Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Disillusioned Diamond In Particular Hampton Inn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disillusioned Diamond In Particular Hampton Inn

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by IcHot
..."Oh, I have noted your membership number is on the reservation and you are a Diamond. Thank yewwww for your loyalty! What brings you to town? Have you stayed at Hampton before? We serve breakfast from 6-10 in the breakfast room blah blah blah..."

I figured out how Hampton worked a long time ago. Gimme the key, please...
I used OLCI at a Hampton last week. When I picked up my key packet the young woman at the front desk was friendly but got me through the process quickly without chitchat. When I paused and then asked her a question about breakfast she said she'd be happy to answer any questions I had. She said that when guests use OLCI the FD people (at that property anyway) aren't supposed to go through the whole spiel you referred to and are supposed to just get the guest on their way. Obviously if the guest wants to ask questions the FD folk are happy to answer them.

I wondered whether this was part of the new OLCI process. Anyone else run into this?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I used OLCI at a Hampton last week. When I picked up my key packet the young woman at the front desk was friendly but got me through the process quickly without chitchat. When I paused and then asked her a question about breakfast she said she'd be happy to answer any questions I had. She said that when guests use OLCI the FD people (at that property anyway) aren't supposed to go through the whole spiel you referred to and are supposed to just get the guest on their way. Obviously if the guest wants to ask questions the FD folk are happy to answer them.

I wondered whether this was part of the new OLCI process. Anyone else run into this?
Interesting...I have yet to ever use the OLCI as I feel it negates my chances for an upgrade, although I could be wrong. It seems to be the case though as when I do go through the process of OLCI it never gives me any "upgraded" room availability but several times (including a sold out property sans suites because of a concert this weekend) I've been given a suite upgrade.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
My Hampton preference is set to 250 points... yet I have NEVER been refused a bottle of water when asking for one at check in. Not once.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by DrSimi
Long time Diamond here....I've found lately when I go to any Hampton Inn the desk person will say "it looks like you've opted for points" and send me away without my token bottle of water and or snack and just give me my paltry 250 points.
B-Fast is included in Hampton rates for all. Back in the day, you were lucky to get cold hard-boiled eggs at a Hampton. If your really want better, then go to Embassy Suites----they give B-fast to all + free drinks during early evening. Oh yes, and your points.

Me? Hilton Garden Inn is just fine for me. Frankly, Hilton dropping fixed miles on the double dip is not good. Makes Hampton equal to the rest of the lot. @:-)
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
B-Fast is included in Hampton rates for all. Back in the day, you were lucky to get cold hard-boiled eggs at a Hampton. If your really want better, then go to Embassy Suites----they give B-fast to all + free drinks during early evening. Oh yes, and your points.

Me? Hilton Garden Inn is just fine for me. Frankly, Hilton dropping fixed miles on the double dip is not good. Makes Hampton equal to the rest of the lot. @:-)
I'd actually argue if you want the best valued breakfast for elites, go to an HGI. It's only free for Golds and Diamonds but it's reliably good. At the ES you're frequently stuck with long lines for the hot food as in my experience, ES properties are filled with families taking advantage of the value the ES offers.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by DrSimi
Interesting...I have yet to ever use the OLCI as I feel it negates my chances for an upgrade, although I could be wrong. It seems to be the case though as when I do go through the process of OLCI it never gives me any "upgraded" room availability but several times (including a sold out property sans suites because of a concert this weekend) I've been given a suite upgrade.
In my case the Hampton Inn had already proactively upgraded me to the room I had requested. I did OLCI in part to discourage them from changing their mind and giving it to someone else.

I use OLCI for 2 situations: First, to lock in a desirable room at a location I'm familiar with. Second, if I'm going to arrive late I use OLCI to lessen the chance of either being walked or being given the last crappy room right next to the ice machine or elevator when I arrive.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'd actually argue if you want the best valued breakfast for elites, go to an HGI. It's only free for Golds and Diamonds but it's reliably good. At the ES you're frequently stuck with long lines for the hot food as in my experience, ES properties are filled with families taking advantage of the value the ES offers.
I agree! One of the last times I stayed at an Embassy Suites years ago there were 43, count'em 43 people ahead of me in line for the hot breakfast. In addition there had been kids running up and down the hallway the night before and I'd had to call the front desk to get them to stop. Finally ES properties I've stayed in have the AC configured so that it's hard to get the bedroom as cool as I like. I don't stay at ES anymore.

