgrades are only 1 category up or a room with "enhanced" features.

Also if you need extra bedding, e.g., extra beds, that is NOT included in the award booking and is an extra charge. If breakfast is not already included, e.g. Hampton Inn, the free breakfast benefit is for 2 registered guests only. The hotel may give you 4 as a courtesy if you ask nicely but do NOT expect or demand it. You are not entitled to the extra breakfasts.

I have gotten 3 ppl on an award with the hotel granting breakfast to all three of us. Definitely, a great us of points.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:52 am

Although, the 1 cat upgrade is the standard upgrade that is offered, when one is offered. The checkin host can basically do whatever he/she wants, and if the hotel management is OK with giving someone even with no status a suite, then he/she can do it.

That said, the OP shouldn't be expecting an Oceanfront Suite (I wonder where that idea came from). May not even get an upgrade at all.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
That said, the OP shouldn't be expecting an Oceanfront Suite (I wonder where that idea came from).
I am wondering about that too! I don't think I have ever seen anyone said they are "expecting" an upgrade let alone oceanfront suite. I want to know the secret!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
I am wondering about that too! I don't think I have ever seen anyone said they are "expecting" an upgrade let alone oceanfront suite. I want to know the secret!
I booked at the DoubleTree Paracas, which is an all-suite hotel. My standard room reward is for a pool-view 2-room suite.

The only types of rooms in this hotel are accesible pool-view, pool-view and oceanfront suites. The next up (and top) from the suite I booked is the oceanfront suite.

Right now it's a very low season for that hotel. It's mostly booked during summer (it's winter here) since it's a beach resort. Right now, the area is extremely windy (hence the name Paracas for the city, means strong wind from the beach). To get to the hotel, you have to be willing to move there - it's not like you would just grab a night if you're stranded. And I've been checking online, and most of the time I can find oceanfront suites available for sale same-day.

So, there you go. That's my trick! Or strategy, actually. Again, I'm expecting, so I know there is a chance to not get it (which is cool as well). Not bad at all for a mattress run, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.