Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Credit Card Security September 2015: Point of Sale Hilton Data Breach

Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold

Multiple banks have asked to cancel existing credit card and get a new one free of charge due to the fact that I've recently paid with a card to Hilton family hotel. No agent knew details. Year 2014 we had this. It is either unlikely slow follow-up from VISA and Mastercard in EU or something new.

Anyone else? Any details or happenings recently?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I've used my Hilton Amex at Hiltons with no such effect.

Nor has that number been stolen (at least, not and run into attempted bogus usage).
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
No fraudulent transactions on any of my cards
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It wasn't the credit cards there were hacked; it was the Hilton HHonors accounts. Hacking a Hilton HHonors accounts let someone use the credit card on file to pay for their own stay, but it didn't gain them access to the credit card on file beyond that.

So there's no need for banks to replace the card, since the card itself was not hacked or stolen, just in some cases used without permission. If yours wasn't used without permission, and your account wasn't hacked, you aren't due anything (except a CAPTCHA maybe*) from either the card issuer or Hilton HHonors.

* The CAPTCHA, followed by the elimination of the 4-digit PIN as a way to log in, was Hilton's response to those hacks.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by dabee69
Multiple banks have asked to cancel existing credit card and get a new one free of charge due to the fact that I've recently paid with a card to Hilton family hotel. No agent knew details. Year 2014 we had this. It is either unlikely slow follow-up from VISA and Mastercard in EU or something new.

Sounds like marketing by the credit card companies, possibly due to the Oct 1 changes involving chip card readers.

Bob H
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Cards had chips. It seems only VISA and MasterCard are worried here. No questions from Amex.

When Adobe CC info was stolen, Amex was the first to replace my card.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Cards had chips. It seems only VISA and MasterCard are worried here. No questions from Amex.

When Adobe CC info was stolen, Amex was the first to replace my card.
It is NOT Visa and MasterCard responsible for replacing your cards - that is a decision taken solely by the card issuer (a credit union or bank). Unlike AMEX, Visa and MasterCard are not the creditors nor issuers of your credit.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
This has nothing to do with Hilton, but I got an e-mail a few days ago that I was getting a new Mastercard card from one of my two card providers and they cited the new chip technology on the card. They gave me a new card out of the blue with a new number about 18 months ago citing security as well so not sure. My current cards don't have chips so I am not thrilled about getting one with the whole RFID stealing issue. I have a VISA from a money center bank which has not had any such changes.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miesque
My current cards don't have chips so I am not thrilled about getting one with the whole RFID stealing issue.
Huh? These cards don't necessarily come with RFID. You're confusing EMV (the visible chip) with Contactless. They may or may not come on the same card, depending on the bank (and/or the specific card). I certainly have many EMV chip cards without Contactless (NFC). And without Contactless, how can you have an RFID issue? EMV chips depend on hard physical contact, that's why they're visible on the front of the card, because it has to make physical contact with the reader.

In any case, if you are concerned about RFID, there are RFID-blocking wallets out there.

But as you said, this is the wrong thread. The thread for contactless is:
The thread for EMV chip cards is:
(Both are in the Credit Cards forum.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 23, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Huh? These cards don't necessarily come with RFID. You're confusing EMV (the visible chip) with Contactless. They may or may not come on the same card, depending on the bank (and/or the specific card). I certainly have many EMV chip cards without Contactless (NFC). And without Contactless, how can you have an RFID issue? EMV chips depend on hard physical contact, that's why they're visible on the front of the card, because it has to make physical contact with the reader.

In any case, if you are concerned about RFID, there are RFID-blocking wallets out there.

But as you said, this is the wrong thread. The thread for contactless is:
The thread for EMV chip cards is:
(Both are in the Credit Cards forum.)
Thanks, I was just assuming they were the same thing. Shows how much attention I spend to the mechanics of a credit card.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat

A new one free of charge? I never heard of a charge for re-issuing a credit card.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Point of Sale Hilton Data Breach

It appears sales from both the Hilton lobby sundry shops and hotel restaurants are suspected in a large data breach.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/09/...el-properties/
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Another day another breach. Until there is real accountability at the board and CEO level, these will continue.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Posting for everyone's interest here, one time on the HH forum. In the last 24 hours Two of my banks have gotten in touch with me to inform me that my cards are blocked and they are sending me new ones due to the data breach and that this goes back as far as January, and effects many Hiltons outside of the United States as well, and not just sundries as at one hotel there were none, furthermore I should mention that one is a chip card. I think that by Monday or Tuesday this is going to be a major story/issue.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by hfly
Posting for everyone's interest here, one time on the HH forum. In the last 24 hours Two of my banks have gotten in touch with me to inform me that my cards are blocked and they are sending me new ones due to the data breach and that this goes back as far as January, and effects many Hiltons outside of the United States as well, and not just sundries as at one hotel there were none, furthermore I should mention that one is a chip card. I think that by Monday or Tuesday this is going to be a major story/issue.
Have you noticed anything awry on any of your statements?

Bob H

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.