The breakfast at HGI is less likely to be packed with families (although you run into the occasional sports team) and I like the offerings better than at ES.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I agree! One of the last times I stayed at an Embassy Suites years ago there were 43, count'em 43 people ahead of me in line for the hot breakfast. In addition there had been kids running up and down the hallway the night before and I'd had to call the front desk to get them to stop. Finally ES properties I've stayed in have the AC configured so that it's hard to get the bedroom as cool as I like. I don't stay at ES anymore.

The breakfast at HGI is less likely to be packed with families (although you run into the occasional sports team) and I like the offerings better than at ES.
I also agree, and in fact its the one thing that gives me pause when I book an Embassy (and in fact why I avoid them like the plague in the summer time). I actually like the Embassy Suite room layout but its just too much of a magnet for families (and I don't have kids so my tolerance is not very high). HGI is consistently the best place for a nice, hearty and dependable breakfast, there is no need to guess what the options are in advance.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by Miesque
HGI is consistently the best place for a nice, hearty and dependable breakfast, there is no need to guess what the options are in advance.
You're kidding, yes? Or, give us a clue which one or two you might be referring to. I know, some people's idea of decent fruit is melon.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hedoman
You're kidding, yes? Or, give us a clue which one or two you might be referring to. I know, some people's idea of decent fruit is melon.
I know I can get two eggs over medium and some bacon and potatoes and sometimes, when I am lucky, some corned beef hash as well as some of the side items that I tend to add such as cottage cheese, yogurt or a belgian waffle. Most of the eggs available on buffets or in ELs are that powdered egg scrambled eggs. As far as the fruit selection at HGIs, that is not typically their strong point, but its not out of line if not better than what most Hilton Executive Lounges offer. There are certainly some Hiltons and even Doubletree which offer nicer breakfast than the typical HGI, but there are a ton whose EL food falls short. Not to mention, I have a seat and a waiter and it is rare to wait for a table (good luck with that at some ELs). There is definitely nothing at Embassy Suites breakfast that is missing from an HGI breakfast and it is several levels above a Hampton. The coffee at HGI is also a step up from Embassy Suites and at least two steps above Hampton.

Last edited by Miesque; Apr 20, 2015 at 5:48 pm
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque
HGI is consistently the best place for a nice, hearty and dependable breakfast, there is no need to guess what the options are in advance.
Agree completely.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:37 pm

Ah...we can now add HGI breakfasts to your list of dislikes? Thought Hampton was the only brand to warrant your scorn, but obviously not. Maybe you should just avoid those properties since they seem to cause you such angst...just sayin'.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:36 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Ah...we can now add HGI breakfasts to your list of dislikes? Thought Hampton was the only brand to warrant your scorn, but obviously not. Maybe you should just avoid those properties since they seem to cause you such angst...just sayin'.
I dislike Hamptons as well and think they are a disgrace to Hilton-brand. And will avoid them. There is no angst but just a clever thought of risk/benefit/cost ratio.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Smile

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Unlike Hamptons that seem pretty consistent across the brand in USA in serving crap everyday, HGI breakfast quality can vary somewhat. It's possible to hit a good breakfast at HGI, but I haven't seen a hearty breakfast of quality.

I often find oranges at a HGI. Grab six, go back to room and make juice. Happy enough. And because it's included, will order eggs. But what sane person would pay $12.95 + tax more than once for what they serve? Stranded HGI locations excluded.

14 Hilton stays/nights last year, so I am avoiding the brand. It's not my fault they keep me as diamond. And as long as they keep me at this level, they'll get the nod over Econo Lodge.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I often find oranges at a HGI. Grab six, go back to room and make juice. Happy enough. And because it's included, will order eggs. But what sane person would pay $12.95 + tax more than once for what they serve? Stranded HGI locations excluded.
See that's the good part, very few. That way the breakfast area is usually pretty empty, you an get fast service and the food doesn't run out quickly the way it does at a Hampton or ES where everyone gets to eat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.