Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Is This Common for Hampton Inn? Hotel Not Honoring Confirmed Online Reservation

Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

A clerk at the Hampton Inn Ft Wayne (Dupont) told me this is Hampton policy, and I was wondering if this is true. I only stay at Hamptons a couple times a year, so maybe this is true, but I doubt. Here's what happened...

Showed up at the hotel last night with a confirmed reservation made online at the HH site, with an email confirmation. The front desk clerk told me the hotel was completely booked for the night. Good thing I had my confirmed reservation, right? No! She informed me that others had made reservations over the phone directly with the hotel, so the hotel would not be honoring my reservation.

Mind you, I wasn't being walked. When I asked for assistance finding another hotel, she informed me that was not her job. When I asked what I should do, having been dropped at the hotel without transportation to leave, she informed me that was not her problem. (Almost verbatim) When I asked to speak to someone else, I was informed there is no hotel manager. She claimed the previous manager walked out (her words) a week earlier. She informed me Hampton has a policy to honor phone reservations first, and that reservations made online at the HH site weren't actually valid until the hotel chooses to honor them. Is this really Hampton's policy? Or is she misinformed?

The second I gave her my name she knew she was not honoring the reservation, without having to look it up. Yet, the hotel did not call, email or otherwise give me any advance notice. She chose to have me just show up so she could tell me the reservation was not being honored. Is this normal for Hilton properties? This clerk seemed to think so.

Eventually, another clerk showed up and gave me my room, but this should have never happened. It almost seemed the desk clerk was unbalanced and her claim seemed ridiculous, but she kept insisting this was the hotel's policy, so I thought I'd check with the experts. Anyone ever heard of such a policy?

Last edited by CJKatl; Apr 14, 2015 at 3:59 am
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Eventually, another clerk showed up and gave me my room, but this should have never happened. It almost seemed the desk clerk was unbalanced and her claim seemed ridiculous, but she kept insisting this was the hotel's policy, so I thought I'd check with the experts. Anyone ever heard of such a policy?
The emboldened text pretty much sums it up. Contact HHonors and explain the encounter to them. Even though you got your room, IMHO you are entitled to something for the outrageous situation to which you were subjected. The FDC may have technically been right about helping you with finding another hotel and associated transportation, but this is no way to treat someone with a confirmed reservation.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I'm not looking for compensation. I just want her to know not to do that again. I'm a seasoned traveler and knew to stand my ground. Had the other clerk not shown up, I would have called Hilton and pushed the issue. A less seasoned, less pushy traveler might have fallen for this. It could put someone in a bad position. Someone up the food chain needs to make sure this weak link is strengthened. I think she took reservations over the phone, did not enter them into the system and was trying to cover her mess. My coworker, BTW, thinks she is somehow getting money out of this. At a minimum, it looks fishy.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
A clerk at the Hampton Inn Ft Wayne...

Of course there is no such policy. As a previous poster noted and your description supports, this was a rogue clerk. Common at Hampton (or any other hotel regardless of chain): no.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:54 am

If you had a confirmed reservation and they wouldn't honor it then that is the long and short of it. Hilton corporate will want to know about this because it is not just a customer service issue, it is damaging to their brand and bottom line and thus they will actually care. PM the hhonors representative, call corporate, do whatever is needed. This sort of thing shouldn't happen.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
"Mind you, I wasn't being walked."

You were walked. You had a confirmed reservation, showed up, and they didn't honour it. I'm betting Erin can assist you with this, the hotel is definitely confused.

Neil
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
"Mind you, I wasn't being walked."

You were walked. You had a confirmed reservation, showed up, and they didn't honour it. I'm betting Erin can assist you with this, the hotel is definitely confused.

Neil
I don't think he was being "walked". They didn't find him another hotel. The whole story seems really strange. Maybe she is a new employee at the end of a practical joke to see how far she would go to turn away a customer. Or someone tries to get her fired and told her the "Hampton Inn's Policy".
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
You were walked. You had a confirmed reservation, showed up, and they didn't honour it.
This is not what being walked is. Being walked is your reservation being effectively transferred to and honored at another property, more or less. The guest then walks (or drives) to said property for the night(s).

What OP experienced was refusal of service, which is different.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:22 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You should reach out via PM to the Flyertalk Hilton Representative.

This is so unacceptable and needs to be dealt with at the corporate level.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
I would have gone ballistic at that point. No hotel would do that.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Mind you, I wasn't being walked. When I asked for assistance finding another hotel, she informed me that was not her job. When I asked what I should do, having been dropped at the hotel without transportation to leave, she informed me that was not her problem.
You got your room, but I'd still report this to Hilton. They need to know they have a problem on their hands here. Frankly, she seems to be conflating Hilton direct bookings with third party.

What as the "other clerk's" reaction to all this? What was her reaction to his action?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The original clerk should be fired immediately, no questions asked. Not sure how much Hilton (corporate) can legally do to ensure this happens, but it very much needs to happen. Absolutely disgusting behavior.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
My coworker, BTW, thinks she is somehow getting money out of this. At a minimum, it looks fishy.
It does kinda smell like a scam....

David
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, this behaviour is unacceptable and needs to be escalated. I checked postings on TripAdvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Indiana.html and this does not appear to be a common problem. You might want to consider posting your issue on TA as well, there is an older post where management has responded. Not many properties monitor FT.

Ooops, picked wrong property, should be http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Indiana.html and I do see OP has already posted. I see the GM here also is replying to posts. I suspect that behaviour will be corrected.

Last edited by RogerD408; Apr 14, 2015 at 12:59 pm
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by pinniped
The original clerk should be fired immediately, no questions asked. Not sure how much Hilton (corporate) can legally do to ensure this happens, but it very much needs to happen. Absolutely disgusting behavior.
I would start with the hotel manager and let him/her do his job -- rather than take it to corporate.

Bob H

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.