Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

College sports team travel - can friend use Gold statuts for breakfast, etc?

Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:14 am
Original Poster

EDIT: Way too early to be creating a new post; of course I mean status and not statuts.

A friend of mine does a lot of travel with a highly ranked college sports team. He does the audio I believe, and travels with the Team. He got into the Mile and Points game around 6 to 12 month ago and asked me this:

With him personally having Hilton Gold status, but staying in a room booked and paid for by whoever at the college does the bookings, can he use his Hilton HHonors Gold status to get Complimentary Breakfast--and Executive Lounge access if one exists at any given property?

The Team tends to stay at higher-tier Hiltons and Hyatts; so the same question applies to Hyatt (as my friend has or will have Hyatt Platinum statuts). Even if someone else has purchased the rooms Payment--could be via POs, check, bank draft, a generic credit card, dunno. I can ask him if that's relevant here--can he have access to all the privileges a Platinum member would have? And if so, how?

I told him one avenue I'd consider, were it me, would be to get in touch with the GM and/or Revenue Manager of each Property the Team will at during its sports season and ask, very nicely, if he, as a Hilton Gold, or Hyatt Platinum, could have those privileges extended to him as a courtesy. Good or bad advice? It's worked wonders for me personally when I'm making a room request personally, and am paying for the room either with money or points. But I have no experience with Hotel Status and group travel.

Finally, would it be appropriate to re-post this question, edited, to the Hyatt Gold Passport forum? Or at least cross-link? Since the question applies to two chains--not just Hilton but also Hyatt.

Thanks in advance. Anything would help.

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Jun 25, 2015 at 3:17 am Reason: Typo plus etiquette for posting same Q to Hyatt forum
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
EDIT: Way too early to be creating a new post; of course I mean status and not statuts.

A friend of mine does a lot of travel with a highly ranked college sports team. He does the audio I believe, and travels with the Team. He got into the Mile and Points game around 6 to 12 month ago and asked me this:

With him personally having Hilton Gold status, but staying in a room booked and paid for by whoever at the college does the bookings, can he use his Hilton HHonors Gold status to get Complimentary Breakfast--and Executive Lounge access if one exists at any given property?

The Team tends to stay at higher-tier Hiltons and Hyatts; so the same question applies to Hyatt (as my friend has or will have Hyatt Platinum statuts). Even if someone else has purchased the rooms Payment--could be via POs, check, bank draft, a generic credit card, dunno. I can ask him if that's relevant here--can he have access to all the privileges a Platinum member would have? And if so, how?

I told him one avenue I'd consider, were it me, would be to get in touch with the GM and/or Revenue Manager of each Property the Team will at during its sports season and ask, very nicely, if he, as a Hilton Gold, or Hyatt Platinum, could have those privileges extended to him as a courtesy. Good or bad advice? It's worked wonders for me personally when I'm making a room request personally, and am paying for the room either with money or points. But I have no experience with Hotel Status and group travel.

Finally, would it be appropriate to re-post this question, edited, to the Hyatt Gold Passport forum? Or at least cross-link? Since the question applies to two chains--not just Hilton but also Hyatt.

Thanks in advance. Anything would help.
Yes, he should be able to get at least on-property benefits by showing his membership card at check-in. The real question is does the negotiated rate forbid membership perks. Also, many programs call for the member to stay and pay for the room with exceptions for direct billing. From the sounds of it they may be using master billing where a block of rooms are covered, and that usually excludes benefits.

