Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Amex co brand on-line booking bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Question: I was receiving the AMEX CO BRAND ON-LINE BOOKING BONUS on my Hilton branded stays for awhile and I just noticed that I have not been receiving this bonus for some time. I don't book using the Hilton Web Site for reservations but I use my company's on-line American Express Travel Tool which I'm sure is 100% electronic and I use my work Amex card. Thoughts? I contacted HH Diamond Desk and they are researching.

Last edited by eRRRRRFDS105633; Jul 5, 2015 at 5:39 pm Reason: error
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I haven't been having any problems receiving the bonus.

In theory, you are only supposed to receive the booking bonus if using the HH Amex. In reality, you usually receive the bonus if you use any Amex. Others seem to have problems when they change their booking and when booking through other sites.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...00-points.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ints-gone.html
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:52 am

I always use my HH AMEX and book thru the Hilton website. I get my 500 mile booking bonus @ 50% of the time. I go thru my stays every couple of months and call Hilton to get the others credited. They do it on the spot and I see it within the day. They say it may have something to do with being upgraded but they really don't know. FYI . My stays are US and international. Same problems on both.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks. I have the Diamond Desk logging the inquiry.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
eRRRRRFDS105633,

How long did it take / How'd the outcome of the DDesk looking into the missing points go?

I noticed my last five or so stays (all booked online and paid for with same Hilton Amex) are missing the 500 point booking bonus.

I called Diamond desk, they're looking into it as of a few days ago.

TDM
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have the bonus missing every once in a while. A simple Email usually fixes it.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:16 pm
Original Member

This is a Hilton glitch. If anyone at the hotel changes the reservation you made in any way, for example a room upgrade, the AMEX bonus does not post.The diamond desk told me that they all are aware of this but can't do anything more than to add the bonus to the account when I call in.
This happens to me so frequently that I just wait till I accumulate 4-5 stays and call the Diamond desk to have the points added to my account. No problem. I don't mind since the usual reason I don't receive the bonus is because I have been upgraded to a suite.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

I think it took a couple weeks to have the points added after the inquiry was submitted. The problem is that the points only post IF you book with Amex from the Hilton website. I use Amex Travel which is not linked. So, point bonus can only be manually added with an inquiry.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Talking

Originally Posted by general45
This is a Hilton glitch. If anyone at the hotel changes the reservation you made in any way, for example a room upgrade, the AMEX bonus does not post.The diamond desk told me that they all are aware of this but can't do anything more than to add the bonus to the account when I call in.
This happens to me so frequently that I just wait till I accumulate 4-5 stays and call the Diamond desk to have the points added to my account. No problem. I don't mind since the usual reason I don't receive the bonus is because I have been upgraded to a suite.
This is a myth. I have many upgrades at the hotel and the bonus posts. You must just have bad luck!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by chix
This is a myth. I have many upgrades at the hotel and the bonus posts. You must just have bad luck!
You are absolutely wrong. Numerous frequent HH guests have this problem, and the upgrade issue has been verified by senior HH staff. There are numerous ways to modify reservations, and your own experience is certainly not reflective of the broader HH customer base.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by general45
Originally Posted by chix
Originally Posted by smmrfld
You are absolutely wrong. Numerous frequent HH guests have this problem, and the upgrade issue has been verified by senior HH staff. There are numerous ways to modify reservations, and your own experience is certainly not reflective of the broader HH customer base.
If general45's statement above had qualified "any" or qualified "does not" (for example, "one of many" instead of "any" and "often does not" instead of "does not"), it could not be disproven by a single person's experience.

But it is certainly not as absolute as general45 wrote it up, and it certainly not totally a myth as chix claims. It is somewhere in between, and I leave it as user exercise to figure out where exactly in between it is.

Meanwhile, it can be a fallacy to assume something is common because a complaints discussion is littered with reports of it. People who don't have the problem tend not to report (in such discussions) as often as people who do have the problem, so it can be tricky figuring out how common a problem is only from a discussion complaining about that problem.

So you can certainly say that it has been reported commonly, but I don't think you can extrapolate from just that that most everyone is affected by it most of the time.

Now, if the same person goes between having status and not having status (but since status is so easy to get at HHonors, who does?) and can report that while not having status (and thus not getting upgrades) they get the bonus every time, and the same person changing nothing about their stay patterns or booking patterns gets the problem only when they have status and get upgrades, those would be better data points. But I would think most people are more interested in getting status than getting this Amex co-brand bonus, and thus how many people spend enough time both with upgrade-qualifying status and without it to have datapoint both ways for the same person?

But even such a single-person experiment would only prove the tendency, not prove how absolute it is.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
If general45's statement above had qualified "any" or qualified "does not" (for example, "one of many" instead of "any" and "often does not" instead of "does not"), it could not be disproven by a single person's experience.

But it is certainly not as absolute as general45 wrote it up, and it certainly not totally a myth as chix claims. It is somewhere in between, and I leave it as user exercise to figure out where exactly in between it is.

Meanwhile, it can be a fallacy to assume something is common because a complaints discussion is littered with reports of it. People who don't have the problem tend not to report (in such discussions) as often as people who do have the problem, so it can be tricky figuring out how common a problem is only from a discussion complaining about that problem.

So you can certainly say that it has been reported commonly, but I don't think you can extrapolate from just that that most everyone is affected by it most of the time.

Now, if the same person goes between having status and not having status (but since status is so easy to get at HHonors, who does?) and can report that while not having status (and thus not getting upgrades) they get the bonus every time, and the same person changing nothing about their stay patterns or booking patterns gets the problem only when they have status and get upgrades, those would be better data points. But I would think most people are more interested in getting status than getting this Amex co-brand bonus, and thus how many people spend enough time both with upgrade-qualifying status and without it to have datapoint both ways for the same person?

But even such a single-person experiment would only prove the tendency, not prove how absolute it is.
You lost me with your overabundance of words early in your post, but I can assure you the issue to which I think (but can't be sure, because I couldn't make it all the way through) you are referring is not a myth and is related to on-property changes when it occurs. I have correspondence from a senior HH staffer indicating such. Pretty straightforward.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smmrfld
You lost me with your overabundance of words early in your post, but I can assure you the issue to which I think (but can't be sure, because I couldn't make it all the way through) you are referring is not a myth and is related to on-property changes when it occurs. I have correspondence from a senior HH staffer indicating such. Pretty straightforward.
The issue itself is not a myth, but the overstating of this issue (that it always applies) was clearly a myth.

It's not straightforward, because you took someone saying that the overstating of this issue was a myth, and you said that was "certainly wrong", when it's not. There's a difference between the issue itself and any overstating of the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.