Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] The Hilton Honors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite

Saw this link at the bottom of my online account (click upgrade for more under ways to earn) and did a search and cannot find any information posted on this card. It looks like something being offered to current card holders because I could not find it on their public website.
If this has been posted please delete the post.

Benefits of the Card:

-Up to 40,000 Hilton HHonors® bonus points with first purchase (1) — enough for up to five free nights (2)
-Up to 20,000 HHonors bonus points with first eight Hilton Family stays charged to the Card during your first 18 months of Cardmembership (3)
-HHonors Gold VIP status complimentary with your first year; to maintain thereafter, total eligible spend must reach $20,000 annually (4)
-HHonors Diamond VIP status when your total eligible spend reaches $40,000 annually (5)
-$75/year annual fee
-9 HHonors bonus points for every eligible dollar spent at participating Hilton Family hotels (6)
-6 HHonors bonus points for every eligible dollar spent at gas stations, drugstores, and more (7)
-3 HHonors bonus points for virtually every dollar spent elsewhere
-500 HHonors bonus points when you book online at any Hilton Family Hotel Website using your Card (8)

Terms and Conditions.......
1) To earn up to 40,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points, you must make your first eligible purchase with the Hilton HHonors Card within one year of Card issuance. Only one first-purchase bonus per Card account. Only first-time Hilton HHonors Cardmembers will earn up to 40,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points. Cardmembers who have previously earned a first-purchase bonus from any Hilton HHonors Card from American Express earn the incremental difference of up to 40,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points.

(2) Hilton HHonors bonus points required for a free night range between 7,500 HHonors bonus points for an Opportunity Category hotel and 40,000 HHonors bonus points for a Category 6 hotel. 10,000 HHonors bonus points are enough for a free reward night at an Opportunity Category or a Category 1 hotel. For information on reward stays, visit hiltonhhonors.com/hhonorsrewards.

(3) In your first 18 months of Cardmembership, earn 2,500 HHonors bonus points for each of your first eight stays at Hilton Family hotels when you charge $100 or more to your Hilton HHonors Surpass Card for each of those eight stays.

(4) If in any calendar year of Cardmembership your total eligible spend reaches $20,000, you will be upgraded to Hilton HHonors Gold VIP tier status for a one-year period. Allow 10–12 weeks for VIP status to be upgraded.

(5) If in any calendar year of Cardmembership your total eligible spend reaches $40,000, you will be upgraded to Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP tier status for a one-year period. Allow 10–12 weeks for VIP status to be upgraded.

(6) You will receive 9 Hilton HHonors bonus points for each U.S. dollar of eligible spending on the Card at any Hilton Family hotel worldwide (excluding Hilton Grand Vacations timeshare purchases and package sales). To receive the appropriate bonus points, the merchants must submit the charge using the appropriate industry code, merchant code, or products/service code established by us. If the merchant submits a Charge using a different code, the applicable Charge will only receive the bonus points corresponding to that code. Merchants with multiple locations may submit Charges at different locations using different codes. This means that Charges at some locations will qualify for additional bonus points, but Charges at other locations of the same merchant will not. Eligible Spending includes purchases of goods or services, which purchases have not been returned or otherwise rescinded and are not subject to a credit. You will not receive Hilton HHonors bonus points for balances transferred from other accounts, purchases of American Express® Travelers Cheques or American Express® Gift Cheques, fees, Finance Charges, or Cash Advances and similar means of assessing your Card Account. Additional terms and conditions apply.

(7) You will receive 6 Hilton HHonors bonus points for each U.S. dollar of eligible spending at the following categories of merchants, excluding warehouse clubs and superstores: supermarkets; drug stores; stand-alone gas stations; and home telephone, wireless, cable, satellite TV, and internet service providers. To receive the appropriate bonus points, the merchants must submit the charge using the appropriate industry code, merchant code, or products/service code established by us. If the merchant submits a Charge using a different code, the applicable Charge will only receive the bonus points corresponding to that code. Merchants with multiple locations may submit Charges at different locations using different codes. This means that Charges at some locations will qualify for additional bonus points, but Charges at other locations of the same merchant will not. Eligible Spending includes purchases of goods or services, which purchases have not been returned or otherwise rescinded and are not subject to a credit. You will not receive Hilton HHonors bonus points for balances transferred from other accounts, purchases of American Express® Travelers Cheques or American Express® Gift Cheques, fees, Finance Charges, or Cash Advances and similar means of assessing your Card Account. Additional terms and conditions apply.

(8) You will receive 500 Hilton HHonors bonus points for each qualifying stay at a participating Hilton Family hotel when the stay is booked online at any Hilton Family hotel website and paid for with the Card.

