Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got my 2017 Diamond Card!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
What exactly do people do with the card? It's not as though they ask for it at check in, or when accessing the Diamond lounge.

What's the point? I have enough useless so pieces of plastic in my wallet already.
I carry cards out of habit. I have a cigar box I keep all my important cards rubber banded in. When I'm about to take a trip, I grab the applicable cards and slide them into my travel portfolio.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by CMK10
So they DO exist! I qualified for Diamond December, 2014 and again last year and have never seen a card.
Yes they do. I have been Diamond for 14 years straight now and have always received a new card to cover the next year.

Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
What exactly do people do with the card? It's not as though they ask for it at check in, or when accessing the Diamond lounge.

What's the point? I have enough useless so pieces of plastic in my wallet already.
The ONLY thing I ever used mine for were for stays at the Las Vegas Hilton (now Las Vegas Hotel). The hotel had by far the best free buffet brunch at any hotel I stayed at. But in order to get it free you had to show your Diamond Card. Now that it is no longer a HH property, I know of no use for it other than for those that like to collect cards or can't remember their HH number.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
The ONLY thing I ever used mine for were for stays at the Las Vegas Hilton (now Las Vegas Hotel). The hotel had by far the best free buffet brunch at any hotel I stayed at. But in order to get it free you had to show your Diamond Card. Now that it is no longer a HH property, I know of no use for it other than for those that like to collect cards or can't remember their HH number.
Didn't even need it then...FD would print out Diamond verification for you. Card is/was totally useless.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
When I was Gold I would get a new card about every second or third year. As Diamond I have never received one. HH should either straighten this process out or give it up.

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
The ONLY thing I ever used mine for were for stays at the Las Vegas Hilton (now Las Vegas Hotel). The hotel had by far the best free buffet brunch at any hotel I stayed at.
When the LVH had that "Star Trek Experience" attraction, showing my card got my whole family in for half price. That's the only time I've ever pulled it out of my wallet for a purpose.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:27 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by Hippster
In a FedEx envelope? Odd they would spring for air delivery. When I get the physical cards they always have come in a regular standard mail envelope with maybe a deck of cards and some pretty pictures. I think I last got one a few years ago. I could care less... I use the one that updates dynamically on my iPhone in the Wallet app.

Yeah, that was my thought. "Hey! Someone spent $11 on sending me something... Oh. A plastic card."

Seems like that money (no matter how discounted they get FedEx rates) could have been spent on sending a little premium via slow boat. Not to be whiny, of course.

Upon consideration, this MAY be because a few months ago I had a stay credit snafu where I was showing incorrectly a couple stays short of Diamond in Nov, wrote HH to ask - even if I didn't stay any more for the rest of the year - am I in or not? They opened a case, established I was, indeed, good to go until 2017. Maybe this card was a follow up.

I have generally gotten plastic cards every year or two. Not always, but at least five times in my 9 years of Diamond level loyalty.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I didn't realise cards weren't issued automatically. I have only been Diamond for 2 years but have received a card both years and currently have a card running to 3/2017.. all seems very inconsistent! However as others have said, there's really no reason for the card at all...
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I didn't realise cards weren't issued automatically. I have only been Diamond for 2 years but have received a card both years and currently have a card running to 3/2017.. all seems very inconsistent! However as others have said, there's really no reason for the card at all...
I checked my card and it indicated that it was good thru 03/2014.

I called the Diamond desk and the agent told me that they "have gone virtual."

(I guess this is analogous to no more paper folios under the door. )

Anyway, cards are only issued if the member calls and requests.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Anyway, cards are only issued if the member calls and requests.
What happens when you lose (drop one or more levels of) status? Do they send you the lower card, or do they notify you in some other way, or does "virtual" simply mean you don't get to find out until the buggy website says something that's actually true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.