Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Quick question on reward room availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Hey all,

I am looking at taking a quick trip to a beach on points. The deal is, I don't have hhonors points, I have 500k AMEX MR points which I would transfer to HHonors to book a room.

The thing is, I search a room on the Hilton site and see a points room and then when I log in, it disappears. Is this because I dont have a HHonors point balance? Will it change once I transfer?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cavafox
Hey all,

I am looking at taking a quick trip to a beach on points. The deal is, I don't have hhonors points, I have 500k AMEX MR points which I would transfer to HHonors to book a room.

The thing is, I search a room on the Hilton site and see a points room and then when I log in, it disappears. Is this because I dont have a HHonors point balance? Will it change once I transfer?
It's hard to imagine a worse use of MR points. You are devaluing those by approx. 67-75% if you transfer to Hilton.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I won't disagree with Kacee's assessment.

Directly to your question, HHonors award search is full of inconsistencies. Sometimes a reward room will not appear if you're logged in but don't have enough points. Sometimes it will appear, anyway.

If you don't know the nuances of point usage this is an excellent overview.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ch-2015-a.html
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I know the valuation is a pretty bad one. Some of the rooms I was looking at ended being about 1cent per MR point which isn't horrible.

I know the best MR valuations are airfare to europe (and even domestic with ANA/Avios) but I honestly don't see myself on a europe trip for years unless I pack up my army of 3 toddles with me.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:29 pm
cjd

You're correct. When logged in, you need enough points in your account to see the awards and make a reservation.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by cjd
You're correct. When logged in, you need enough points in your account to see the awards and make a reservation.
Is this new? Seems to me in the past it would say something like you need to purchase X points for $X to use this option. I specifically remember laughing at the ridiculous dollar amounts it would often require.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cjd
When logged in, you need enough points in your account to see the awards and make a reservation.
That isn't true with consistency, as shown by this prospective award redemption while I'm logged in.

Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:28 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That isn't true with consistency, as shown by this prospective award redemption while I'm logged in.

Okay, my mistake. I should have said sometimes it won't let you see the points required for the Award if you don't have enough points when logged in. Not sure about this, but perhaps this scenario applies to Standard Awards. Where Premium Awards are involved, does it let you know how many points you need to purchase to make that reservation. Only guessing here.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:51 pm

I wonder if anyone's ever taken Hilton up on one of those $35,000 "offers" ...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Those ridiculous premium room redemptions are one of several reasons why a good chunk of my redemptions are for the more modest properties during an unusual peak period (aka a room that is usually $150 and for that time frame is going for $400-500). An added bonus is the standard award rooms at those properties doesn't typically deviate too much for the upper range (not taking into account suites)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.