Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Centennial Singapore {SGP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Centennial Singapore {SGP}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2000, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Arrow [ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Centennial Singapore {SGP}

I stayed at the Conrad in Singapore last week, paying a walk-in rate of roughly 300 Singapore dollars.

Upon check-in, I asked for a high-floor room and the check-in agent told me I need to pay 20 dollars more to get a high-floor room.

I then asked if I would have upgrade based on my Gold status. She said no, adding that I would get an upgrade if I pay 20 dollars more. I was staying there only for about 10 hours so I settled down with a room on the seventh floor.

This was the second stay with a Hilton for me. When I had the first stay I had in BKK, they upgraded me into an executive floor without asking. I paid a rather low rate of 75 dollars then.

I am wondering which is more common with the Hilton or the Conrad -- upgrading without asking or upgrading on condition that I pay more.

I have logged more than 25 stays with SPG and am selecting a second program for elite status. Last week's experience really has made me wonder if it is wise to move some business to the Hilton.

[This message has been edited by Chiangi (edited 06-10-2000).]
Old Jun 10, 2000, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Singapore staff at Conrad are quite ignorant on how HHonors works. You should have asked to speak to a manager, and maybe have brought your HHonors members guide with you.

I had a very bad experience at the Singapore Conrad about 3 years back and have since boycotted that property.
Old Jun 10, 2000, 9:39 pm

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
I do however agree with Celestar340 on this matter.

As always, I am armed with a printout of the HHonors benefit of GOLD. My previous stay 5 nites stay with Petaling Jaya Hilton too was not a pleasant one. I always do check to see if Exec floors are available or not on the Hilton website. It shows it is available but the front staff says sorry, upon availability. I say OK but I should be able to access the Exec lounge anytime I want. They were not sure and out goes a piece of paper showing if GOLD members are not upgraded, they are entitled but even with the proof, they still need to verify the benefits which took them 15 minutes. I also asked for a HHonors manager on duty, and they said what ????.
I should have stayed with Shangri-La as they do recognise their Elite members and I am on my 3rd year as their Elite member.
Old Jun 11, 2000, 4:15 am

Gold entitles you to upgrade free to the "best avalable room, excluding suites" at check in. I have always been upgraded, and have often been allocated a suite. Where there is an Executive Lounge or Club Room, I have always just wandered in with no problem.
Old Jun 11, 2000, 9:58 am

Programs: AA-2MM Lifetime Platinum
Does the gold upgrade to the executive level always apply when you are staying on a GLON award?
Old Jun 11, 2000, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I've been upgraded to the Executive Floor on an HHonors award. It was in Amsterdam during a slow week in late November/early December. Didn't have to ask. Had a very enjoyable time with all the perks.

I stayed at the Conrad Singapore when it had just opened and did not get upgraded though the hotel was virtually empty. It was on a special rate of S$125, and the room was better than most I've had at Hiltons in the U.S. when upgraded there. Not sure, other than access to the Executive Floor lounge, what other perks I missed out on by not having an upgrade. Had robe and slippers and turndown and water and every conceivable soap and lotion in the bathroom, including a rubber duck!
Old Jun 11, 2000, 5:17 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had the exact same experience of Shareholer at likely almost the same time. No upgrade, no nothin'- but I did like the hotel and the food and service very much! and the kids love the duck!

My only dissapointment was the lack of a jucuzzi on the premises! The Concierge, who I'd thought seemed familar to me had actually remembered me from when he was previously working at the Sheraton Towers!

Old Jun 14, 2000, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the comments.

About the day of this original post, I inquired by email about this upgrade policy both with HHonors and the Conrad in SIN but both have not yet responded and I don't know if they ever will. SPG responds very quickily. What a contrast.

I decided to stay at the Grande Hyatt over this weekend in SIN, cancelled my reservation with the Hilton.

I have decided to put lower priority on the Hilton this year, going to Hyatt's Gold Passport as a second program of my preference.
Old Jun 15, 2000, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I believe the Hyatt is up by Scotts Road, which is actually a more interesting part of the city than downtown at the convention centre where the Conrad is.

I just received a promo from Hyatt which offers fast-track Platinum if I make two stays by the end of the summer. It is in connection with my NW Worldperks account. You might want to mention this special promo to see if you can get fast tracked too, if that's what you're after. The offer is personalized so is not transferrable.

