Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Negative points for a 4-night stay???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 10:18 am
Original Poster

I've recently stayed at a Hilton hotel, paid for a bed and breakfast rate, and when I checked my balance on hhonors, it showed negative points and something called expanded rewards upgrade... I have attached a screen shot.

My room wasn't upgraded, I got exactly what I had booked, and I paid in full at check-out. It wasn't an award stay.

Any idea why they TOOK points away for this stay?

Thanks for any ideas
Attached Images   

Last edited by schmusimausi73; Jul 10, 2016 at 9:37 am
Old May 22, 2016, 11:00 am
Original Poster

It's not an emergency. It's not very high on the priority list, either. I just thought that there might be a new rule to the point system that I had missed, and someone else had the same thing happen and would let me know. If I don't get any ideas from other FT posters, I will of course send an email - eventually.
So, now that you know why I posted here instead of calling immediately on a Sunday, you can tell me why you keep replying to a thread that you have absolutely nothing useful to add to?
Unless you honestly thought that I hadn't heard of the invention of the telephone.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Last edited by Baze; May 24, 2016 at 10:01 am
Old May 22, 2016, 11:46 am

Isn't this how it shows up when you select the upgrade with points option?
Tommyy233 likes this.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:56 pm

Yeah, that's looks like what it would say if you accepted an upgrade with points option.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by chrism20
Isn't this how it shows up when you select the upgrade with points option?
The OP appears to have earned no points on his paid stay. At the risk of being told to phone HH or look it up, does accepting/requesting an upgrade with points mean that the original paid stay then becomes a non-points earning stay? In other words is it treated the same as a P+P stay?
Old May 22, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Baze
Maybe you would have like it better if I had asked, What did Hilton say when you called them? Just don't understand why people come running to FT for answers to questions that can only be speculated about when a simple phone call (even on a Sunday) would answer the question probably very fast. I can see it if you had already called and the answer Hilton gave you didn't make sense and then you came here. People are very prone to not giving all the information in a post. I have made that statement before and they came back and said they did call and were coming to FT for further advice but they had left that part out of their first post. Don't like what I'm saying? Stop replying to me. No need to get snarky.
Using FT both pre and post calling is wise. CSRs are known for making things up to justify the errors that have been made (it's much easier than actually researching the problem and finding someone that can fix it). Maybe there are some magical words that someone else has found to get the CSR on board to what might need to be done to fix the problem. Yes, some posters do tend to leave out pertinent points and asking for more info may garner better insight to what has happened. Some things are more important to some than others so we get to choose how much effort we want to put into pushing an issue to resolution. FT'ers can't make things happen, but we can help those going through what we might have already gone through. Searching is not always easy to do, especially if you have an obscure issue. Working together we make things easier for everyone, even if it's merely commiserating over a mistake.

Now let's play nice.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
The OP appears to have earned no points on his paid stay. At the risk of being told to phone HH or look it up, does accepting/requesting an upgrade with points mean that the original paid stay then becomes a non-points earning stay? In other words is it treated the same as a P+P stay?
In the OPs post I can only see one image which I'm almost sure is an entry for an upgrade with points rather than a stay posting. Is there another image I can't see?

I've only done a points upgrade once and it was ages ago. I've had a quick look on my account and can't find the stay just now to double check. I've always found them to almost always be poor value compared to cash so have never really bothered with them.

IIRC when you request the upgrade with points it's guaranteed and the points are deducted almost immediately and it shows on your account in a manner similar to the OPs image.

After the stay it should post as normal and would show the brand and the actual hotel like what it normally does. The image I can see in the OP isn't of a stay posting its a redemption.
Old May 22, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by chrism20
In the OPs post I can only see one image which I'm almost sure is an entry for an upgrade with points rather than a stay posting. Is there another image I can't see?

I've only done a points upgrade once and it was ages ago. I've had a quick look on my account and can't find the stay just now to double check. I've always found them to almost always be poor value compared to cash so have never really bothered with them.

IIRC when you request the upgrade with points it's guaranteed and the points are deducted almost immediately and it shows on your account in a manner similar to the OPs image.

After the stay it should post as normal and would show the brand and the actual hotel like what it normally does. The image I can see in the OP isn't of a stay posting its a redemption.
I interpreted what the OP said as implying he did not earn any points. But he does not actually state that.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:55 am

OP, did you actually stay at a category 8 on that date or did/do you have a category 8 stay after that date that you upgraded? Maybe you are just missing a stay credit for around that date and this entry has nothing to do with the stay at that time.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Yes, as stated in my OP, I stayed for 4 nights at the hotel (cat 8), and paid the booked rate at check-out.
No, I didn't upgrade.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
By any chance, did you use online checkin?

If so, I wonder if the computer coded it as an upgrade (even though it wasn't). Could be a programming bug (or maybe even a "feature" designed to rip clients off).
Old May 29, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by schmusimausi73
Yes, as stated in my OP, I stayed for 4 nights at the hotel (cat 8), and paid the booked rate at check-out.
No, I didn't upgrade.
The e-upgrade is the only thing I can think of it being tbh and that does look like a redemption rather than a stay posting.

Have you had a chance to contact HH yet?
Old May 30, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Looks like an upgrade with points.

Are you sure the points for the stay didn't post separately?
Old May 31, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by schmusimausi73
No, I didn't upgrade.
Have you contacted HHonors yet? And what did they say?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.