Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Show up with no reservation, pay with points?

Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it was possible to walk-up to a hotel which has available rooms, and decide to pay for your room with points, or if I had to pay with actual money.

Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:48 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If there is award availability you can book online.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I don't think front desk/the hotel is able to deal with that. Most likely you will be referred to contact Hilton Honors to make the booking/payment, i.e. you need to book in advance.

If there is available rooms for reward stays, you should be able to make a last minute booking online or by calling Hilton Honors (not the hotel) to make a reservation.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I've been told in idle conversations with the front desk at various properties that they have no way of booking/extending a points stay (with points) at the property level -- points transactions have to be done online or via CRS.

I've also had no problem (assuming availability, of course) booking a points stay online same day.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I have done this within a couple of hours of checking in using the mobile app
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the days before everyone had a mobile device or a laptop always with them, I once parked at the hotel, walked across the street to a pay phone, called HHonors, and made the points reservation that way. Then I walked back across the street to the hotel, gave the reservation number to the hotel, and within moments they were able to see it and check me in. (Keep in mind that it was a few minutes between when I made the reservation at the phone booth across the street and when I got back to the hotel check-in. If you book on your mobile device while standing at check-in, they may not see it quite "immediately".)

If you have a mobile device, you can call or make an online reservation while in the lobby.

If you have a laptop, if they have open wifi for everyone, you can do it online from the lobby.

If you have neither (or neither will work for some reason), perhaps the hotel will let you use their business center to do it.

But:

1. The hotel has to have award availability, not just paid availability.

2. The hotel desk can't do it, you have it do it yourself. But as I just explained, as long there is award availability, you can do it from the lobby or the hotel's business center, which is about as close to "walk up" as you can get while still making the reservation yourself.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 26, 2016 at 9:12 am
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've made a few different points reservations from the property parking lot on either a mobile phone or tethered laptop/tablet and they've always been in the property's system by the time I walked in to the front desk.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Saw a girl try to do this at Hilton Gold Coast. When told that it was not possible to book with points at the front desk she lost her mind. "I have so and so many points, I'm gold, I can't believe you can't give me a room for them..."

It was quite humorous. FWIW I actually don't think there was award availability that night anyway because I had booked it with points some time before and when looking to slightly adjust our schedule I saw that the hotel no longer had availability for the standard rates so I just left things alone.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I was at LAX and as I picked up my rental car, I realized that I had never actually made my reservation at a nearby HGI.

Fortunately, the car had a wi-fi hotspot. I did the booking and then drove over to the hotel. No issues whatsoever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.