My experience with HHonors customer service is very good. Most problems are solved in a few days after my emails or faxed follow-ups.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 06-15-2000).]
Old Jun 15, 2000, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chiangi - beware that the rooms in the main tower of the building are called Grand Rooms and these too, do not let even Diamond members get upgraded to. (I'm talking about the Grand Hyatt Singapore).

The Hilton Singapore just got refurbished again (the empthteen times since the hotel was built in 1971) so it might be worth checking it out.

I'll hit HHonors Diamond by July 1st, and requalify for Hyatt Diamond by August 1st.
Old Jun 17, 2000, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Shareholder and Guy Betsy, thanks for the comments.

I did receive a computer-generated reply from HHnors, just acknowledging the receipt of a message from me, but I have not yet, as of today, got any further response. I hope they will reply.

For Hyatt, I decided to exercise one of my NW Platinum benefits, which was in the benefit guide I received. Hyatt will give me Diamond status if I log seven stays between June 1 and Aug. 31. I have also been elevated to Plat. without even staying once.

These promotions have codes but I am not sure if they are given to all NW Plat or just to Asia-Pacific members. NW gives some benefits limited to Asia-Pacific members.

I just stayed at the Grand Hyatt on Friday and I believe it was a room in whaty they call the Tower Wing, where they have delux rooms. I stayed in a delux room, which was fine. I also saw superior rooms in the other wing and they told me these rooms are mainly for sale to travel agents and they certainly were not nice. But I am sure they cost less, too.

It's good to know that they would not upgrade from those Garden superior rooms. Thanks, Guy Betsy.

I might give it a try to the Hilton, too, after I qualify Hyatt Diamond.
Old Jun 19, 2000, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chiangi - you better check up on your Gold Passport points after this. For Grand Hyatt Singapore does not award points on any sort of 'promotional' rates - even 10% off, they won't give you anything!

Did you try Mezzo9?
Old Jun 24, 2000, 12:30 am
Original Poster

I received a reply from a manager of the Conrad in SIN.

The manager says he regrets that they could not accommodte my request for a higher floor room and said ''the required corrective action has been taken with both our personnel and prcedures.'' --> not sure what this means.

He also says, ''I would advise that the young lady checking you in, did make an error in requesting a S$20.00 supplement, however, having spoken to the young lady concerned, she is now aware of her genuine mistake.''

--> A genuine mistake? Oh, well.

''I very much hope that this regrettable incident will not prevent you from returning to the Conrad International Centennial, when next you are in Singapore,'' he added.

With some comments made by others here and heard from my collegues, I really wonder if this Conrad will live up to what this manager says or doesn't say so explicitly -- assuring upgrade to Gold members (on room availability basis).

Given such carefully worded respose, I do not feel like returning there for the foreseeable future. I might try after I hit Diamond with the Hyatt, just to see if they live up to it.

I've already switched my allegience to the Hyatt, which already got my business on June 16, the first stay in Singapore after my unpleasant experience at the Conrad in early June. I've also made a reservation with the Hyatt for my next stay on June 30 in SIN.
Old Jun 24, 2000, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggest you write them another letter and tell them of your displeasure and what you are doing as stated here. Maybe they will be nicer to you and even get you a comp room.
Old Nov 13, 2000, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Conrad Singapore - thank you

Ive had my share of problems and complaints with Hilton lately. I confess Im still not fully convinced they should be my first choice for business travel, but I still have to post this since credit is due for my latest experience with them.

During my last stay at the Conrad Singapore, I goofed and left a digital camera in my room. I was in the office the next day and the phone rings, it was someone from the Conrad. They had found my camera. Needless to say, I was relieved to hear they had in custody. Where the Conrad did go the extra mile was with a special request I had.

I was due to travel again in 2 days, and needed to get hold of my camera. I was not scheduled to stop-over in SIN, only a short 2 hour layover at the lounge to catch a connecting flight to Europe. I emailed Hilton and explained the situation. Upon my request, the Conrad sent a person to Changi airport to deliver the camera. Thats customer service. Thank you Hilton.

------------------
Gaucho100K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.