Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the ARCHIVE THREAD for Hilton Waikoloa Village
Print Wikipost

Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pokee
...It's such a shame that it's managed so poorly........
The issue isn't poor management, but disinterested management out to squeeze every possible dime from every guest. When a hotel or resort has very high occupancy and good turnover throughout the year, with limited competitive options in the area (just the Marriott, plus AirBNB), there is no incentive to do better, or offer more for guests.

Unless you're renting private, or staying at the Marriott, your only options are to shell out more money for either Hualalai, or the Mauna Lani/Mauna Kea area resorts further north, all of which price out well above the Hilton on most dates.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The issue isn't poor management, but disinterested management out to squeeze every possible dime from every guest. When a hotel or resort has very high occupancy and good turnover throughout the year, with limited competitive options in the area (just the Marriott, plus AirBNB), there is no incentive to do better, or offer more for guests.

Unless you're renting private, or staying at the Marriott, your only options are to shell out more money for either Hualalai, or the Mauna Lani/Mauna Kea area resorts further north, all of which price out well above the Hilton on most dates.
Another option in the area is HGVC Kings Land. My wife and I stayed there on a promo last Spring and really enjoyed it. Obviously a different type of property, but the ML & MK are as well. I have seen some decent cash rates at Kings Land. Not so much on points. At KL you also have the ability to go to the hotel for the pools if that's what you like.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Another option in the area is HGVC Kings Land. My wife and I stayed there on a promo last Spring and really enjoyed it. Obviously a different type of property, but the ML & MK are as well. I have seen some decent cash rates at Kings Land. Not so much on points. At KL you also have the ability to go to the hotel for the pools if that's what you like.
Yes, that's very true, although I was lumping the two properties in the same "you get what they want to give you" bucket. If you stay at the timeshare and come over to the resort to use the "cough" beach or pools, that muffin is still $9 as is your $16 virgin pina colada, not to mention the incredibly overpriced breakfast buffet.

At Hualalai, that virgin pina colada might be the same $16, but at the pool someone has given me a free popsicle, sprayed me with Evian and cleaned my sunglasses, aside from waiting with Michael Dell, Bill Gates, or Johnny Depp at the omelet station during breakfast (and the buffet is free for me and my clients, not so at HWV), which is more interesting than fighting for the last piece of papaya at the overpriced HWV breakfast buffet with Ralph Jenkins, software salesman from Toledo.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yes, that's very true, although I was lumping the two properties in the same "you get what they want to give you" bucket. If you stay at the timeshare and come over to the resort to use the "cough" beach or pools, that muffin is still $9 as is your $16 virgin pina colada, not to mention the incredibly overpriced breakfast buffet.

At Hualalai, that virgin pina colada might be the same $16, but at the pool someone has given me a free popsicle, sprayed me with Evian and cleaned my sunglasses, aside from waiting with Michael Dell, Bill Gates, or Johnny Depp at the omelet station during breakfast (and the buffet is free for me and my clients, not so at HWV), which is more interesting than fighting for the last piece of papaya at the overpriced HWV breakfast buffet with Ralph Jenkins, software salesman from Toledo.
At Hualalai you're also easily paying at least $500+ more/night than any of the Hilton properties. With the $3k I'm saving I can buy a lot of $9 muffins or $16 VPC's. I'll even buy a whole case of Evian and have my wife pour it over me poolside. It also doesn't matter to me who I'm staying in line with at the omelette station in the a.m.

Staying at the HGVC we bought a bit of our food and stocked the fridge, mainly for breakfast. We also found a few of bars/restaurants nearby that had attractive pupu's at Happy Hour and also had some meals at off the beaten path places that we thoroughly enjoyed. We did have lunch at the oceanside restaurant at the FS and it was a very relaxing and beautiful place, but honestly the food I had was no better than the one I had the day before at Kohala Burger & Taco. Talk about comparing apples and oranges.

Why does Hilton charge what they do? Because they can. I'm guessing that a large number of people who go there hardly leave the property.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Wow, you guys have got me a bit nervous about my upcoming stay!

There in a couple of days time in an ocean view room in the ocean tower.

Any tips and expectations?

HH gold, and needing late checkout.

Anywhere nearby worth visiting for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Not amused there's a $30 resort fee plus $25 parking
Old May 25, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by aceman

Lots of good spots in the Queens Marketplace. There's a grocery store with decent food, too.

