Tru by Hilton

Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Does this remind anyone else of dorm rooms? It's like marketing people focused on some millennial buzzwords and made it into a hotel. Does not seem sustainable. People who like communal working spaces, probably didn't have in mind plastic chairs and cheerios. Starbucks looks more inviting than this.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:14 pm

I am not a millenial. I do not find this brand appealing. I expect to continue giving most of my Hilton stays to Hampton and HGI properties.

For business trips, I definately do not think I will stay, unless the location happens to be ideal. The desk and closet are major items that I need and use.

I might use points to stay at a Tru for a personal stay if the delta between Tru and other Hilton brands in a particular city is compelling, since I don't have as much need for a desk then. But when I have the entire family with me, I am often looking for a LARGER room (or a suite) than what I have for a business stay. Since Tru rooms are smaller, I think I will just have to forego staying there. I don't like party lounges/lobbies anyway.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hampton is a midscale brand???
So doubletree and hgi are luxury then?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by azepine00
Hampton is a midscale brand???
So doubletree and hgi are luxury then?
Tru is Midscale
Hampton is Upper Midscale
Hilton Garden Inn/DoubleTree are Upscale
Hilton is Upper Upscale
Conrad/Waldorf are Luxury
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Tru is Midscale
Hampton is Upper Midscale
Hilton Garden Inn/DoubleTree are Upscale
Hilton is Upper Upscale
Conrad/Waldorf are Luxury
I know this sounds like a lot of granularity, but it makes a lot of sense when you consider just how much is available WELL below Hampton. Tru is going after the Laquintas and Microtels of the world.

Originally Posted by amanuensis
...closet are major items that I need and use...
I get your sentiment and agree with you on most of the other points, but is a closet door vs hanging space and luggage rack something you "need"?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
...so should we expect 25 bonus points vs. The 250 at Hampton?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
...so should we expect 25 bonus points vs. The 250 at Hampton?
I'd be more worried about cut-rate base-point earnings along the lines of the 5/$1 you see at Home2 Suites.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'd be more worried about cut-rate base-point earnings along the lines of the 5/$1 you see at Home2 Suites.
Primary reason I avoid Hampton down... The 250 at Hampton is a joke in itself since a lot of times Hamptons are more expensive than HGI or DT.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Primary reason I avoid Hampton down... The 250 at Hampton is a joke in itself since a lot of times Hamptons are more expensive than HGI or DT.
If the difference is less than +$4 for HGI/DT (about the value of the 750 points) then yes, you're better of based on the additional points... if Hampton is more than $4 less, the bonus point differential is a null point.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I find this kind of constant addition of "brands" to be ridiculous. I don't even know what the heck the difference between the 5 different "low end" Hilton brands are (or the 5 marriott ones, etc). Except for perhaps the ability to franchise more densely.. its silly.

It looks similar to Aloof. I mean Aloft.. I don't know if I qualify as a Millennial (I sure hope not) but when I'm traveling alone, I don't really want a desk or a crappy restaurant at the hotel.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:45 pm

This one probably makes more since than many of the other brands you mention because this isn't a market Hilton plays in at all (competing against Motel 6, Laquinta, Microtel, etc) outside of a handful of Hampton Inns that are probably WAY outside of the brand standard requirements and are only able to keep their franchise because of where they sit geographically. There's far more overlap in Hilton's existing brands than Tru might add.

Again, there's a similar design aesthetic to Aloft for sure, but Tru is playing in a completely different price market ($60-$80/night) and I doubt the qualities and amenities will be anywhere close to those of Aloft.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: HH D
After visiting some American cities I couldn't help notice some larger pretty over the top hotel/condominium towers trading under a brandname of Tru....something. Now what was it?!

How likely is it that the name Tru by Hilton will last?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
What do people think about the inroom changes. No desk, but multifunctional chair? Platform bed? No enclosed closet?
This is just a style update of what amounts to a low-end hotel. Without a desk and work area, I would avoid such a property for business travel. No closet is OK for overnighters but not a multi-day stay.

At least Hilton is correctly positioning it as a low-end hotel, unlike Marriott which is applying the same formula to their high-end brands (Marriott and Renaissance).
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:44 pm

I don't think this is aimed at points/miles collectors.

I don't think this is aimed at "traditional" (read: expense account) business travelers.

Millennials have been generally doing with less "stuff" than previous generations - used to smaller and more spartan spaces as they re-urbanize.

PRICE is going to be a big factor - press release said $90-100 but not enough specificity to really nail down comps. It did mention some cities but again, not enough detail. If it's $100/night in downtown Chicago in summer, they're gonna get takers.

People who read FT and chase miles/points and "aspirational" redemptions are who we personally surround ourselves with, but it's a big world out there and there is money to be made off of people not like us - people who buy on price and location and don't worry about status/points; they just put the money in their pocket. Look at WN/NK/Asian ULCCs, look at airbnb (how many listings are for single rooms? - Lots), look at the OTAs, etc.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I don't think this is aimed at points/miles collectors.

I don't think this is aimed at "traditional" (read: expense account) business travelers.

Millennials have been generally doing with less "stuff" than previous generations - used to smaller and more spartan spaces as they re-urbanize.

PRICE is going to be a big factor - press release said $90-100 but not enough specificity to really nail down comps. It did mention some cities but again, not enough detail. If it's $100/night in downtown Chicago in summer, they're gonna get takers.

People who read FT and chase miles/points and "aspirational" redemptions are who we personally surround ourselves with, but it's a big world out there and there is money to be made off of people not like us - people who buy on price and location and don't worry about status/points; they just put the money in their pocket. Look at WN/NK/Asian ULCCs, look at airbnb (how many listings are for single rooms? - Lots), look at the OTAs, etc.
Spot on. Would I stay at a place like this in Chicago/DC/NYC in the summer for significant savings over a full-service hotel? Absolutely. I don't need a marble-covered bathroom or overpriced room service very often. But I've stayed in places like Ibis Budget in London because otherwise I'd be dropping north of $200 on a hotel room that's being used for sleep and showers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.