Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors VP Takes Your Questions

Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Here is the full response from Aaron, cleaned up from the original reply.

Hi all,

Aaron and I really enjoyed reading through all your posts - it was great to receive such constructive feedback. After reviewing them, we wanted to address a number of the popular topics you raised. Please find Aaron's initial responses below.

Thanks again for participating!
Lauren

--

Hello FlyerTalkers,

I couldn't be more thrilled to be here and to connect with some of our most active members. When Lauren and I initially discussed this Q&A session, we knew there would be some interest. But the outpouring of comments - and your excitement about the future of Hilton HHonors - has truly exceeded our expectations.

Our top priority is to put members first, and at the heart of everything we do here at Hilton. That means we will continue to evolve and grow the program for you - based on your feedback. Through our new brands, new hotels and game-changing digital innovation, we are focused on creating lifelong relationships with our members by delivering exceptional, personalized experiences.

With that in mind, it's been incredible to see all your direct feedback on what's going well and what we can improve.

Hilton HHonors Promotions
Our team has been hard at work over the past year improving our offers and simplifying our approach to Hilton HHonors promotions. Many of you took note and it's great to hear your positive feedback. We've strived to make our promotions simpler, straightforward, asterisk-free, and inclusive of all properties - and it's clearly resonating with you. To keep up the momentum, we've got another promotion coming soon that we think you will enjoy.

Hilton HHonors App
When I joined Hilton, one of the things I was most excited about was our amazing Hilton HHonors app. We love it and based on your comments, so do you! It's amazing to hear all the ways it has improved your stays - whether choosing your own room or going straight to your room with Digital Key. As a road warrior myself, I've become a devoted fan - counting down until check-in time, browsing the floor map for green dots, and then picking my favorite room. We're also excited about more app enhancements coming soon, and the expansion of Digital Key to even more of our hotels across the world.

Gold and Diamond Tier Benefits
We received a lot of feedback on what you most like about each tier and our opportunity to think more about the progression from Gold to Diamond Elite. Our aim is to offer our Gold Elite members a choice of benefits from among the areas you've indicated are most important to you. Our Diamond tier takes these benefits to the next level - from upgrade priority, even more Bonus Points, a dedicated Diamond Desk at our Call Center and our up-to 48-hours room guarantee. That said, we've heard you and will continue to find ways to evolve both elite tiers

Lifetime Diamond
Launching Lifetime Diamond last year was a historic milestone for the program, and our inaugural "Class of 2015" and this year's "Class of 2016"" has shared incredible feedback. We also know that more of you want to achieve this exclusive status. While we are not ready to announce any qualification changes at this point, we are reviewing the status earning criteria with your thoughtful feedback in mind.

Room Upgrades
Complimentary room upgrades are certainly something we spend a lot of time thinking about and working on. We know you want more of them - and so do we. As you might imagine, there are many considerations in awarding upgrades across over 4,660 properties worldwide. But we hear you and will be looking for more and new opportunities to address your suggestions.

Breakfast/Waldorf Astoria MyWay Benefits
Breakfast benefits - whether part of the Hilton HHonors program or a standard offering of our brands - are an important part of our members' stay experiences. As you many of you know, we offer a full or continental breakfast for our Hilton HHonors members at the vast majority of our hotels. That said, we're not at 100% of our brands - namely Waldorf Astoria. While we do offer food and beverage benefits at Waldorf, we understand your perspectives and will be discussing it further with our teams.

Hotels Benefit Delivery
We will continue to focus on how we consistently deliver your Hilton HHonors benefits at each hotel. Our aim is deliver a more consistent, rewarding experience at all hotels by finding new ways to enable and empower our hotel Team Members across the globe. We relentlessly track performance at each hotel and work to quickly address the gaps you share. We also encourage you to provide "in the moment" feedback through the Hilton HHonors app and have our commitment that the hotel will respond rapidly during your stay to make it right. Keep your feedback coming - to the hotels and to us - and we'll keep evolving our approach.

Partnerships
We're proud of our partnerships and the opportunities to redeem Points for exclusive events -- from Live Nation concerts and exclusive artists experience to unprecedented McLaren-Honda VIP access races to rock-star-like access at The GRAMMYs. Glad you are enjoying them too - keep an eye on our auction website as we continue to add once-in-a-lifetime experiences to the mix.

Additional Suggestions
You shared feedback on a number of other areas - some more general and some very specific. We need a bit more time to consider these items, but it's incredibly helpful to know what you value most so we can prioritize accordingly. We'll use these insights for developing future changes to the program.

