Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors such as broken links, for example to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the ARCHIVE THREAD for Hilton Waikoloa Village
Print Wikipost

Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Yeah, good choice on your part. All around a better location than Palace Tower, too. We ended up in what we booked (4th floor Palace tower with partial ocean view... technically a resort view), because we had been upgraded, but had seperate reservations on my wife's name and mine, and the only way to get a King Bed for the whole stay was our original booking.

If I had any expectations going in, I would've been disappointed, but this was one of those rare trips where I didn't care about our room type, because we weren't going to spend much time there.
Yeah my wife and I were shocked how much further Palace Tower was from the lobby than Makai, even though my wife was the only one that had to go to the lobby often, because she went to the Marketplaces to shop at the supermarket a couple times. I do have to say though, the Palace Tower architecture was nice compared to the Makai Tower, but my wife really took advantage of her balcony front seating for dolphin-viewing haha.
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Any recommendations on how to get a better price on a pool day pass? We're staying next door at Mauna Lani point next week (week of 4/4) and looks like it's $100 for adults as opposed to the typical $50 (guess they know it's spring break!). I have a handful of Honors points but I doubt enough to cover the cost if that was even an option...any other discount opportunities for a family of 4?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are they really worth even $50? My kids love pools but they said hwv were cold and overcrowded (as pool by ocean tower was closed for repairs).. I d just go to any of the nice beaches nearby and save pool time for Arizona or florida
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
In May 2021 the main pool was too cold to enjoy for long periods of time. Not sure if that was a one-off thing, but maybe not.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
Are they really worth even $50? My kids love pools but they said hwv were cold and overcrowded (as pool by ocean tower was closed for repairs).. I d just go to any of the nice beaches nearby and save pool time for Arizona or florida
Not sure but we frequent the Mauna Lani area so were hoping for a new experience for the kids and the lazy river and water slides sounded like a fun treat for them.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
There's like 2 water slides. I definitely wouldn't be paying $100pp for it though.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I want to explore the Big Island next February with a friend. We will probably do some hiking, sightseeing, and go out to eat for dinner. I have enough points to stay here but we are also thinking of just booking an Airbnb in Kona (and saving the points for somewhere else). What would you do if you were going with a friend and not your family/spouse?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Adding a recent trip report! Stayed here for 3 nights in the Palace Tower (award stay, Diamond member if that matters). Apparently we received an upgraded room, resort was very full anyways so I didn't bother to check for anything better. Either way, it was high floor and could see the lagoon/ocean from the balcony, so decent enough. The room itself was surprisingly large with high ceilings, separate luggage/closet area, and bathroom area was a good size (although a bit dated and water pressure from the shower was meh). Diamond dining credits are $18/person, max 2 people so $36 daily, cannot be rolled over. We used this for takeout at Nui every morning, but be warned $36 for two people won't go too far.

For the resort itself, the lagoon was a highlight - swimming with turtles and renting paddle boards was really fun, so we didn't end up checking out the other pool areas. There's also dolphin quest on site, I have my own feelings about dolphins in captivity but for what its worth, they claim to be doing valuable research and saving dolphins and that the avg lifespan of their dolphins is 18 years vs. 11 years in the wild so others can make their own judgment. For getting around the resort, you can either walk (fastest), take the tram (slower), or take the canal boats (slowest but relaxing and only runs from 2-10 pm). Queen's marketplace is a quick 5 minute drive away for those wanting to stock up on groceries. Overall it was an enjoyable stay, I'd probably recommend it more for families vs. romantic getaways with it being a mega resort, but at 70k/night vs. 997+ cash rates, it was a great redemption.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any recent stats at the Ocean Tower? Are all/most of the rooms renovated or is it still a hodgepodge of dated styles along with ongoing construction noise and dust?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by lily23
Adding a recent trip report! Stayed here for 3 nights in the Palace Tower (award stay, Diamond member if that matters). Apparently we received an upgraded room, resort was very full anyways so I didn't bother to check for anything better. Either way, it was high floor and could see the lagoon/ocean from the balcony, so decent enough. The room itself was surprisingly large with high ceilings, separate luggage/closet area, and bathroom area was a good size (although a bit dated and water pressure from the shower was meh). Diamond dining credits are $18/person, max 2 people so $36 daily, cannot be rolled over. We used this for takeout at Nui every morning, but be warned $36 for two people won't go too far.

For the resort itself, the lagoon was a highlight - swimming with turtles and renting paddle boards was really fun, so we didn't end up checking out the other pool areas. There's also dolphin quest on site, I have my own feelings about dolphins in captivity but for what its worth, they claim to be doing valuable research and saving dolphins and that the avg lifespan of their dolphins is 18 years vs. 11 years in the wild so others can make their own judgment. For getting around the resort, you can either walk (fastest), take the tram (slower), or take the canal boats (slowest but relaxing and only runs from 2-10 pm). Queen's marketplace is a quick 5 minute drive away for those wanting to stock up on groceries. Overall it was an enjoyable stay, I'd probably recommend it more for families vs. romantic getaways with it being a mega resort, but at 70k/night vs. 997+ cash rates, it was a great redemption.
This is a great update as I will be there in two weeks, so thank you for sharing
Did you Uber to the hotel from the airport?
Is the mall worthwhile as we are looking at taking the hotel bus (free or $2) to get snacks and food as I keep reading and your comments somewhat validate this, it is expensive to eat on-site?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
This is a great update as I will be there in two weeks, so thank you for sharing
Is the mall worthwhile as we are looking at taking the hotel bus (free or $2) to get snacks and food as I keep reading and your comments somewhat validate this, it is expensive to eat on-site?
We had a rental car so didn't need to Uber. The mall is definitely worth it to stock up on snacks and food and there is also a small food court there along with some other restaurant options. I think the trolley there might be $3 now, or ~20 minute walk. On-site dining was a bit expensive but as expected for a resort (example of dinner restaurant menu here), but restaurants were also very crowded, had long waits or slow-ish service so we chose to dine offsite more often.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:55 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni

YMMV, but of all the islands the Big Island is the one I feel least able to do without a car when staying in typical resort areas. As far as resort areas on the Big Island, the WV is where Id probably most want a carand we enjoy walking goodly distances.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T.., it is expensive to eat on-site?
depends on whether you consider $60 pizza expensive
Old Apr 12, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Thank you lily23 for the additional information

The property wanted $160 for a late check out as we fly out at 10 PM, so we are renting a car for our last day and doing the island tour. We figure having the car for $50 is way better than $160 for the late checkout and we get to see a lot more of the Island.

As Lily23 said as a Diamond member 70K in points a night VS the $$$ a night is a good deal and we are going to have fun while there but be strategic in our spending on the property as I hate throwing good money away on overpriced activities.
I appreciate learning more about the property, looking forward to the trip because of the value of the points VS the cash for staying there.

Thank you again
lily23 likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: AS100k,Hilton Diamond ,IHG Platinum,Bonvoy Platinum
Resort Fees

I'm using points for the Hilton Waikoloa Village for 7 nights . Correct me if I'm wrong that a resort fee does not apply to this stay? If this has been addressed please move this thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.