Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Cambridge City Centre {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Cambridge City Centre {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond
Arrow Hilton Cambridge City Centre {GBR}

Interesting news!.......Hilton are to take over the former Cambridge City hotel in the centre of Cambridge.......I stayed here once when it was a crowne plaza and liked it........it's not on the hilton inventory yet but link can be found in the " joining/leaving thread "........ It's about an hour drive for me and will try this out......Cambridge is a great place to visit too!
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Last edited by wizla; Oct 9, 2015 at 5:16 am Reason: Capital letter amendment
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Originally Posted by wizla
Interesting news!.......Hilton are to take over the former Cambridge City hotel in the centre of Cambridge.......I stayed here once when it was a crowne plaza and liked it........it's not on the hilton inventory yet but link can be found in the " joining/leaving thread "........ It's about an hour drive for me and will try this out......Cambridge is a great place to visit too!
Excellent news! I think that the hotel was originally built around 1987. I was working at the university during that period. It's actually pretty close to the Doubletree, but it will provide an interesting alternative.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It will be great to have a Hilton alternative to the DoubleTree!

Slightly better location for many as well: 20 Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3DT, England

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 9, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Slightly better location for many as well: 20 Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3DT, England
Seven minutes walking distance between the DT and the new Hilton...

In 2012, I used both the DT and the Crowne Plaza for an event. The opinion of the guests was that the DT was the far better hotel than the Crowne Plaza. Of course, it remains to be seen how the new hotel will be run as a Hilton.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by fb175091
The opinion of the guests was that the DT was the far better hotel than the Crowne Plaza. Of course, it remains to be seen how the new hotel will be run as a Hilton.
Could be a good thing though - the DT can be rather pricey so this could be a cheaper alternative for those on a tighter budget
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I last stayed there, I think ten years ago - although it doesn't seem quite that long.

Back then it was looking very dated but has now had a major refurbishment from the looks of the website, so it may be a very promising property.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

I went to Cambridge today to do some shopping and meet a mate for coffee and Cinnabon ( Cinnabon is rare in the UK ), I had a look around the soon to be " hilton Cambridge "..... Staff seemed friendly , hotel was spotless and had a nice vibe to it, fairly big car park....changes to a hilton in January.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:37 am
Original Poster

.......forgot to add, hotel will have an exec lounge too , according to the the concierge.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: HH D
Praise for the field research. I had doubts they would make it December, but January sounds credible.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Ok, according to hilton website this hotel officially becomes a Hilton on the 15th December, which is tomorrow.......I'm in Cambridge today XMAS shopping, will have a look and update thread
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Not a lot to report really, new signage is up but covered by black tape until tomorrow , they are also painting everywhere in lobby.......had a coffee , was nice.......also had a brief chat with concierge, friendly guy.....he said the suites and exec lounge won't be available until mid January until they have been refurbished too........nothing else to say except the traffic is a nightmare in this area.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Having tumbled from HH Diamond to Blue due a complete change of travel pattern I was wondering how I'd enjoy taking the family to stay here for a night knowing that free breakfast, allegedly better wifi, etc were eluding me .

Rooms were expensive at shortish (4 weeks?) notice, but so was everything else half-decent looking in town so I went for this as the location looked good and it helps keep the HH account alive (yes, I now stay in Hiltons that infrequently!).

Turns out it was a great location. Very easy walk into the main streets, markets and shopping centres for retail therapy. Handy for various academic and historical buildings, etc. Having said that, Cambridge is a pretty small place so maybe almost anywhere else is just as good .

A few minor annoyances with the property such as inexplicable used Nespresso capsule leaking in bathroom basin, slow to missing table service in bar area (ended up going to bar for Sunday post-lunch drink) and having to reverse out an 'upgrade' to KNG deluxe (+ unfolded sofa bed) back to originally booked 2xDBL for separately sleeping occupants. Bar wine choices continue to be unispiring or particularly enjoyable - but I was expecting that!

Enthusiastic staff overall (even at the bar - they just didn't want to travel ). Valet parking (no self-parking available) handled well. The £22 charge took a moment to get past - I'd perhaps have sought out a different approach if on my own overnight but for a full day and with family it's just one of those costs of making the weekend work easily for all. The £5 top-up to extend the parking day from 2pm to 5pm was useful since queues out / in to repark would have been frustrating.

Breakfast voucher system worked well. Good value for a real Sunday morning feast . Large dining room meant no wait even though we arrived at classically busy time. Chef cooking eggs quickly and efficiently for table delivery. Carluccio's is just next door as a good alternative.

Rooms very nicely furnished IMHO. All new, clean and tidy with decent layout and use of space. Building is an odd pentangular sort of shape, which created a quirky but nice annex / niche in our junior suite for the sofa, 2nd TV, etc.

Corridors have that slightly unfortunate 'underlit narrow corridor in a building' décor which I think underplays the overall quality of the property, but hard to fix maybe. Floors a bit sprawling, so if you don't like a long trek from room to lift it may be worth mentioning this at checkin.

Overall a great stay that made the whole trip to see a friend in the city work very well ^^^.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Thanks for the review.

Just a point of reference regarding the parking as someone who's from that area originally - parking in Cambridge city-centre on the weekend is hugely expensive for long periods so that charge isn't necessarily 'their fault', if that makes any sense?! Much like the pricey parking at the Cardiff Hilton. Though I suppose you could say that they could subsidise it...

There is park-and-ride but that's expensive when staying for long periods - £20 for 48hours, so it's just not a very car-friendly city.

Oh and yes there's often traffic jams outside the hotel as people queue to get into the Grand Arcade car-park (previously Lion Yard).
Old May 5, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Fair point on the parking, and it was when I realised that I would want the whole day that it became a reasonable charge.

Hilton Bath have a bit of a wrinkle where they charge you a daily rate for overnight stay, but its about half that price if you just pay at the machine for an evening to morning stay.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Yes, thanks for the review......it helps a lot......I endeavour to stay here at some point as I love Cambridge and live fairly local.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.