In closing my first Q&A with you, I'm reminded of what an exciting time it is to be at Hilton. My first job - many years ago! - was at a Hilton hotel. As such, I have a strong emotional attachment to this company and a passion to ensure Hilton HHonors continues to lead the industry. Even more importantly, I'd like to recognize our amazing Hilton HHonors team - the most talented, committed, and enthusiastic people in the business - and the 300,000+ Team Members who deliver exceptional experiences to you, our members, every day.

Warm regards, and I look forward to staying connected.

-Aaron
Print Wikipost

Hilton Honors VP Takes Your Questions

Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
My favorite parts about Hilton:
1. Ending the opt-outs for promotions. This is a HUGE step in the right direction.
2. Great breakfast benefit at HGI that completely blows Courtyard, the Marriott equivalent, of of the water.
3. None of that "resorts excluded" nonsense for key elite benefits, primarily breakfast.
4. Promotions tend to be straightforward and reward progress, rather than being "all or nothing"
5. There are various avenues to earn status (base points/spending, stays, or nights).

Also, I appreciate that Hilton is actively seeking feedback on the recent rollout of Digital checkin. It has some kinks to be worked out, but has a lot of potential. I also like the unique option to select your room via the app. I never do this myself, but it's nice to have the choice and no one else seems to offer this.

Suggestions:
1. Late checkout for elites (maybe a guaranteed time for Golds and a later guarantee for Diamonds)
2. Points incentive to opt out of housekeeping
3. Offer rollover so that there will be incentive to keep staying even after threshold is reached for a given status.
4. Fix the Hilton website.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
I find it very frustrating, that whenever I'm looking at hotel, hilton will take the highest rate, and apply it to all nights whenever I"m booking a multi-night reservation. This forces me to either book two separate reservations, or stay the 2nd half of my travel elsewhere.

Also, a guaranteed late checkout would be nice, and a points or breakfast option for members with status.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Differentiate more between Gold and Diamond benefits on property, it seems some hotels do not prioritise diamonds for upgrades or upgrade types. Perhaps a minimum 2 cat upgrade for diamonds ( if available)?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
One for the VP. The benefits, as per the rules and as applied by the various hotels, are often very similar for Golds and Diamonds. Is there any intention to apply a greater differentiation so that the most loyal customers are the best rewarded? You can guess I am a Diamond. ^ I often think it is hardly worth my while to put in the extra effort to "go the extra mile" to achieve Diamond status. I may be better off earning status in another chain.

On a similar note are there any thoughts about a further level above Diamond? I don't mean lifetime status.
Couldn't agree more, this has been a gripe for years of the HH VIP program. Also strongly echo the 4pm checkout, this is one glaring difference between HH and other competitors (SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, etc)
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
+1 on the 4 p.m. GUARANTEED checkout for diamonds. All the major chains now offer 4 p.m. to their highest tiers. I have no issue requesting a 4 p.m. checkout at a Hyatt as a diamond or 4 p.m. at SPG with no status through the Delta crossover program but have to fight for a 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. checkout at Hilton's a lot and have been told there would be a 1/2 day charge if I wanted a 4 p.m. checkout. Hilton no longer gets any of my Atlanta stays since I usually need a late checkout and Hyatt has gotten a few stays this year that would have gone to Hilton if I would have known I could have a 4 p.m. checkout.

I'd also like to see a hot breakfast offered at properties that don't have a lounge like Hyatt does for their diamonds.

I also have issues at a lot of properties with the free premium wifi. A lot of hotels charge me and I have to call down to the front desk to have the charge removed, I never have that issue at Hyatt.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:42 pm
cjd

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by chrism20
In response to my earlier post and almost everyone else's opinions about status matching.

A good place to start may be stopping things like this being possible as it just makes a mockery of things.
Unbelievable
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:43 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Many great, awesome thoughts here...I can't add much, but of everything mentioned, my big points...

But I do want to reiterate about upgrades. At least give us folks that spend 60+ nights a year a little credit. To be told, "We're sold out of suites" when 5 minutes before walking in the hotel I was on the app and could book 4 of them, is frankly, insulting. We generally know what we're doing, and many of us are "well educated" when we walk in the door.

Speaking of insulting...Resort fees for Diamonds. We're getting charged for things we are already supposed to receive free-of-charge!

Late checkout.

Breakfast consistency/improvements.

Improved internet.

