Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

5 consecutive individual reward nights available at 50k but not as one reward

Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

i am fairly new to Hiltons having had SPG Plat for many years.
I was considering trying to get a reward stay and using the "pay 4, get 5 nights" option. However, when i look at individual nights, I can see reward availability for 50k points per night but if i try to book 5 nights, the prices go up to 135k points per night.

I don't really want to name the hotel and give dates in this thread yet. I was hoping to get an idea of whether or not this is a quirk of the program, intentional funny business, or something else before I do.

another strange thing is that I can see points availability when not logged in to my hhonors account but the website won't show me availability when I don't have enough points for that property. this seems strange as I could buy the extra points to cover an award.

I would be ever so grateful for any insights into this situation.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:25 pm

Is it the exact same room-type available for all 5 nights? If not, this is probably the reason why the system can't price out a straight 5-day award but is able to show day-by-day availability.

I'm not sure if calling Hilton may help or not...probably worth a shot, though.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

ah, maybe that's the problem. it appears that the queen hilton is available but not the king. one problem i'm having though is that it won't show me the rate for 5 nights. i get the error message "The requested rate is not available. View other available rooms and rates below. Your selected rate is no longer available. Please re-select rooms/rates." So I can't look at the cost to book that room. I guess I could call them to confirm but I have an aversion to calling customer service for hotels and airlines.

Is it normal for the website to not display availability for reservations you don't have enough points for?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:07 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by BenSenise
another strange thing is that I can see points availability when not logged in to my hhonors account but the website won't show me availability when I don't have enough points for that property. this seems strange as I could buy the extra points to cover an award.
That often happens when you don't have enough points in your account. Sometimes it will state no availability. Other times it will state availability if you purchase the required no of points, usually at some ridiculous cost.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
ah, maybe that's the problem. it appears that the queen hilton is available but not the king. one problem i'm having though is that it won't show me the rate for 5 nights. i get the error message "The requested rate is not available. View other available rooms and rates below. Your selected rate is no longer available. Please re-select rooms/rates." So I can't look at the cost to book that room. I guess I could call them to confirm but I have an aversion to calling customer service for hotels and airlines.

Is it normal for the website to not display availability for reservations you don't have enough points for?
If you don't have enough points for the room you are searching for the website will often show no availability (other times it will show availability and tell you that you have to purchase points).
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...e-benefit.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ter-login.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...t-balance.html
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

thank you very much CodeAdam10, cjd, and jerry a. laska.
seems like i'm not the only one who has been puzzled by this problem. i must say that off the top of my head I cannot think of any other loyalty program that doesn't display an award cost when you don't have enough points/miles and I can't think of any reason not to.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:13 pm

i must say that off the top of my head I cannot think of any other loyalty program that doesn't display an award cost when you don't have enough points/miles and I can't think of any reason not to.
There's no reason not to show it.

But if you spend your time trying to understand Hilton's IT infrastructure, you will drive yourself mad. And I say that as someone who stays at Hiltons all the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.