Had a great burger in Waimea.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by aceman

My wife and I stayed at Kings Land last April and enjoyed a couple of VERY casual late lunches at http://www.kohalaburgerandtaco.com It's probably about 20-25 minutes north of the resort area. If you head to Waimea, check out a VERY local breakfast place http://hawaiianstylecafe.com/menu-waimea/ Huge portions, decent prices and friendly staff and customers.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
My wife and I stayed at Kings Land last April and enjoyed a couple of VERY casual late lunches at http://www.kohalaburgerandtaco.com It's probably about 20-25 minutes north of the resort area.
Agree, Kohala Burger and Taco is very good. Very casual is an understatement.
For good dinner alternative to $$ resort restaurants, also try Cafe Pesto-Kawaihae, in same building as Kohala Burger and Taco.
http://cafepesto.com/
Old May 26, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: DL PM
For breakfast we just picked up some groceries and ate in our room, but I managed to snag an ocean tower suite (with refrigerator) as a Diamond. Not sure if you'd be able to swing this as gold but it wouldn't hurt to ask what upgrades are available.

The buffet on site isn't really worth $30, but as Gold you should get $10 off coupons.

For dinner we really enjoyed Roy's at the King's Shops. It's just as pricey (or more) as the on-site restaurants, but the food and service are high quality.

A coworker of mine recommended the Lava Lava Beach Club (just south of the Marriott), but we didn't make it there.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
For breakfast we just picked up some groceries and ate in our room, but I managed to snag an ocean tower suite (with refrigerator) as a Diamond. Not sure if you'd be able to swing this as gold but it wouldn't hurt to ask what upgrades are available.

The buffet on site isn't really worth $30, but as Gold you should get $10 off coupons.

For dinner we really enjoyed Roy's at the King's Shops. It's just as pricey (or more) as the on-site restaurants, but the food and service are high quality.

A coworker of mine recommended the Lava Lava Beach Club (just south of the Marriott), but we didn't make it there.
Staying at Kings Land we had a full kitchen and gas grills. We did the same and ate breakfast in most a.m.'s.

We also did Happy Hour at Lava Lava Beach Club and Tropics. Both offered drink and pups specials that were very reasonable. Our big splurge was lunch at the Beach Tree at the FS. Honestly the fish sandwich at Kohala Burger and Taco was just as good, if not better. Obviously the scenery at Beach Tree is much better.

Last edited by birdiedouble; May 26, 2016 at 9:21 am
Old May 26, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Agree, Kohala Burger and Taco is very good. Very casual is an understatement.
For good dinner alternative to $$ resort restaurants, also try Cafe Pesto-Kawaihae, in same building as Kohala Burger and Taco.
http://cafepesto.com/
When we visited there was also a nice shaved ice place in the same plaza. Great combo.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:19 am

Hello,

I am considering to stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in early July. I have two questions regarding the diamond benefits offering by this hotel

1) There are plenty of reports that this hotel does not provide a free breakfast to Gold members. How about Diamond? Just $10 coupon or free breakfast?

2) Many have said that do not count for the room upgrade. How about late checkout request? I don't care about the room upgrade at all but late checkout is extremely crucial to me since I will be leaving to the airport at 5-6pm.

Thank you,
Old May 30, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare
Hello,

I am considering to stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in early July. I have two questions regarding the diamond benefits offering by this hotel

1) There are plenty of reports that this hotel does not provide a free breakfast to Gold members. How about Diamond? Just $10 coupon or free breakfast?

2) Many have said that do not count for the room upgrade. How about late checkout request? I don't care about the room upgrade at all but late checkout is extremely crucial to me since I will be leaving to the airport at 5-6pm.

Thank you,
There are no freebies at this hotel. The $10 off coupon x 2 people is the best you can do.

Late checkout is highly unlikely, but you never know. I know they have hospitality rooms if you want to freshen up before you leave for your flight.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:19 pm

Last time we stayed, about 2 years ago, we received $10 x 2 x #nights coupons that can be used at any restaurant. Also, we paid a small fee to get some sort of card that gave us 10% off food. I want to say, it was $10, and it was worth it as we spent over $100 on property.

We were on an award stay, and they upgraded us to Ocean View room in the renovated tower, next to the dolphins. That was a nice and unexpected upgrade. I did email the GM before our stay, and this was our return trip to the property, so maybe that mattered. Maybe it was a relatively low season, late January, and we are Diamonds, who knows. It was very good location for the big pool and gym area.

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by mudpuppy

Got an ocean tower room, had a refrigerator but nothing else. Did the buffet one day just to burn off my $10 coupons.
Lava Lava beach club was a fun casual place food was fine for that environment, nothing mind blowing. Was one of those places where you see the waitress once when she takes your order, once for a perfunctory "how is everything" and then once when the tip, sorry check comes. All other work seems to be done by very hard working bus boys, almost wanted to tip them and not her, but thats another matter. (hopefully they pool....)

Originally Posted by godsquare
Hello,

Thank you,
Late checkout here is 2pm took a bit of prodding to get it (oh sorry there's someone checking into your room early... etc etc). Was offered extra hours at $35 an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.