Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On line check in, yeah right.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: HH D
Past three days, all at Hampton Inns in the Calgary vicinity.

Was able to check in to a 10th floor room, while during the reservation process this would have cost extra.

Next two stays: was pre-assigned a junior suite - twice the size of a regular room I had paid for. Didn't bother to see what other rooms were available and checked in immediately.

So OLCI seems to work fine every now and then.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
OLCI here (Doubletree St. Louis Park) offered me a room with two doubles (I had reserved a King). I was able to select a King.

It also said that they'd try to upgrade me when I checked in. I asked at the front desk, and was upgraded to a King suite.

This was via the web site, so I could see floor plans (but not room layouts).
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
OLCI here (Doubletree St. Louis Park) offered me a room with two doubles (I had reserved a King). I was able to select a King.

It also said that they'd try to upgrade me when I checked in. I asked at the front desk, and was upgraded to a King suite.

This was via the web site, so I could see floor plans (but not room layouts).
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The person at the front desk of the last two properties I stayed at told me that if I use online check-in then I will get the room I've chosen; there will be no proactive attempt on their part to upgrade me when I physically present myself at the checkin desk. It's just easier for them, apparently. And because other folk have used online check-in then there are fewer rooms available for them to switch me to anyway. I think I might try just not using OLCI to see if that works out better for actually getting a space-available upgrade. Tomorrow will be a good time to try since I see that the property has allocated me a room with two double beds on a low floor near the ice machine despite my (Diamond) profile stating a preference for King on a high floor away from ice machines.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Managed echeckin at DT Edinburgh Grosvenor a few weeks ago - and got a castle view room to boot.

I also think you are better waiting to checkin if an upgrade has not come through.
eg. stayed at Hilton Sydney last night.
Had booked a basic King Room
Day before echeck only offered King Plus room up to Floor 25
Day of stay echeck offered preselected Exec Room on 35 and choices to 38

I suspect had I checked in before I would not have got the upgrade.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Nqyflyer
The person at the front desk of the last two properties I stayed at told me that if I use online check-in then I will get the room I've chosen; there will be no proactive attempt on their part to upgrade me when I physically present myself at the checkin desk.
I wasn't offered the upgrade until I asked for it. I don't mind asking; at least worst case I was guaranteed a King room.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:18 am

When I checked in at DT Aberdeen last week no upgrade was showing and I just selected a room tucked in a corner. When I checked in I had been upgraded two categories (Classic to platinum).

The one thing about echeckin is you very quickly learn which hotels really value their guests.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:46 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
I wasn't offered the upgrade until I asked for it. I don't mind asking; at least worst case I was guaranteed a King room.
I agree. I don't mind asking at check-in. And if I pick a room through echeckin, at a minimum I know what my room will be.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
They offer upgrades on the OLCI? I never seem to see those. Rather, my room is usually pre-selected as the exact opposite of my requests. I prefer high floor king, but will often be pre selected into two queens first floor. Obviously I change it, but have never seen these upgrades you speak of. In fact, I generally do better by not doing OLCI.
This has been my experience, and I had pretty much given up on even trying OLCI.

Now that I know that it sometimes has upgrades listed, I'll always check.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
On line check in, yeah right.

I am a Diamond. Did e-checkin at the DT Sterling VA. Was only able to select HHonors floor. There is a floor above that is the Executive level. Nothing available there. Arrived at the hotel with another Diamond who did not e-checkin. She received an Executive level room. At my turn I asked if that was available. Was told no it was full and would have to be downgraded because the door lock on my room didn't work. I asked about the message that we will do our best to upgrade..... and said if they were giving upgrades to non echeckins i would stop using it. I was then given an Executive level room.

TW
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Tolarian Wind
I am a Diamond. Did e-checkin at the DT Sterling VA. Was only able to select HHonors floor. There is a floor above that is the Executive level. Nothing available there. Arrived at the hotel with another Diamond who did not e-checkin. She received an Executive level room. At my turn I asked if that was available. Was told no it was full and would have to be downgraded because the door lock on my room didn't work. I asked about the message that we will do our best to upgrade..... and said if they were giving upgrades to non echeckins i would stop using it. I was then given an Executive level room.

TW
Sounds like another FDC making things up. Makes me suspect their statement about your eCheckIn room too (why was it still in inventory?). I do suggest submitting a complaint to the GM & HH as this is not the type of service they should be giving to Diamonds. I know it's becoming typical, but if the customers give in, then nothing will get better (and it can get a lot worse).

I'd also suggest posting your experience on TripAdvisor to increase visibility and maybe better catch the eye of the property management.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Same again this morning, the APP just locked up "loading my upcoming stays" and the website put me into a loop asking me to verify my status as human being by selecting all of the pictures containing first food, then sushi, before taking me back to the login page.

Grrr.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Ive used OLCI several times at HGI, which is fine since they do not have a lounge or "executive" floor. When I tried OLCI at the Hilton Chicago (Michigan Ave) last week I was offered a choice of rooms on floors 14 and lower only. I was able to select a lake view room on the 12th floor, (considered a low floor) even after checking the box that said for a fee I could be upgraded, sigh. We had to do the ride down to transfer over to a different bank of elevators to take me to the Exec level lounge each day - Not fun.

Last edited by ctporter; Jun 29, 2015 at 10:18 am Reason: corrected floor level from 9th to 12
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by ctporter
When I tried OLCI at the Hilton Chicago (Michigan Ave) last week I was offered a choice of rooms on floors 14 and lower only. I was able to select a lake view room on the 9th floor, (considered a low floor) even after checking the box that said for a fee I could be upgraded, sigh. We had to do the ride down to transfer over to a different bank of elevators to take me to the Exec level lounge each day - Not fun.
Did you inquire at the front desk as to better options?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Did you inquire at the front desk as to better options?
Yes, but was told that the room I pre-selected was better than the exec floor level rooms that remained. The guy in front of me was thanked for being diamond and offered a room up on the top floors, but since I had done the OLCI I was not. Oddly enough, the implication seemed to be that I had deliberately chosen that room and they would not move me unless I asked to be moved. I had to ask that as a diamond if I could not be upgraded and thats when they said I was in a good room as it was, but they would move me to a double bed room if I really wanted a higher floor. We were happy with a king room on the 12th floor and it was not that big of a deal to go down to 8 before transferring over to the elevators that took us up to 24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.