Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Canopy by Hilton Reykjavik City Centre {ISL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canopy by Hilton Reykjavik City Centre {ISL}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
BTW: Is anyone having problems with the photos in the review?

I looked at it on iPhone and iPad, all is proper. I looked at it on a Sony Windows 7 laptop and most of the pics are displaying upside down.

Weirdness.

TDM
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:00 am

I'll have a more full review posted later. I am checking out today.

Overall a great property. HOWEVER, I would not recommend staying here yet. The hotel is not finished. This morning they were literally working on installing windows in rooms on my floor. Lots of construction both inside the hotel and on all 4 sides of the property (both on the street but also on the facade of the hotel itself).

Also, the staff is hit or miss. The agent that checked me in was one of the worst I have had. Did not even greet me. However, when I went back later (the first one got a lot of things wrong), I got a GREAT agent that helped with everything.

I think all of these things will be worked out in the long run -- give it 3-4 months. It is a WONDERFUL location and a beautiful hard product. Just wait until they finish construction and get the staff properly trained.

More review and photos coming soon....

Photo outside my room (my door is on the left). Lots of hammering/construction noise.

http://imgur.com/a/Id2cz
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I'm here now. Single_Flyer, where are you???

I agree with Single_Flyer. Don't stay here yet. I got an upgraded room as a diamond member... to the 3rd floor with a room directly over massive outdoor construction, complete with jackhammers. Ugh.

On the plus side they did let me check in at 10am.

Edit: 10 second video clip of the view from my upgraded room, plus audio.

Neil

Last edited by missamo80; Sep 13, 2016 at 9:04 am
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
I'm here now. Single_Flyer, where are you???

I agree with Single_Flyer. Don't stay here yet. I got an upgraded room as a diamond member... to the 3rd floor with a room directly over massive outdoor construction, complete with jackhammers. Ugh.

On the plus side they did let me check in at 10am.

Edit: 10 second video clip of the view from my upgraded room, plus audio. Canopy - YouTube

Neil
Sorry I just missed you! Here is a letter that I wrote to the hotel after I checked out today. Hopefully they will take some of my (not so expert) advice. I'd love to see this property succeed. Or else let Hyatt take it over

http://singleflyer.com/2016/09/13/im...opy-by-hilton/

By the way, one of the staff told me they receive their paychecks from Icelandair. Maybe Icelandair owns the property but Hilton manages it?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: DL Plat
Looks like a good option for KEF. I looked at dates for this Spring and the rates were pretty steep (59,400 kr or 28K points + 16,158 kr) per night.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
BTW: Is anyone having problems with the photos in the review?

I looked at it on iPhone and iPad, all is proper. I looked at it on a Sony Windows 7 laptop and most of the pics are displaying upside down.
I was wondering why they'd built the lobby upside down! In all seriousness, probably related to EXIF orientation tags.

It sounds like the construction should be wrapped up by the time I visit Reykjavik in December, but the hotel is pricing at 62,000 kr / night when the Nordica is less than half that... ouch.

ETA:
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
By the way, one of the staff told me they receive their paychecks from Icelandair. Maybe Icelandair owns the property but Hilton manages it?
This article confirms that both the Canopy and the Nordica are operated by Icelandair:
http://icelandnaturally.com/article/...ns-a-new-hotel
As with all Canopy by Hilton hotels, Canopy Reykjavik | City Centre will be inspired and influenced by its local surroundings. Occupying an entire block, the hotel will provide guests with an opportunity to explore the city on foot. The hotel will be operated by Icelandair Hotels, a subsidiary of Icelandair Group and a long term partner of Hilton Worldwide, having operated Hilton Reykjavik Nordica since it opened in 2007.
Edit again: Also confirmed in an Icelandair press release: http://www.icelandairgroup.is/invest...pens-new-hotel
The hotel is operated by Icelandair Hotels, which has been engaged in a successful partnership with Hilton International since October 2007; the company’s largest hotel, Hilton Reykjavik Nordica, is operated under a franchise agreement with Hilton International.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
will be here on Friday 9th for 4 nights, any tips and tricks for a HH diamond?

Cheers
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
I was there three weeks ago. As a Diamond I was given two bottles of water, chocolate and popcorn during check in. I booked a basic King room, I was given a premium corner room that was nice. Requested late checkout, granted until 2.00pm. Breakfast is good, cannot say for lunch/dinner as I was out. Overall nice property in excellent central location.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
Has the construction finished around the hotel?

Deciding between this, Nordica and 101 for a stay in early January.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Any recent stays here? We're staying two nights at the end of October, looking forward to it! Awesome location & it looks like a nice place. Do Diamonds still get upgraded pretty frequently here? Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I stayed there for two nights at the end of June in a Queen Premium Room with Sea View. It's a nice hotel in a convenient location but I'm not sure if the price can be justified. But then everything in Iceland is expensive. Breakfast was extensive and very nice. Unfortunately I didn't have the time for a leisurely breakfast on the first morning since I was leaving for a day trip to the Golden Circle. Early evening canapés and drinks in the café opposite the reception.

I was in Room 512 on the top floor. There are't many rooms with sea view as you will see on the floor plan below. Will try and post more photos later.

Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:41 pm

Are Gold members entitled to free breakfast at this property?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:28 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SoloExperiment
Are Gold members entitled to free breakfast at this property?
Yes. I get the feeling breakfast is included regardless of the status.

P.S. Confirmed on their website.
Canopy Breakfast
A signature, complimentary way to start your day. Every morning in Geiri Smart Restaurant, guests will enjoy an artisanal breakfast buffet featuring fresh, local ingredients. Or have a Break Fast Bag delivered to your room.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 14, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Any recent diamond experiences and/or experiences with early check-in? Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Yes. I get the feeling breakfast is included regardless of the status.

P.S. Confirmed on their website.

...and it's a REALLY good breakfast. Their onsite restaurant staff and food is squared away.

Upthread, I'd definitely pay 10k points for the Curio vs. the Hilton if it's a vacation vice a business trip.

Curio location is smack in the middle of the little cutesy part of town. Hilton, location has zero surroundings-flavor. The only thing the Hilton has going for it is the spa (with free hot tub massages!) and the lounge. It's nice enough, but a vanilla business Hilton. The Curio really wowed me, great experience property.

TDM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.