Asking each property is the best approach as many apply some wiggle room to what they grant.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
He may be able to receive on property benefits but this is solely up to the property. Further, Hilton Honors recently clarified in the t and c's that on property benefits are only not available to those booking through an "eligible channel."
Eligibility for all on-property HHonors benefits, including complimentary Internet and MyWay benefits such as complimentary snacks and beverages, complimentary continental breakfast and space-available upgrades, requires a confirmed reservation made through one of the following channels:
◾Any official direct Hilton Worldwide hotel brand or HHonors website (for example, HHonors.com, Hilton.com, Hampton.com, etc.),
◾Hilton Reservations & Customer Care phone line (1-800-HHonors or local Hilton reservations office),
◾Hilton HHonors or Hilton mobile application,
◾Directly at a hotel in the Hilton Worldwide portfolio, or
◾Through an IATA accredited retail travel agent professional ("Travel Agent") booking through a Hilton Worldwide channel or the following Global Distribution Systems: Amadeus, Apollo/Galileo, Worldspan and SABRE.
◾On-property benefits are not awarded in the following circumstances:
◾Reservations booked through a non-Hilton Worldwide-direct booking channel or a non-designated GDS, third party website or any other channel,
◾Rates available on "opaque" websites where the hotel brand and specific hotel are not known until the booking is made, or
◾Third party hotel packages or travel packages not booked through one of the eligible channels.
See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ec-2015-a.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jun 25, 2015 at 11:56 am Reason: fixed
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
He may be able to receive on property benefits but this is solely up to the property. Further, Hilton Honors recently clarified in the t and c's that on property benefits are not available to those booking through an "eligible channel."

See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ec-2015-a.html
Isn't that: ... property benefits are only available to those booking through an "eligible channel"?

Given that is up to the property, I suspect they will consider the guest's value to them and choose accordingly. No reason to not ask.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Isn't that: ... property benefits are only available to those booking through an "eligible channel"?

Given that is up to the property, I suspect they will consider the guest's value to them and choose accordingly. No reason to not ask.
I fixed my typo. I did not say that the OP's friend should not ask. I noted that HH had recently clarified the t and c's in this regard. The old t and c's were not clear in this regard to our benefit.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:44 pm

If he is getting status/points for the stays, he should be able to get the benefits also. If he is not getting status/points, then most likely not unless the hotel will allow it.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If it is paid through a Master Account then he isn't entitled to points or benefits. If it's an individual folio (it doesn't matter who actually pays) then he is.

He might get them anyway if he asks nicely and someone at the hotel is feeling cooperative.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:05 pm

A friend of mine does a lot of travel with a highly ranked college sports team...The Team tends to stay at higher-tier Hiltons and Hyatts
Totally OT, but nice to know whatever college this is is spending their money wisely. I'm sure the "student athletes" on the team would perish if they had to endure a night at a lower-tier Hilton (or...gasp...a Doubletree)!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Totally OT, but nice to know whatever college this is is spending their money wisely.
I guess so. If they get a 50% discount at a large Hilton or only 10% at a small Hampton, which cannot accommodate large groups for dinner or breakfast, and the Hilton has great beds, etc.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Totally OT, but nice to know whatever college this is is spending their money wisely. I'm sure the "student athletes" on the team would perish if they had to endure a night at a lower-tier Hilton (or...gasp...a Doubletree)!
I used to work at a very high-end hotel who hosted a fair number of sports teams (both professional and collegiate). If I remember correctly, the lowest room rate we ever had was for a college football team.

Teams can generate massive profits for hotels...but not in room rates. Rather, it's the food and beverage that makes the money. Every team we had booked multiple meals in one of our ballrooms.

Professional and NCAA Division 1 teams also make great guests. Since these people travel on a daily basis, everything usually runs like clockwork. Plus, every team we ever hosted had a curfew.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I'll pass this info on and post any further questions he may have.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
One more thing to consider: I traveled with our football team in college and very rarely did I ever check in myself. Does your friend actually check-in or does someone else handle it and hand out the keys?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skunker
One more thing to consider: I traveled with our football team in college and very rarely did I ever check in myself. Does your friend actually check-in or does someone else handle it and hand out the keys?
Don't know but good question. He's scanning the thread but not a FT member; so if there's anything relevant I'll report back. Thanks again to all for the help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.