Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

We Have it Pretty Good with Hampton Inn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We Have it Pretty Good with Hampton Inn

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355
I've never had any problems at a Hampton, but they're not always cheap, yet the expensive ones carry the same no-frills linens/towels and no-name bath amenities.
Neutrogena is the required brand of bathroom amenities for all Hampton Inns in the U.S., cheap or expensive.

Is Neutrogena considered no-name?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: HH Dia, UMP Premier Plat, AA Plat
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for any HH eyes that may be watching this thread. The Hamptons are really what sets HH apart from the other programs. I travel to a lot of areas far from urban centers. HH has great coverage with Hamptons and they are consistently "good enough." Even the older Hamptons are almost always clean and well taken care of.

I had a stay a couple weeks ago in a town that had no HH hotel (a Hampton was being constructed) and had to stay in a ICH hotel. I had to ask for a new room three times before getting one that was passable but still not great. I probably only ask for a new room in a HH property a couple times a year over 100-150 nights.

Every time I think about jumping ship and going to Marriott or Starwood, it's the Hampton's coverage and quality that keep me around. So kudos to HH. Now quit devaluing our points!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by kdw133
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for any HH eyes that may be watching this thread. The Hamptons are really what sets HH apart from the other programs. I travel to a lot of areas far from urban centers. HH has great coverage with Hamptons and they are consistently "good enough."
Exactly. I hate to sound like I am giving Hilton credit just for "existing", but travelers like you and I are a big portion of the hhonors customer base. When I do travel for work it is mostly to small towns and there is no other chain with which I could consolidate enough stays to get top status. Yet with Hilton I can count on there being a Hampton, make diamond on stays, and then get good mileage out of that status when I go on vacation internationally. There is no other chain that allows me to drop a pin basically anywhere on the globe and be confident that I can earn and burn. The big-money business travelers and the points bloggers who only stay in major cities may be in love with Hyatt, and the perks are certainly better than Hilton's, but for a lot of folks it is Hilton or bust if they really want to keep it all under one roof.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by loomis
Neutrogena is the required brand of bathroom amenities for all Hampton Inns in the U.S., cheap or expensive.

Is Neutrogena considered no-name?
Neutrogena is not what I get... http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8VTrDjLvPH...s1600/Set3.jpg
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Are you still getting those? I haven't seen those in months, maybe years.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by cjd
The Hamptons here in the UK are all fairly new (...) however, all the ones I have stayed in so far have those soap/shampoo/conditioner pumps fixed on the wall of the showers, which you don't appear to like! (...) they do have to be replenished.
Agreed. It's a Hampton Inn, but the few I have stayed at, had rates that are on par with Hiltons, but still they had empty soap pumps or empty remote control batteries.

I always carry spares of the aformentioned items, so not a real big deal, exept for my feet starting to avoid them.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Are you still getting those? I haven't seen those in months, maybe years.
Agreed; throwback! Sounds like someone accidentally added an extra zero to their order a while ago. Definitely all Neutrogena at places I've been to in the past year or so.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
I agree that the Hampton Inns are fairly consistent and pretty good. The comparative product for other chains is quite poor. Fairfield Inn for Marriott are usually OK but seem very sterile to me. The Holiday Inn Xpress is like rolling dice. Some are terrrible. Some are OK. All the beds are awful though at HIXpress.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I've never had any problems at a Hampton, but they're not always cheap, yet the expensive ones carry the same no-frills linens/towels and no-name bath amenities.
I actually like the Neutragena stuff that Hamptons have the best out of the various brands.

In my experience Hampton has the most consistent standards among the Hilton brands. They might not be the top of the line, but you know what you're going to get when you book a room at a Hampton. At a Doubletree or a Hilton it is a total crapshoot.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I only have two problems with Hamptons. One is that they are typically newer and built to a budget, which in my experience equates to a lot of neighbor noise. Second issue is purely subjective, but I find their pillows to be unusable. They re hard and made out of synthetic material which makes my head sweat like a pig.

Breakfasts are also pretty average at best.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CCarlson Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10

Compare this to other brands low tier chain and it's amazing how lucky Hilton elites have it. I was at a Four Points this weekend that was terrible. Awful service, broken elevators, threadbare carpet, bad lighting, a shower that wouldn't get hot (plus those soap/shampoo/conditioner pumps in the shower) and the list goes on from there. This is my second such bad Four Points. HIs are by in large far ahead of the competing Marriott and Holiday Inn properties too.

Just a reminder that for all of Hiltons fault which are many, I'm glad we have a low tier brand I don't dread staying at.
I've stayed at a few different Hampton or HI&Suites lately and they've all been pleasant, been upgraded at a couple, and have been pleasantly surprised. (went to Dobson NC for a vineyard trip to meet some friends, that was a very nice one FWIW) The rates, even for the one with a partial renovation in the kitchen happening, have been quite good.

Even the most "tired" one was clean and comfortable, and had a good staff.

The one FP I've been to, in Pineville NC, wasn't bad. Rooms were good there, plus was put on the SPG floor. YMMV.

WM
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
HGI is my favorite of the lower-end HH brands, but for a rural stay I'll take Hampton every day over Fairfield, Four Points, or any of the other random motel brands out there.

Holiday Inn Express is tolerable to me if I'm going even more rural than the Hamptons tend to go. (Yes, HIX goes even deeper into the boonies than Hampton, Fairfield, or 4P.) But if HIX and Hampton are next to each other, and both are reasonably new builds, than I'll pick Hampton every time even if it's a few bucks more expensive.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
My only (consistent) complaint with ... I prefer to drink out of anything other than a paper cup. Glass, plastic, whatever... but not paper.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
My only (consistent) complaint with ... I prefer to drink out of anything other than a paper cup. Glass, plastic, whatever... but not paper.
Then, it sounds like you need to stay at a full-service hotel that has such amenities.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I remember once here a couple years ago I mused about how much waste the daily breakfast process at all of these limited-service hotels was generating. (Across all brands/chains...) They all have some sort of "green" theme in their marketing, or at least when they're trying to get you to reuse towels, yet they all use Styrofoam plates, paper cups, plastic utensils, etc., generating huge amounts of garbage every day. In fact, it's so much garbage, that it often overflows the available bins in the dining area.

People generally responded that I was asking for a full-service amenity. I guess... But if I'm drinking out of paper cups, I have to admit I'm not all that motivated to hang up a dirty towel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.