Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Devaluing Gold - 2 Airline offers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN LT , Hilton

In the last few wks , both Turkish & now Eithad members can sign up for Gold Hilton without any minimum stays.
TK is fast growing with many airline members switching due to easier qualifying levels
As a loyal HH member since 2006 & now looking like I will just about cover Gold for next year dropping from Diamond it appears that Gold is being devalued.
On this basis HH should consider a higher level of Gold for members like us that spend our money on a regular basis & meet the yearly requirement.
Gold status will soon be overloaded so expect less upgrades etc if there is no extra level introduce where we will be recognize.
Thoughts anyone on starting a petition to Erin to propose this to management.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by europeanflyer
In the last few wks , both Turkish & now Eithad members can sign up for Gold Hilton without any minimum stays.
TK is fast growing with many airline members switching due to easier qualifying levels
As a loyal HH member since 2006 & now looking like I will just about cover Gold for next year dropping from Diamond it appears that Gold is being devalued.
On this basis HH should consider a higher level of Gold for members like us that spend our money on a regular basis & meet the yearly requirement.
Gold status will soon be overloaded so expect less upgrades etc if there is no extra level introduce where we will be recognize.
Thoughts anyone on starting a petition to Erin to propose this to management.
I'm guessing you'd want the hurdle for new uber-Gold to be a whisker below your own score
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
It's not free Gold, you have to complete 3 stays by end of October.

Alitalia had the same offer as well. It could be used to renew Gold for next year.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Shhh you're gonna rile up the apostrophe brothers.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Hilton MVP that gets you Gold based on 4 stays has been around for forever...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:05 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
It's not free Gold, you have to complete 3 stays by end of October.

Alitalia had the same offer as well. It could be used to renew Gold for next year.
Also Flying Blue (KLM/Air France).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:26 am

I'm more shocked that you think Gold is supposed to be special in any way. Don't worry, you'll get used to the reality soon enough...
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'm guessing you'd want the hurdle for new uber-Gold to be a whisker below your own score
Let's think about what he might be saying by the end of the year, depending on his stays for the year:

If he somehow makes it back up to Diamond: I don't care what happens to Golds
If he manages to maintain Gold: I want Gold to be strictly qualifying criteria only, no exceptions
If he manages to just miss out on Gold: I want Gold to be strictly qualifying criteria only, but of course they should be willing to make exceptions for people who almost made it
If he is far from maintaining Gold: I think the airline promos are great, and they should be more widely available.

Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Gold has long been attainable with credit cards, other fast track offers, etc. However, it is rarely if ever possible to maintain Gold from fast track offers. I have been denied Diamond challenges because once I did a Gold fast track.

Letting people taste status is a perfectly valid way to drum up new business. Maybe most don't stick around, but a few will.

Too many people chasing upgrades? What upgrades? As a Diamond I'm rather bored of being upgraded into "executive" rooms that are the exact same size as normal rooms, but come with executive lounge access that I'm already due. Maybe it's better to be Gold and then be happy with the occasional upgrade to an executive room.

HHonors status is free breakfast and not much more. A poor return for 40 or 60 nights a year...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Gold has long been attainable with credit cards, other fast track offers, etc. [...]

HHonors status is free breakfast and not much more. A poor return for 40 or 60 nights a year...
But a good return for a CC Gold. I have to admit, I do have the German CC for around 50€s/year just for the purpose of free breakfast

Hard enough to maintain Club Carlson and Marriott using the regular way...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
As HHD I predominantly get exactly the same upgrades as I did as an HHG only a few years ago, mostly upgrades under both to Deluxe rooms where hotels are smaller and have no lounge , and to exec where larger hotel with a lounge

Typically Deluxe rooms are as Guest but include robe&slippers, exec is same as deluxe but includes Lounge. Sometimes higher types are a few metres bigger but not that much

Only hotels consistently giving me more are
a)Hilton Antwerp who gave me more as a regular staying HHG guest anyway eg J-Suite AND my first HHD stay I got the top Royal Sinjoor Duplex Suite although hotel checkin paperwork had me down as lowly HHG STILL
b)Hilton den Haag who give HHGs Execs and HHDs Junior Suite
c)Hilton Wembley who give me full suites 8/10 stays
d)Hilton Rotterdam consistently give HHD j-Suite or Full suite
e)Hilton Amsterdam try to give HHDs a J-Suite

I just see HHD as having two benefits OVER HHD
I)guaranteed lounge
II)50% bonus plus 1K Myway bonus

I don't expect better than exec

Last edited by scubaccr; Aug 4, 2015 at 8:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.