Love the thought of a true "elite" check in line for Diamonds. Almost non-existent and would be a nice, relatively inexpensive benefit!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:57 pm

The good.
I have had wonderful experiences in the Conrad Singapore every time I am there. Its always fully booked when I tried to book there this year.
Hilton staff have always been good to me (Hoping this does not jinx it).

I wish:
Twitter support would be nice.
Hilton would count the additional rooms as qualifying nights/stays like SPG.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:37 pm

I don't know if I'm too late, but when will we get Hhonors credit cards outside the US? I get ads regularly, but there is no card in Canada!

Dr. PITUK
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:14 pm

I look at North American stays as points earners only. Little or no Diamond benefit. On the plus side, there are MANY opportunities for this here.

In Europe I still remember a stay in Munich. I went up to the Diamond Desk, presented my passport, Amex and Diamond card and addressed the woman in German (not my 1st language, but I can hold my own in a casual conversation!). She immediately answered in English. It took a few seconds for her to realize, but she apologized (no need) and said that almost all the Diamonds are American and don't speak German! The point is that it is tough to get status traveling in Europe (which I often do).

Is there any plan to expand in Europe?

In the US or Canada I don't bother with the lounges - total waste of time. In Asia I look forward to them. In Europe they are OK.

Is there any plan to improve these in NA?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
I look forward to the responses from the VP, I hope they are not marketing responses.

I would love to know what the strategy is to keep the rather extensive amount of diamonds that Hilton have matched? Surely it is not the aim to just get a short term upside down pyramid?

Thanks for being open to questions. I agree with the previous responses about things going well and the list of things that need changing.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by chrism20

A good place to start may be stopping things like this being possible as it just makes a mockery of things.
For the kind attention of Mr Aaron Glick

Mr Glick,

Welcome to your new position. I would be very pleased to learn how Mrs PtF and myself (with a combined 4,000+ nights stay / USD500,000+ spend at Hilton properties) are differentiated from someone who has stayed one night at a Best Western - both appearing to be valid routes to HHonors Diamond?

Forgive me for saying so - but this is (as we say in England) 'taking the piss'!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I would be very pleased to learn how Mrs PtF and myself (with a combined 4,000+ nights stay / USD500,000+ spend at Hilton properties) are differentiated from someone who has stayed one night at a Best Western - both appearing to be valid routes to HHonors Diamond?
Through OnQ, which shows those statistics.

Personally, if I'd not been getting good treatment from a hotel brand, I would have changed brands long before investing $500,000 of (my employer's) money. You've had 11 years to change your mind...
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
This is my personal take, obviously others will have their own views.

FWIW, I only travel for leisure these days. When I first joined HHonors, I drank the Kool-Aid, believed all of the printed material and promises. Over the years it became apparent that HHonors has limited control over franchise owners (or the willingness to exert too much pressure and lose a source of revenue).

Therefore, as a leisure traveler, I no longer obsess about quality of lounges or room upgrades; I'm a points collector. In the end, for me personally, it's all about how many free nights or cash & points nights I can achieve and lower my out of pocket spend. Consistent brand standards for a company that only outright owns less than 40 physical properties is akin to chasing waterfalls. I've traveled all over the world and very rarely incur onerous hotel bills. HHonors is still the most generous hotel loyalty program in my book...YMMV.

Last edited by fozziedoggie; Jul 22, 2016 at 10:31 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Many great, awesome thoughts here...I can't add much, but of everything mentioned, my big points...

But I do want to reiterate about upgrades. At least give us folks that spend 60+ nights a year a little credit. To be told, "We're sold out of suites" when 5 minutes before walking in the hotel I was on the app and could book 4 of them, is frankly, insulting. We generally know what we're doing, and many of us are "well educated" when we walk in the door.

Speaking of insulting...Resort fees for Diamonds. We're getting charged for things we are already supposed to receive free-of-charge!

Late checkout.

Breakfast consistency/improvements.

Improved internet.

Love the thought of a true "elite" check in line for Diamonds. Almost non-existent and would be a nice, relatively inexpensive benefit!
I concur with this list of needed improvements, along with two other points:

Allowing properties to sub-divide rooms so that everything is an upgrade / premium. This is annoying when receiving "upgrades" to rooms with no real difference in amenities, and especially when redeeming points and there are no standard redemption level rooms available.

Which brings me to my second point that the "premium" room that only costs $10 more per night in cash is 3X in points over the standard room, which is just absurd.

Bonus item: the few all-inclusive properties in Mexico and the Caribbean have started charging huge supplements for kids (e.g. $50 per kid per night) when redeeming points. This makes redemption for families at those properties worthless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.