Last edited by ktremor; Mar 20, 2009 at 10:40 am
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by ktremor
-HHonors Diamond VIP status when your total eligible spend reaches $40,000 annually (5)
The shark has officially been jumped.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Big Changes today

not happy,
sdcarver

Last edited by sdcarver; Feb 3, 2009 at 9:03 am
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:56 am

And still nothing for the restaurant at $75 a pop!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:58 am

from looking at the AMEX website I do not see the references to minimum spending to achieve either gold or diamond which make me think they will have two levels if the Hilton AMEX.

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...Hilton-HHonors

sdcarver
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:00 am

Not even a "1st yr free fee" to this promo!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, UA 2P, US Dirt (Yay!)
I don't travel much nowadays so the 9 bonus points for hotels doesn't matter much to me. It looks like that and the $40k for Diamond threshhold are the only differences compared to the regular card. For $75/year it isnt' worth it for me.

Hate the change in the AXON reward for Cat5 vs 6...
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: hilton-Diamond, ba, Cunard-Platinum
If I read it correctly, the AXON awards are broken up in 2 categories. Level 5 and level 6 hotels. For 120K, as before, you get 4 nights at a cat. 5 hotel. But it now takes 140k to get 4 nights in a cat. 6 hotel.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(3) In your first 18 months of Cardmembership, earn 2,500 HHonors bonus points for each of your first eight stays at Hilton Family hotels when you charge $100 or more to your Hilton HHonors Surpass Card for each of those eight stays.
On the 62,500 offer there is definitely no $100 requirement for the 2500 bonus (though it only applies for the first 4, not first 8, stays), as I earned it on one-night Hampton stays that were $90ish all-in at most.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sdsearch
On the 62,500 offer there is definitely no $100 requirement for the 2500 bonus (though it only applies for the first 4, not first 8, stays), as I earned it on one-night Hampton stays that were $90ish all-in at most.
I even earned the points on reward stays where I used my Hhonors Amex as the credit card on file and did not spend anything else at the hotel.

There have been a couple of people that have asked me to post the link to this card. I tried to initally post it in my original post by taking out my account info, but the website the link takes me to is a secure upgrade application.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Ouch. Everybody iin the US and his dog will be diamond now... It used not to matter apparently at US properties, but I fear it will be the end of Diamond recognition elsewhere.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Richelieu
Ouch. Everybody iin the US and his dog will be diamond now... It used not to matter apparently at US properties, but I fear it will be the end of Diamond recognition elsewhere.
In this economic climate I doubt we'll see massive additions to the Diamond rolls. A lot of business spending is getting cut back.

Also, other than the up-front bonuses, I'm not sure the annual fee is worth it unless you know you can run up $40K and want Diamond (and don't think you can get it the old fashioned way). Getting 6/$1 and requiring $20K for Gold, and that being a free credit card looks to be the better bargain.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
In this economic climate I doubt we'll see massive additions to the Diamond rolls. A lot of business spending is getting cut back.

Also, other than the up-front bonuses, I'm not sure the annual fee is worth it unless you know you can run up $40K and want Diamond (and don't think you can get it the old fashioned way). Getting 6/$1 and requiring $20K for Gold, and that being a free credit card looks to be the better bargain.
In this link I did not see any reference for the 20,000 spending to get Gold Status at Hilton

So does that mean you may only qualify for Gold on spending with the Surpass Card?

sdcarver
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by sdcarver
In this link I did not see any reference for the 20,000 spending to get Gold Status at Hilton

Did you scroll down the page? It's definitely there that you get Gold with the $20k spend. There's a section labeled "Explore the full range of benefits below" and then it is listed under the "Rewards" tab.

This page even lists and shows a pic of the Hilton HH Surpas Card under the hotel rewards cards but it offers not details.

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ap...&showHtml=true

I know there have been treads in the past comparing diamond to gold and I thought the overall consensus was that it really wasn't a big difference unless you travel frequently outside of the US.

Last edited by christianj; Feb 3, 2009 at 11:07 am
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
1) To earn up to 40,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points, you must make your first eligible purchase with the Hilton HHonors Card within one year of Card issuance. Only one first-purchase bonus per Card account. Only first-time Hilton HHonors Cardmembers will earn up to 40,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points. Cardmembers who have previously earned a first-purchase bonus from any Hilton HHonors Card from American Express earn the incremental difference of up to 40,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points.
Just called the Hilton Amex line and the CSR couldn't fine any info beyond apparently the same page that christianj found, where the additional info about the Surpass card is limited to some limited info about getting another person to use your card. She said she'd actually call back if she learns more info--I'll post if I learn more.

If I understand the above quote correctly, it looks like (assuming Amex actually makes this card available under these terms) if I earned 10,000 points for my original sign-up for my HH Amex card I can still earn 30,000 bonus points at the cost of $75 for upgrading the card. Does that sound righ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.